4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

OMG OMG...today (09/20/03) 3:45am ME(99 SE-L) vs. (02 SE) = O M F G !

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003 | 01:24 PM
BOSS

OMG OMG...today (09/20/03) 3:45am ME(99 SE-L) vs. (02 SE) = O M F G !

...so it's 2am last night, I'm at this club with my buddies and then this one guy I know shows up. I've known him for a very long time, but only recently he purchased an 02 Maxima SE (automatic), and I had mine for almost a year. He has been my biggest rival in clubs (I know...sounds childish) ever since he got his Max. Well, I guess you've figured out why by now. ...Exactly, he basically never had respect for the 4th gen Maximas claiming each and every time I see him, including yesterday, that they're nothing but a pile of slow ****.

Anyway, I always stood in defense of the 4th gen Maximas, arguing with him EVERY SINGLE TIME we saw each other...getting to the point where we would push each other around. Sounds like the stupidest **** to fight over but trust me...he is by far the most annoying guy you'd ever meet.

The reason why I think he had such bad opinion of the 4th gen Maximas is because one of his buddies has a 97 SE automatic, which by the way is very uncared for (dirty, not ever tuned-up hence of the power loss, scratched up etc.). Well he raced this 97 SE automatic many times and obviously whooped the guy by far each time...therefore coming to the conclusion that all 4th gen suck @SS.

Lately, he went to the 1/4 track and got some very good runs I must admit. He is a very good driver, I also admit that. His best run was a 14.79X with an auto 02 SE, which BTW is basically stock except for a hybrid intake. We've been planning to race for months and settle this thing once and for all but never got a chance to because I'd either have my car at a club and he didn't have his or vice-versa.

Nonetheless, you probably figured out what happens next judging by the title of this thread. The annoying guy, as I will call him, lives like 5 minutes away from me so we pretty much take the same route home each times (first 2 highways, and then some side streets). Since we were at the same club and left at about the same time I wasn't all that surprised at what occurred thereafter.

...driving down 290 west, I decide to take the long way home and exit off on route 83 south. I love to push my car hardest when driving home from a club say in the morning, when still dark. BTW, I continuously look for people to race with especially during that time. So I'm doing like 90mph down the freeway and all of a sudden I recognize an 00/01/02 SE in front of me way from a distance. I am very good at distinguishing cars from a distance. NEway, I can tell right away that this Max has clears, tints, some funny monitors inside, etc.. So I step on it and pass him by going around 100mph (he was driving pretty calmly, at 70 I would say).

Here is when [B]ALL HELL IS ABOUT TO BREAK LOOSE![B] It's funny though cause although I saw this Max, I had no clue who was inside. Because of the tints and all, I couldn’t see the driver, but either way dismissed the possibility that it could be the annoying guy right away. Well I exit on the ramp and so does he so by now I'm getting a little more suspicious. I always provoke other driver to race me by accelerating fast and breaking suddenly in this repetitive manner until they get the point. Well, with the unknown driver, I used a different tactic. I started flashing my emergency lights from time to time when in front of him, switching between my left and right turn signal on the straightaway, letting him know to pull up besides me.

Then, he does something so unexpected. The quiet driver turns into a surprising beast of some kind, punches it and I could all of a sudden see him nearing me very very fast I would say like 100+, while I'm at like 65/70. I immediately down shift and go WOT, but it's too late he is already going too fast for me ever to catch up so he passes me by doing like 110. But I don't give up...!!!!!! I redline my sweet (bone stock) VQ in 3rd gear and then go to forth at around 90+mph. He eased up a little then, but seeing me furiously approach he again punches it. The weather is perfect BTW! OMG, it was around 45 F last night in Chicago...pretty darn cold already.

By now, we're both doing 105, then 110, 120, 125, side by side with no advantage of either one...maybe like centimeters. Then suddenly, the up-until-now unknown driver slows down, waving at me to slow down as well so I do. I can sort of see him through the tints, but still have no clue who he/she is. He rolls down his window while I do the same and BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM - WE GOT THE ANNOYING GUY laughing hysterically and all excited that we finally met, not even knowing about it. We slow down to like 40mph and start talking...knowing that the approaching light ahead just turned red on route 83 and north ave.

