4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clutch is SQUEALING!!!! Please HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2001, 07:00 PM

Lately, I've noticed when I let the clutch out on my max, I've been hearing squealing.. It seems that I might need a new clutch. Has this ever happened to anyone?? What is the best clutch for the money. I have no S/C or NOS. Just the usual mods.... Centerforce? Stillen? Exedy?? Please help. I need directon...
Old 02-13-2001, 07:25 PM

Hey same things happening to me! I dunno what it is
Originally posted by swartzzz
Lately, I've noticed when I let the clutch out on my max, I've been hearing squealing.. It seems that I might need a new clutch. Has this ever happened to anyone?? What is the best clutch for the money. I have no S/C or NOS. Just the usual mods.... Centerforce? Stillen? Exedy?? Please help. I need directon...
Old 02-13-2001, 08:29 PM

Squeel

Originally posted by swartzzz
Lately, I've noticed when I let the clutch out on my max, I've been hearing squealing.. It seems that I might need a new clutchPlease help. I need directon...
If the noise happens after you release the clutch, it,s probably the throw out bearing. This bearing is responsible for pushing against the pressure plate which releases the pressure of the clutch on the flywheel. If you end up replacing it you may as well do you clutch and check to see if the pressure plate and flywheel are okay or if need replacing or resurfacing.
Old 02-13-2001, 10:41 PM

I had the same problem. So I took my car to the dealer to have it checked out. They said the clutch was fine, and it shouldn't be a problem. It doesn't affect the performance of the car so I can live with it.
Old 02-14-2001, 05:22 AM

Throwout bearing

Originally posted by dch95
If the noise happens after you release the clutch, it,s probably the throw out bearing. ...
I respectfully disagree. If a clutch is adjusted correctly the throwout bearing (a/k/a clutch release bearing) turns at zero rpm after you release the clutch. Therefore it makes no sound after you release the clutch regardless of the bearing's condition. A bad throwout bearing can make a shrill sound when the clutch pedal is pressed (part way or fully).
Old 02-14-2001, 01:29 PM

Re: Throwout bearing

- My clutch has been making a groaning noise for about two months now. It usually starts up once the car has been driven for over ten minutes, but sometimes comes on earlier than that.
- A friend thinks that its just the little starter button at the base of the clutch pedal (the one that prevents starts when the clutch is out). But do you think that it might be my T/O bearing?
- Thanks.
Old 02-14-2001, 03:21 PM

Maxima Clutch Groan

Originally posted by SleeperSE
- My clutch has been making a groaning noise for about two months now. It usually starts up once the car has been driven for over ten minutes, but sometimes comes on earlier than that.
- A friend thinks that its just the little starter button at the base of the clutch pedal (the one that prevents starts when the clutch is out). But do you think that it might be my T/O bearing?
- Thanks.
You are hearing Maxima Clutch Groan. The sound is coming from the clutch itself, not the throwout bearing and certainly not from the "little starter button". It is not a symptom of a defect. Consider it a characteristic of the Maxima.

If the throwout bearing were bad you would hear the squeal with the clutch pedal "floored". If it is Maxima Clutch Groan you will not hear it until the clutch is engaging.
Old 02-14-2001, 05:11 PM

Re: Throwout bearing

I respectfully disagree. If a clutch is adjusted correctly the throwout bearing (a/k/a clutch release bearing) turns at zero rpm after you release the clutch. Therefore it makes no sound after you release the clutch regardless of the bearing's condition. A bad throwout bearing can make a shrill sound when the clutch pedal is pressed (part way or fully).
I guess I,m assuming that the noise is being heard while the clutch is being released. Do you think it,s possible though that the bearing would not make the noise while being depressed but could make it during the release? I relealize that after release, there is nothing to cause it to spin but just wondering if the bearing was shot that maybe it might still spin a little. I,m asking because even though I have a 5 speed Celica, I have never heard the noise personally although I did change the bearing out last time I did the clutch (225,000 miles). Just preventive maintenance on my part. TYIA