4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Adding RSB to a Maxspeed / GR2 setup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 01:14 PM

Adding RSB to a Maxspeed / GR2 setup?

Would it be overdoing it to add a rear sway bar to my newly ordered suspension? I think I read somewhere that RSBs are best for stock susp, but I'm not sure just how true that is.

Anyone have a similar setup and running WITH an RSB?
Old 09-26-2003, 01:55 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by polishpunk68
Would it be overdoing it to add a rear sway bar to my newly ordered suspension? I think I read somewhere that RSBs are best for stock susp, but I'm not sure just how true that is.

Anyone have a similar setup and running WITH an RSB?
im not a 4th gen but the rsb was on before my springs and struts. i dont think it would be overdoing it. it is just going to tighten it up that much more. another 2k2 near me said he put the rsb on after his first set of springs and did feel a difference but its no where near the difference you feel when you go from stock to a rsb. they relatively cheap so i say go for it. put an org sticker on the bar and give the ricers something to look at when you walk them.
Old 09-26-2003, 02:13 PM

It'll tighten up your rear and you'll feel a difference if you make a tight turn at a fast speed or if you change lanes on the highway very fast. I think it cuts down on body roll or something

I'm planning on getting a FSTB and a RSB on my MaxSpeed/GR-2 combo
Old 09-27-2003, 03:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i have maxspeeds with agx, front/ rear strut bars and rear sway bar. get it.. .its not overdueing it at all. one problem with the maxima chassis is its not very rigid compared to cars today. even with all my bars, i still feel some body roll. u should be able to find an addco for under 100.
Old 09-27-2003, 05:51 AM
Kevlo for President

i have RSB and FSTB and i am going to go maxspeed/GR-2
when i added the RSB, it felt like a totaly differnet car. i barely had body roll. so hopefully when i add the maxspeed/gr2 combo it will be even better then it is now
Old 09-27-2003, 09:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I plan on gettin a RSB also with my Maxspeed/KYB AGX set up. It wont hurt the suspension, it could only make it better. I dont hit corners hard, but hey.......You never know when them Hondas wanna battle GT style .......gotta hit them corners.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:05 PM

On the negative side....

....you will be much closer to the limits before the tires go (rear tires).

RSB tightens the rear of our car pretty good, and with a combination of Maxspeed and GR-2, I think it would be comparable to my setup (RSB, Maxspeed, AGX 2/5).....but like I said, it's easier to fishtail the car compared to stock setup during emergency manuevers.

Make sure your tires are up to it, because no body rolls = tires need a lot of work to do to maintain grip. Using stock setup, the limit (fishtailing) comes more progressively compared to Maxspeed setup with RSB.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by ardika
....you will be much closer to the limits before the tires go (rear tires).

RSB tightens the rear of our car pretty good, and with a combination of Maxspeed and GR-2, I think it would be comparable to my setup (RSB, Maxspeed, AGX 2/5).....but like I said, it's easier to fishtail the car compared to stock setup during emergency manuevers.

Make sure your tires are up to it, because no body rolls = tires need a lot of work to do to maintain grip. Using stock setup, the limit (fishtailing) comes more progressively compared to Maxspeed setup with RSB.
Thanks for the reply, this is exactly what I was looking for.... looks like I won't get an RSB until after I get my 17s and good tires
Old 09-27-2003, 01:37 PM

You are welcome. I experienced this first hand since I have mine with Maxspeed, and my gf with stock suspension.

Even though my car is flatter during cornering, but the transition of loading the tires is totally different between these two otherwise similar cars.

Mine did fishtail on I-94 a while ago when I tried to avoid a raccoon. It ended up in median, no injuries or damages, but I need to remount-and-mount my tires (Dunlop SP9090 with 70% thread). So, even though you are not adding RSB, take your time to learn your new suspension handling.