I immediately yell out "...red light, red light, red light ahead! We race....we race! He's smiling and all, but we're both extremely excited! He rolls up his window first so I know right then that he's serious about it and to no surprise, so was I. The light turns green pretty fast not giving me enough time to "stage" properly so his takeoff is way better than mine (which tells u right there that my takeoff really sucked cause we all know that a 4th gen SE 5-spd is much faster off the line then is an 02 SE auto). My wheels spin all throughout the first gear all the way till 6.5K rpm. By the time I'm half way through 2nd gear, the annoying guy pulls on me and has me by a full car length. Then we go to 3rd and 4th, hitting only like 95mph at which point I knew that in no way I will catch up...I admit - he takes it - he wins. But the story continues...HAHA...

We start talking again but somehow I could tell that his voice is kind of funny, as if he were a bit surprised by something, but unsure himself by what. He's not an idiot, and I could tell right away that he knew about my faulty start and that if I took off "correctly", things would have been different so to my surprise he DOESN'T COMMENT! OMG, can you believe that? Yes, it's the annoying guy who used to rip of me and my car so much.

Neway, he tells me to race again and obviously I agree but that we should turn around and head route 83 north cause there are usually cops down south. So we do that and we hit the same exact intersection (83 and north ave) again, this time from the other side. That time, I had all the time in the world to stage...I decided to take off at some 2k RPM...not 3.5k like before. Boom, we go on green and both of our wheels spin, but mine don't as much as before! Well guess what happens? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH OMG by the time I get to second I have him by a full car length. I know that the 02 SE 3.5L beasts have a tendency to catch up passed 60+mph so I continue to rev it up. I'm doing extremely well BTW, switching gear with so much speed and accuracy...I don't think it could've been done any better. NEway, I go to third and he starts pulling just a little on me but not enough . I hear his car switch gear because his intake in extremely loud, while I have mine in 3rd, some 6k+ RPM approaching 90mph, then I go to 4th (again, with an awesome shift) and I swear to god I am like a 1.5 car lengths in front of him when he's had enough and decides to slow down. I do the same.

He now tells me to follow him so I do...we stop at a gas station and talk. He rolls down his window and his first words were ones I will never forget - "...damn....is that a 99 SE-L...?" (Stupid question, cause he knew well that it was). I say "....yeah!" Then, he says "...daaaaaaamn!...I'm surprised dude!" Once I heard that line coming FROM HIM, THE ANNOYING GUY, I thought I was in heaven! Maybe I truly was! We talk a little more about cars and he shows me his intake and all and it's all good and then we decide to go home, but before we do.......well yes! U guessed it - he wants to race again...hey, best out of 3 right? Hell yeah!

We take side streets this time, which lead right to his house. All lights are green so we're both like WTF? Then, we're both every irritated so we STOP on green at an intersection and wait for red Then, light turn green we go again...one last time. Same procedure all over again, I get a phenomenal start and again by the time we hit 80mph I have him by a car length and we both slow down. He is now very surprised and says nothing....we talk a while, exchange numbers cause he told me to come to the 1/4 track sometime soon with him so I agreed.

NEway, that's my story and by far the most interesting race between 2 powerful Maximas that will make history in my book.

Thanx for reading ....and feel free to comment.
Old 09-20-2003 | 01:29 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

cliff notes?

what have you run at the track again?
Old 09-20-2003 | 01:36 PM

Way to represent the 4th gens. At least the guy finally learned his lesson. Great write up as well. Congrats.
Old 09-20-2003 | 01:37 PM
BOSS

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
cliff notes?

what have you run at the track again?
It surprises me...I've been to a 1/4 track only once in my life and only got to do 2 runs while there because it was crowded. On my second run I did a 15.3. I really felt though that I could've done better and done upper 14's and am 100% sure of it. It takes practice as I noticed. My Max is bone stock. He did a best of 14.79X but he got to run like 10 times. I've seen people improve: (worst run) - (best run) = .8/.7/.6 etc. seconds especially during their 1st time ever at a 1/4 track.
Old 09-20-2003 | 01:44 PM

You ran a 15.3 on a stock automagic 4th gen? Oh, nevermind you have a 5spd. I think I had you confused with somebody else.

