4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help, Missfiring, need major help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 07:51 PM
be the change u want2C

Help, Missfiring, need major help!!!

Hey, I have a 99 GLE with about 52k miles on it. I just had my KS replaced and my Upstream o2 sensor at the dealer. My SEL was comming on so I took it in, I thought they would have fixed it but they havent, its still missfiring, It feels like my car has no power at all. I just put my intake back on too. It sounds like POK POK POK really fast and loud. I had new sparkplugs put in about 5k ago, there NGK R Laser Platinums so I dont think its that,
Before I took it in to the dealer I did a Diagnostic and it said Cyl 1 Missfire, I just Gaped my cyl 1 plug to about to .45 to see if it will fix but it didnt, My ignition boots look good still, WHat could it be?
Old 10-07-2003, 08:00 PM

take it back to the dealer they didnt fix the problem , its their fault but one thing you might want to try is to put a spark plug on the coil and crank the engine. If you see spark you know its not the coil. Also the puk puk puk... are you sure thats not a valve tap ?
Old 10-07-2003, 08:01 PM

Take out the coil pack from #1 and switch it with #3 to see if the code changes to misfire cylinder #3
Old 10-07-2003, 08:07 PM
be the change u want2C

thanx for the advice, I will do all this, I have to take my Intake off first! They mite try to void my warranty! Who had a list where all the Cylnders are?
Old 10-07-2003, 08:29 PM

It's:

Firewall/Windshield
-------
1 3 5
2 4 6
-------
Front Bumper
Old 10-08-2003, 01:03 AM
be the change u want2C

thanx, but I still need more opinions or things to do, It driving me crasy, Ive spent too much money on this problem already and Im getting tired of it!!!
Old 10-08-2003, 06:35 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Ni_Nos_Maxima
thanx, but I still need more opinions or things to do, It driving me crasy, Ive spent too much money on this problem already and Im getting tired of it!!!
Do the coil swap thing. Its most likely a dead coil pack. I had the same problem, and replacing the coil solved it.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:43 AM

Do you get the code all the time? I got a #4 misfire code only once in three days before I checked the fuel injector and found it was pretty much dead (8k ohms). I replaced the injector, problem solved.

But here's a question, how does the ecu detect a misfire? Is it from the coil or is it from an internal sensor in the engine? How?

I hope you don't have a bad injector in #1, cuz that is a b!tch to replace (or expensive if you bring it in)
Old 10-08-2003, 06:49 AM
be the change u want2C

Thast why I bought a EXT Bumper to Bumper! But I have to pay a $100 deductable!!! :sad: Im gonna check my ECU again today!
Old 10-08-2003, 06:50 AM
be the change u want2C

Hey Ejj, how much does each ignition coil cost?
Old 10-08-2003, 07:39 AM
ejj

Hey Ejj, how much does each ignition coil cost?
I don't know. I had extras lying around from when I did my engine swap. I was able to use one of the old ones from my blown engine.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:47 AM
^ Jeff™

Ignition coils from the dealer are around $120, IIRC.

If I were you I would search posts for someone that is parting out their wrecked Max. Or check the for sale section, there may be someone in there willing to sell.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:51 AM
be the change u want2C

Yes!!! Warranty comes into play again, Im gonna go to my freinds house right now and do the switch thing after I do the self Diagnosis. Ill post again when I finish with everything. Still need more suggestions on what it could be though. Can one of my pistons be broken or something like that?
Old 10-08-2003, 10:58 AM
^ Jeff™

I would have thought it would be either electrical or fuel...

...if you think it could be a piston though you could always do a compression check, I suppose? That would hopefully be the last test you do...It would be the scariest of answers.lol
Old 10-08-2003, 11:01 AM
ejj

Still need more suggestions on what it could be though. Can one of my pistons be broken or something like that?
HIGHLY doubt it. If the ECU is telling you that something's wrong, its an electrical thing, either ingition or fuel injector as MrEous said. The ECU has no way to sense that a piston is shot....it will just start running like crap.

I'd be 99% sure it was a coil pack if I were you.

