4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

coilovers / lowering

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2001, 03:22 PM
maxnout2k

i've got a 98 maxima se with 235x45x17 rubber that has been lowered 1.75" via intrax springs and tokikos. the issue is i still have about 2.00" of wheel well clearance. i want to narrow that gap. i've checked into coilovers from a few vendors like ground control etc., and they tell me that the car will basically be almost riding on rubber stops, with a really crappy, bouncy ride if i lower it any further. and they pretty much talked me out of considering coilovers. i'm looking for knowledgable recommendations from folks who have been down this road in the past.

Old 02-13-2001, 10:14 PM

If you get the ground controls, you will be riding on the bumpstops. The Intrax is honestly as low as you can go and have a decent ride. I swapped from Intrax to ground controls and the ride got real bouncy. If you keep it at a decent height, it's not so bad, but if you drop it low, then your car will bounce like crazy. Right now mine are dropped pretty low, like 3.5" (when I parked next to a stock maxima, his car looked like a 4x4 next to mine). I have like .5" of gap between my tire and fender, and on the back it's tucked. And when I look under there, I can see that the shock has less than 2" of travel before hitting the bumpstop. I don't know about you, but 2" isn't a whole lot of travel. The only way to not have this happen is to get the Cattman's. His shocks are for an Eclipse, and I believe the shock shaft is shorter, so you can drop it low and still have some travel (I could be wrong on this though.) This is why so many high performance shocks and coilovers have shorten shock bodies, unfortunately, none of them are made for a Maxima.
Old 02-14-2001, 09:30 AM
maxnout2k

Originally posted by Shadow
If you get the ground controls, you will be riding on the bumpstops. The Intrax is honestly as low as you can go and have a decent ride. I swapped from Intrax to ground controls and the ride got real bouncy. If you keep it at a decent height, it's not so bad, but if you drop it low, then your car will bounce like crazy. Right now mine are dropped pretty low, like 3.5" (when I parked next to a stock maxima, his car looked like a 4x4 next to mine). I have like .5" of gap between my tire and fender, and on the back it's tucked. And when I look under there, I can see that the shock has less than 2" of travel before hitting the bumpstop. I don't know about you, but 2" isn't a whole lot of travel. The only way to not have this happen is to get the Cattman's. His shocks are for an Eclipse, and I believe the shock shaft is shorter, so you can drop it low and still have some travel (I could be wrong on this though.) This is why so many high performance shocks and coilovers have shorten shock bodies, unfortunately, none of them are made for a Maxima.
thanks for the insight my friend. i talked to my suspension guy last night and he said he can cut a small section out of the intrax springs that i have, and drop the car another
".75 without adversely affecting the quality of the ride. once that is done, then i can start looking at different wheel/tire combos. ultimately i'd like to go with a 40 series tire, replacing my current 45's, but still be able to fill up the wheel well some. what is your setup? i believe i saw that you had 19" rims. your aluminum interior trim looks great. what pisses me off is that there are few places with performance stuff for maximas. everything is for the little cheapo imports that all the kids have. i was at the nopi show over the weekend in long beach, ca and there was only one maxima in the parking lot. mine.