Anyways, way to represent! Yup, there is a dead spot in the wide automatic gearing on the 02's right around 80-90 mph when they shift to 3rd. There is no hole in the 5spd gearing though. The only thing the 02/03 auto guys have is better launch consistency (can put down 14's stock much more frequently). 4th gen manuals can do the same, but it just takes much more skill to pull it off. From a roll the cars are pretty equal.
Old 09-20-2003 | 01:45 PM
Just the tip.

Long story, but entertaining. Nice kill.(even if it was another Maxima). 4TH GENS RULE!!!!
Old 09-20-2003 | 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
You ran a 15.3 on a stock automagic 4th gen? Oh, nevermind you have a 5spd. I think I had you confused with somebody else.
Old 09-20-2003 | 02:18 PM

like the story. glad to see u showed him up. you still feeling the adrenaline in ur system??
Old 09-20-2003 | 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
You're right. It wasn't you.
Old 09-20-2003 | 02:27 PM
BOSS

Originally Posted by driver824
like the story. glad to see u showed him up. you still feeling the adrenaline in ur system??
Yes, definitely! I was shaking for hours after the race lol
Old 09-20-2003 | 02:58 PM

lol great kill! Last night/evening was excellent weather. When I was coming home on Devon, me and 4 other cars were playing "who could get to the signal first" type of game. I went from 5th place to 1st, but I had to turn off on Pulaski. Even though it wasn't a real race, I had them all!!! HAHAHAHA
Old 09-20-2003 | 05:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

great story and great job
Old 09-20-2003 | 07:37 PM
Banned

he let u win

i raced a 02 max auto on 20s tho and had him buy like 2-3 cars
Old 09-20-2003 | 07:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Great kill man!! and a good story...are you a writer?
Old 09-20-2003 | 08:08 PM
BOSS

Originally Posted by maxima984
Great kill man!! and a good story...are you a writer?
No, I'm not a writer. I guess I just do OK when I get excited...that is, write good. And no...to the person above! - he did not let me win !
Old 09-20-2003 | 08:16 PM
Sports Button FTW

i must be the suckiest driver ever or 02's are just better than us at top gear cause every 02-03 i ever raced on the highway i got spanked with no room for recovery. I have bad numbers on the track but i find it hard to believe that you/we can keep up and/or even BEAT an 02 maxima. Maybe off the line but they will roar right past us.

Good kill nonetheless
Old 09-20-2003 | 09:36 PM

That is so childish and dangerous....just be careful not to kill anyone. I know it was a RUSH, but you could've not made it home to tell us with either you or other club'ers going home in the conditions we all know everyone is in.

BE CAREFUL, PLEASE
Old 09-20-2003 | 10:06 PM

much love to the SE-L 3 pedals.. i knew that 02/03 marketing scheme was all hype!!..we RULE.

btw ibtl
Old 09-20-2003 | 10:14 PM
V^___^V

Originally Posted by meccanoble
i must be the suckiest driver ever or 02's are just better than us at top gear cause every 02-03 i ever raced on the highway i got spanked with no room for recovery. I have bad numbers on the track but i find it hard to believe that you/we can keep up and/or even BEAT an 02 maxima. Maybe off the line but they will roar right past us.

Good kill nonetheless
i guess that 02 driver didn't step his gas pedal correctly during the race.

post this in 5th gen and see what they gotta say about your race...
Old 09-21-2003 | 12:16 AM
DoGGy

wow that was a long novel !
Old 09-21-2003 | 05:25 AM

nice story of testosterone. glad there werent any accidents.
Old 09-21-2003 | 06:18 AM

holy teenage colloquisms!

