4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

So a Y-pipe needs to be used with an intake for real gains?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 09:53 PM

So a Y-pipe needs to be used with an intake for real gains?

I read on this site that the pipe by itself usually yields 5-10. And I've learned to be a cynic, after getting screwed a couple times, so I'm going to be guessing five. An intake needs to be used in conjunction for any real gains? How much do you usually see with both? What combos work good? It's a 95 se, with 70K. I don't wanna drop $400 for nothing but a louder car. How difficult is the pipe to install? I haven't done any work on my car yet besides maintenaince, but I'm pretty good mechanically. I figure most shops won't install it, because of the pre-cats. This car is my first, and my baby, and I don't want to take her to some unreliable, run down shop to see if they'll put it in. Anyone know any decent places around Mukilteo, WA? Thanks.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:54 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

u dont need both, their more independant of each other than what anyone else says. it might help to relieve the restriction of air, but thats about it and that may give u a few top end hp but thats about it
Old 10-06-2003, 09:57 PM
ivelweyz

A y-pipe alone gets you 10-15hp to the wheels(~20 at the crank?). This isn't a civic where the magazines multiply the gains by 3 and give you that **** to believe...

Old 10-06-2003, 10:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Eric425
I read on this site that the pipe by itself usually yields 5-10. And I've learned to be a cynic, after getting screwed a couple times, so I'm going to be guessing five. An intake needs to be used in conjunction for any real gains? How much do you usually see with both? What combos work good? It's a 95 se, with 70K. I don't wanna drop $400 for nothing but a louder car. How difficult is the pipe to install? I haven't done any work on my car yet besides maintenaince, but I'm pretty good mechanically. I figure most shops won't install it, because of the pre-cats. This car is my first, and my baby, and I don't want to take her to some unreliable, run down shop to see if they'll put it in. Anyone know any decent places around Mukilteo, WA? Thanks.

I had a Jim Wolf pop charger for over a year on my car. I put on the y-pipe 10 months ago. I definetly felt the difference with the y-pipe installed. I have an auto. I just went back to the stock intake, with a K&N filter. The K&N may not give you more than a few ponies, but you wont have to buy another filter again. I honestly cannot tell if there is any big diffference in performance between the two intakes. I think I may have a little better pull at the bottom end and maybe a tad less up top(like on the freeway), that may be due to the car being a lot quieter though. I will gladly loose a couple ponies so that my car is quiet. I highly recommend this set up(K&N OEM type filter and a y-pipe), the car is quiet and has extra power that you can feel .
Old 10-06-2003, 10:54 PM
SLOW

Y pipe itself is good for about 15 at the wheels. 5 is rediculously low and 10 is still selling it short. Lets put it this way my best trap speed when stock was 93.0, my best trap speed with just the y pipe was 96.5. 3.5mph gain in the 1/4 mile. I didn't notice any additional improvement when I added the intake.

Installation will take a first timer about an hour to 1.5 hours. After you know what you are doing you could repeat the install on a friends car in probably 20 minutes. Make sure beforehand though that your cat bolts are not rusted to nubs or else you will have to get them cut off with a cutting torch or the like.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:03 AM

I got the hp figures off this site,not the forum, but the main page, under Max FAQs.

Quote:
"How much power will the Y-pipe make?
The Y-pipe by itself will make about 5-10hp at the wheels. To get the most out of the y-pipe, you REALLY do want to get a highflow intake of some sort. Whereas the intake will make about 3-5hp by itself and the y-pipe 5-10hp, the combination has been dyno'd to produce 20hp at the wheels. "

You guys have dynoed yours? I mean, not a dyno given by a website who is selling these pipes, but fellow max owners who did independent tests and got consistent numbers of 10-12.

And on installation, is it easy to take the heat shields off/on? I haven't lifted it up and taken a good look yet, but just peeking under the car it looks like the shield is partially covering where the pipe and the cat bolt together.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:46 AM
MDr

Removing heat shield is NOTHING compare to the bolts on the precats.
PBBlaster and soak in time is really what you need here.

I got the hp figures off this site,not the forum, but the main page, under Max FAQs.

Quote:
The Y-pipe by itself will make about 5-10hp at the wheels. To get the most out of the y-pipe, you REALLY do want to get a highflow intake of some sort. Whereas the intake will make about 3-5hp by itself and the y-pipe 5-10hp, the combination has been dyno'd to produce 20hp at the wheels. "

You guys have dynoed yours? I mean, not a dyno given by a website who is selling these pipes, but fellow max owners who did independent tests and got consistent numbers of 10-12.

And on installation, is it easy to take the heat shields off/on? I haven't lifted it up and taken a good look yet, but just peeking under the car it looks like the shield is partially covering where the pipe and the cat bolt together.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:24 PM
SLOW

Quote:

That's not my dyno, it's MaxVQs. I am a firm believer that the ypipe is good for 15hp at the wheels by itself. I myself dynod when I had both Y pipe and intake, and put down 182whp. I never dyno'd the car stock however. But you can infer from my gain of 3.5mph through the 1/4 mile that the gain is significantly more than 5-10whp. Keep in mind I saw ZERO increase in 1/4 mile time or speed when I added my intake to my already Y-pipe equipped car, so you can make an assumption based on that data that the intake doesn't really do much. Besides we don't drive on the dyno, we drive on the street and on the track so splitting hairs about dyno numbers really doesn't help us much