Originally Posted by polishpunk68
Thanks for the reply, this is exactly what I was looking for.... looks like I won't get an RSB until after I get my 17s and good tires
Old 09-27-2003, 03:46 PM

What tires you got now? I'll be getting a FSTB soon and a RSB next year. I'll be getting new rims and tires next year so I want some recommendations on good tires
Old 09-28-2003, 06:05 AM
Kevlo for President

get some Continental ContiExtremes, they have the highest ratings on tirerack for the price
Old 09-28-2003, 11:34 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I'd pass on the RSB if you have a lowered suspension. The RSB will introduce more bind on the lowered suspension plus the rear may become too tight that it's far easier to loose control. I had a RSB with my Intrax and I took off the RSB and noticed the car felt far more athletic and easier to throw into turns. If you want to tighten up the chassis, subframe connectors are the key. Easily the best refinement mod out there.

BTW, Motor Trend generated better handling numbers when they ran the Stillen SC Max WITHOUT the RSB.

Dave
Old 09-28-2003, 02:13 PM

Dave,

Danng....!

I guess my suspicion about this is true. BTW, I took the time (2 weeks) to put together my stock intake, replace the starter and knock sensor, since you and Tom stated that stock intake is better.

Back to the topic, I think I might want to take off the RSB. It's easier to fishtail with RSB, and I think with proper loading technique, you could take a corner faster. But, the car would be more "nervous" if you don't load the tires going into a fast corner (or fishtail immediately if you are doing an emergency manuevers).

Having said this, I remember a post by a member who got into an accidents with his Max (the car was bought from another member, probably BrianV?). He was trying to avoid another car on the highway, did an emergency manuevers, and ended up fishtailing and hit another car. His car has lowered suspension and RSB.

Without RSB, I believe body roll would be greater, but it makes the car more nimble.

On the plus side, with RSB...you could probably get a 18X10 with proper offet and 255 tires to keep that "fishtailing" in check.

Originally Posted by Dave B
I'd pass on the RSB if you have a lowered suspension. The RSB will introduce more bind on the lowered suspension plus the rear may become too tight that it's far easier to loose control. I had a RSB with my Intrax and I took off the RSB and noticed the car felt far more athletic and easier to throw into turns. If you want to tighten up the chassis, subframe connectors are the key. Easily the best refinement mod out there.

BTW, Motor Trend generated better handling numbers when they ran the Stillen SC Max WITHOUT the RSB.

Dave
Old 09-28-2003, 02:18 PM
Kevlo for President

arn't RSB's adjustable? when i get this combo installed, what if i move hte 2 u-bolts/poly urathane bushings towards the middle? won't that make it less stiff?
Old 09-28-2003, 02:24 PM

Kevlo911,

Good point. But mine is an Addco...so adjustability is somewhat limited.
Old 09-28-2003, 02:40 PM
Kevlo for President

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....RSB+adjustable

Addco is adjustable, maybe not alot. but it should be enough
Old 09-28-2003, 02:54 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by kevlo911
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....RSB+adjustable

Addco is adjustable, maybe not alot. but it should be enough
not trying to argue but i was under the influence that the closer the bushings were to the end, that would allow less body roll than if they were placed more towards the middle. perhaps, im reading the other thread incorrectly.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:54 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I took off my RSB today and all i can say is, BODY ROLL. I feel like im gunna roll this baby over on the highway. I recomend the RSB to any one, lowered, stock, pimpin, or racing. It is the best thing besides low pro tires.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:02 PM

True.

You are correct. Of you placing towards the end of the bars, it would be tighter. If you place them towards the middle, it would allow more roll. That's why I stated it's somewhat "limited", especially compared to Stillen's.

It's just that things are cooling down here in WI.....otherwise I could take my car and see what's the best setting.

Originally Posted by sloppymax
not trying to argue but i was under the influence that the closer the bushings were to the end, that would allow less body roll than if they were placed more towards the middle. perhaps, im reading the other thread incorrectly.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i honestly didnt feel much of a difference after i installed the RSB on my already lowered maxima... maybe a little less understeer. i think i felt more of a difference after installing the FSTB, which tightened up the steering somewhat.