Did you need a fake ID to get into those clubs?
Old 09-21-2003 | 07:23 AM

IMHO racing owns all! But dude, please don't do it on public roads. It only takes one out of the ordinary situation to hurt or even kill someone. btw I didn't read the whole thing but if you took an 02 max nj.
God bless,
dan
Old 09-21-2003 | 10:46 AM
BOSS

What the hell is wrong with you people! What, you want me to post this in the 5th gen forum (to the guy above) because....? What? You think I made this **** up and they will laugh at me? I have nothing to prove to you or anybody else. I proved it to myself and am happy with it so to those who don't believe that a spanked an 02 Max SE you can just go and P!SS oFF!

Don't forget that I have a 99 SE-L 5-spd, which is much faster than 99 automatic....much much faster. Also, don't forget that his 02 Max SE was an automatic...So, I don't get what some of the dumb people on this forum are talking about. I drive a 5-spd so I have lots of room for error and to beat an 02 Max SE takes nearly a perfect run every time, that means nearly perfect take-off and gear switching. He had a freakin automatic...there's nothing one can do in an automatic...the room for error is almost none! You don't have gears (unless you do change gears, which you do without the clutch either way) so all you do is floor it and that's about it.

In the end, I just wanted to say that I'm dissapointed in the people on this forum who (probably) think like the "annoying" guy did. If you do own an 02 Max SE automatic, I suggest you STFU and don't talk smack until you actually race say a 99 SE-L 5-spd like mine, with a more than just a decent driver inside. I did race so I can talk...and he's not a newbie driver, as well. Although annoying, the guy did drive many 5-spd vehicles before the Max and I always admitted that he is a good driver. BTW, my Max has 57K miles, his Max is newer and has only 30K.

Lastly, to all the people above telling me not to race ....why the hell not?! First off, I never race when say I had a beer or something. That night I drank absolutely nothing and believe it or not I felt very relaxed and comfortable at 4am in the morning, until of course after the race. I'm from CHicago...actually a suburb some 15 minutes away...and believe me that a 4am there were practically NO cars on the road. The straightaway we raced was actually sort of a highway, although it is not. It's a 3 lane smooth surface route....couldn't have found a better strip...trust me.
Old 09-21-2003 | 01:40 PM

I have a 95 gxe manual...and I have raced an 02-03 automatic on the freeway...and from 70 to 117 it was dead even between the two....stupid speed limiter held me down.

all i have is HKS intake....and a damn good driver
Old 09-21-2003 | 02:35 PM

Good kill... 99 SE-L has an advantage of being quite light (even compared to the other gen 4s). That combined with a 5-spd gives you a good advantage over the much heavier 2002, that is an auto.

We have a guy here in Toronto, with a 99 SE-L who ran 15.0 bone stock... 14.8 I think with a y-pipe only. I personally have raced 2K2s at the track... I have a few more mods but did beat a 2K3 6-spd and 2K2 6-spd. His trap speed was higher though... meaning that any distance past 1/4 mile he'd completely own me!

I had just installed my MEVI when I beat him and incidentally, I am slower in the 1/4 mile since I installed the MEVI. I lost about 20lb.ft of torque in my midrange. I'm waiting to get my JWT ECU and then see if I can get a few runs at the track against 2k2/2k3 Maximas.

Stock vs stock, if you have a light gen 4, you might be about even with a 2k2/2k3 auto... but they will own us on top end.
Old 09-21-2003 | 03:13 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

damn bro, seems like you over react to **** way too easily CALM DOWN a lil bit
Old 09-21-2003 | 03:34 PM

this is the funniest thread ever.

Seriously, is this a joke? I mean, I believe that the race happened, but noone would ever write all that and be serious.

By the way, before I typed this i took a shower and then I thought about eating something, then I ate something and then I turned on my computer and then....
Old 09-21-2003 | 03:40 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by on_alert
this is the funniest thread ever.

Seriously, is this a joke? I mean, I believe that the race happened, but noone would ever write all that and be serious.

By the way, before I typed this i took a shower and then I thought about eating something, then I ate something and then I turned on my computer and then....

