4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

question for those who have open a 4th gen tranny

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003 | 09:57 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

question for those who have opened a 4th gen tranny

When looking at the synchros, can you tell if they are worn or need to be replace. Or is it something that just goes bad without any visable indication?

Any insight would be helpful. I may be having to make a claim on my rebuilt tranny warrenty.
Old 10-03-2003 | 11:36 PM
SXN
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i believe with the synchros (like any gear) you can see signs of wear. the pitch of the teeth isnt as deep, and you can see signs of wear on the sides of each tooth if somethings up. a big help is finding particles in the transmission fluid (atleast for an auto) i know thats where metal shavings and problem causing material ends up. someone confirm before you to and demand a tranny rebuild
Old 10-04-2003 | 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by SXN
i believe with the synchros (like any gear) you can see signs of wear. the pitch of the teeth isnt as deep, and you can see signs of wear on the sides of each tooth if somethings up. a big help is finding particles in the transmission fluid (atleast for an auto) i know thats where metal shavings and problem causing material ends up. someone confirm before you to and demand a tranny rebuild
thanks. anybody else.....
Old 10-04-2003 | 06:24 AM

not sure, but i shot some metal chunks from my tranny, right through teh shell. and sh*t was so destroyed inside, i couldn't get it open...LOL so i never bothered sice i had a new tranny on order.. this one just ****ting around. 1st and 2nd gear i belive went in my car. probally some other stuff. when i drove it in 1st, i had very bad violent shaking like some major whell hope...LMAO(5spd BTW)

i'd look for signs of where like the teeth grinded? or like grooves or somthing. also look if you have any little metal debris in your tranny oil. do you know whats wrong wiht it? why was it taken apart?
Old 10-04-2003 | 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by greenmax95se

i'd look for signs of where like the teeth grinded? or like grooves or somthing. also look if you have any little metal debris in your tranny oil. do you know whats wrong wiht it? why was it taken apart?
I had my differential bearings replaced by a shop a few months ago. I made a point to the shop that I wanted anything replaced tha was looking bad. I did not want to have to touch this tranny ever again. He replaced the bearings with the proper shims but said everything else looked good.
5K miles later I am having a hard time getting into first from a stop. Think it might be my 1st gear sychro. Just want to know if the shop should have easily seen a bad sychro while they had my tranny apart. I have not told the shop about it yet, but just want to be informed my self befor I ask them to honor their warrenty
Old 10-04-2003 | 08:00 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
I had my differential bearings replaced by a shop a few months ago. I made a point to the shop that I wanted anything replaced tha was looking bad. I did not want to have to touch this tranny ever again. He replaced the bearings with the proper shims but said everything else looked good.
5K miles later I am having a hard time getting into first from a stop. Think it might be my 1st gear sychro. Just want to know if the shop should have easily seen a bad sychro while they had my tranny apart. I have not told the shop about it yet, but just want to be informed my self befor I ask them to honor their warrenty

i dont know if im wrong or not, but i dont think 1st gear has a synchronizer, only 2-5th? or something like that, maybe im wrong, but also hav you had ur trans fluid done recently? also maybe you have air in the lines or the clutch isnt fully engaging when depressed
Old 10-04-2003 | 08:40 AM

So, can someone tell me if a synchro gets visably worn?
Old 10-04-2003 | 09:00 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Yes, syncros can be visibly worn, but I think Nismo14 is right in that 1st doesn't have a syncro. If it's hard to to get into 1st, double clutch and blip the throttle (even at a stop). I do this all the time and the shifter goes into gear like butter. I started doing this because my tranny has always been a little resistant going into 1st. Double clutching really helps in 1st at a stop or at a roll.

Dave
Old 10-04-2003 | 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dave B
Yes, syncros can be visibly worn, but I think Nismo14 is right in that 1st doesn't have a syncro. If it's hard to to get into 1st, double clutch and blip the throttle (even at a stop). I do this all the time and the shifter goes into gear like butter. I started doing this because my tranny has always been a little resistant going into 1st. Double clutching really helps in 1st at a stop or at a roll.

Dave
thanks Dave. it makes sense that 1st would not have a synchro when I think about the purpose the serve in the first place.
Never had a problem with 1st untill recently. Yes, bliping the throttle or going into 2nd then 1st usually does the trick. I will take it by the shop who did the work just to see what he thinks. better to let them know there may be a possible problem now before my warrenty is up.
Old 10-04-2003 | 09:19 AM
Conecarver

Mike, so sorry to hear about your continuing problems. How about draining a bit of the diff fluid out and sending into Blackstone labs? Maybe they can see something w/o you having to drop the tranny out and open it up?

I drained out my Unocal fluid last Friday when I switched to MT90. Blackstone should have my results in a week or so.
Old 10-04-2003 | 11:41 AM
SXN

depending how recently he changed it, they may not see a problem. When you get a tranny problem, a lot of guys change the fluid to give them some extra protection, if the fluid was changed, then all the imperfections and metal etc would be in the last set of fluid
Old 10-04-2003 | 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by SXN
depending how recently he changed it, they may not see a problem. When you get a tranny problem, a lot of guys change the fluid to give them some extra protection, if the fluid was changed, then all the imperfections and metal etc would be in the last set of fluid
I put in Redline MT-90 about 2K miles ago. I helped the shifting problem considerably but it is still there.
Old 10-04-2003 | 03:18 PM
SXN

yea so sending it in for testing probably wouldnt show all the problems or atleast not the full extent of it. Im not saying the problem was IN the fluid, but gear wear and unwanted deposits would be left in the fluid, and show in analysis