Old 09-21-2003 | 03:45 PM

Yeah it was pretty funny. You can feel the enthusiasm as your read the words. Club Rivals.. thats great. Kids these days.
Old 09-21-2003 | 04:09 PM
Dev

way to represent the "slower" 4th gens bro

lot of people get caught up with the fact that we only have 190hp at the crank...but there are many other things to factor in...which im sure you showed your ignorant friend
Old 09-21-2003 | 04:27 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

I would say you could make you own movie or publish your own book about the story you just had....... what good way to rep the 4th gen.....
Old 09-21-2003 | 08:31 PM

Awsome Kill dude. IM glad that happened to you, and you came out victorious. Yes, Please be careful on the road, Im sure you know that already and hear it all the time. I like to get it in on the roads sometimes also But thats cool man. Makes me feel like crap scince i have a 98 auto I cant belive 5spds are that much faster lol. But everyone on here, Mark these words..........ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN out on the roads. Races like this didnt really suprise me, because you never know. Its possible for even the underdog to come out victorious for various reasons, as stated here in this thread as an example. Anything really is possible, and always expect the unexpected. Win some, Lose some. Thats the key.

But back to the tread. Fabulous man. Great job. He will think about that now, and Im sure you will become friends with the bully now. Great story, well spoken.

Later

Nick
Old 09-21-2003 | 08:31 PM

the newer I35 spanked the hell out of me and my car. the added torque and displacement, i think, are a lot to handle. i used to think the manual tranny made my car so much faster than an auto, but after a while i found it could be a huge misconception.
but thanks for the bedtime story man
Old 09-21-2003 | 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by sil SE
the newer I35 spanked the hell out of me and my car. the added torque and displacement, i think, are a lot to handle. i used to think the manual tranny made my car so much faster than an auto, but after a while i found it could be a huge misconception.
but thanks for the bedtime story man
The new 3.5L from Infiniti is a G35.

As for it spanking you... that is a possibility considering they are 285HP... (or is it 280HP)... and built on the same chassis as the 350Z (correct me if I'm wrong) which is a rocket. So no contest there.
Old 09-21-2003 | 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by BOSS

Lastly, to all the people above telling me not to race ....why the hell not?! First off, I never race when say I had a beer or something. That night I drank absolutely nothing and believe it or not I felt very relaxed and comfortable at 4am in the morning, until of course after the race. I'm from CHicago...actually a suburb some 15 minutes away...and believe me that a 4am there were practically NO cars on the road. The straightaway we raced was actually sort of a highway, although it is not. It's a 3 lane smooth surface route....couldn't have found a better strip...trust me.
I'm sure that's what all illegal street racers say before they crash and die. =/ Regardless of what you say, it's dangerous with or without the beer. Like somebody else in this thread said, it only takes one out of the ordinary situation to hurt or kill somebody, or maybe even yourself.
Old 09-21-2003 | 09:37 PM

You're an idiot. I hope you get thrown in jail soon..
Old 09-21-2003 | 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by speedemn
The new 3.5L from Infiniti is a G35.

As for it spanking you... that is a possibility considering they are 285HP... (or is it 280HP)... and built on the same chassis as the 350Z (correct me if I'm wrong) which is a rocket. So no contest there.
nah i meant the 2002 i35 sedan. maxima counterpart. it took off on me from the light. its like our vq on steriods.
Old 09-21-2003 | 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by jnmunsey
You're an idiot. I hope you get thrown in jail soon..
boy is tht rude. we all have those times were we have pushed the limits. if u say no to that statement, then ur saying u dont speed.??!! yeah this was an extreme but WTF is ur problem??!!

god forbid he has some fu*kin fun!!!
Old 09-21-2003 | 09:43 PM

street racing is such a sticky issue.
a random encounter in the midst of the night is fun once in a while. but overdoing it when provoking the other guy is a waste of time. either way its the driver's call. i guess an empty highway is relatively "safer" but two guys driving hard side by side on the road is already risky. anything can happen

Quick Reply: OMG OMG...today (09/20/03) 3:45am ME(99 SE-L) vs. (02 SE) = O M F G !