Has your CEL ever flashed...or is it just on?
Old 10-08-2003, 12:59 PM

Like I said, do the coil swap to see if it's the coil pack. If it is, then try getting a used one (ask in the Classified section) for around $50. If you have the $100 deductable, go to a Nissan dealer and tell them to fix it with new OEM parts.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:29 PM
be the change u want2C

It Flashes all the time. And then it just stays on after 5 complete cycles
Old 10-08-2003, 10:27 PM

Do that coil swap and if it is not the coil, then it is most likely the injector which will suck for you. A while back I took mine in because of a misfire, they told me that it was my cooling system and that if I get my radiator and all the leaking hose fixed it should solve the problem. I repeatedly asked them to check my fuel system but they said there is no need. It turned out to be the #3 injector which I had to find out and change for myself.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by 2naboy
Do that coil swap and if it is not the coil, then it is most likely the injector which will suck for you. A while back I took mine in because of a misfire, they told me that it was my cooling system and that if I get my radiator and all the leaking hose fixed it should solve the problem. I repeatedly asked them to check my fuel system but they said there is no need. It turned out to be the #3 injector which I had to find out and change for myself.
How was the injector install? I think I might need to do this too
Old 10-09-2003, 05:39 AM

The front three injectors are cake, releive the fuel pressure, undo 2 screws and pull out the injector.

The back three is a different story, you have to take off the whole intake manifold. Its a b!tch to reach the bolts on the back of the engine.

One upside is that you can clean the manifold and throttle body really good and you can polish up the manifold runners so your engine looks nice.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:35 AM

How do I tell if an injector is sticking?

I know I can buy the little light thing to test if the injector is bad, but will it show as bad if the injector is sticking?
Old 10-09-2003, 09:29 AM

I your engine is misfiring its usually one of two things, the coil or the inject but if you are unlucky like me, you can blow a cylinder which can be anything from a dead piston to a snapped rod you can usually tell this because you will probably be burning oil.

The rear injectors are very difficult to change figure in about 4 hours for your first time and after that 1.5 to 2 hours. I did not bother putting those two bolts at back and the intake still held up. I've had to do this three time, once for my ported/polished lower and upper intake and the other two times for injectors.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:01 AM

also misfiring among others

Guys I have a very similar problem. My 99 GXE maxima has 93,000 miles on it and here is my situation. I have been getting check engine codes for a while, so last week I decided to change plugs with NGK coppers(they had never been replaced and I thought maybe it was that) and I cleared the codes. Well about 5 days later they came back, so I checked my codes today by reading the pulses and I am throwing a 0201, a 0304, and a 0607.

One is my knock sensor, and I read the sticky about checking it but I do not have an ohm meter. Are they expensive and where can I get one? Also how much does it cost to replace one of these?

I was also going to take your guys advice and swap coil packs, and if the one throws a cel on the cyclinder I put it in basically it is shot and time for a replacement right?

How bad is it to be driving around with a car like this? I mean can I drive it to work still or no?

Also can you guys give me any other suggestions on what I should look for in my situtation?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-09-2003, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by JonGordo8
Guys I have a very similar problem. My 99 GXE maxima has 93,000 miles on it and here is my situation. I have been getting check engine codes for a while, so last week I decided to change plugs with NGK coppers(they had never been replaced and I thought maybe it was that) and I cleared the codes. Well about 5 days later they came back, so I checked my codes today by reading the pulses and I am throwing a 0201, a 0304, and a 0607.

One is my knock sensor, and I read the sticky about checking it but I do not have an ohm meter. Are they expensive and where can I get one? Also how much does it cost to replace one of these?

I was also going to take your guys advice and swap coil packs, and if the one throws a cel on the cyclinder I put it in basically it is shot and time for a replacement right?

How bad is it to be driving around with a car like this? I mean can I drive it to work still or no?

Also can you guys give me any other suggestions on what I should look for in my situtation?

Thanks in advance
Yet another IL person I go to Hoffman once in a while to visit my aunt.

First make sure that the spark plug you put in had the correct gap (take it out and check). Then switch the coil pack with the one next to it.

Don't worry about the KS (knock sensor). It's giving you a KS code b/c of the misfire. Fix the other 2 things and reset your ECU. Check again in a few days after you fix the other 2 things to see if it'll gives you a KS code (it's a ghost code so it will NOT turn on the CEL).

You can still drive around, but your gas mileage will go down or something.
Old 10-17-2003, 02:53 PM

ok here is the update....I just went and checked the codes and I got a 0304 and a 0201, but not a misfire. I switched the front middle with the front left coil packs. The front left was the one giving me problems, right? So than I tried to clear the codes and drive it around til it went on, but now the check engine light blinks, and it blinks a little faster if I am going faster. Did I just not clear the code right or is this a certain type of service engine soon light?
Old 10-17-2003, 02:57 PM
^ Jeff™

Originally Posted by JonGordo8
ok here is the update....I just went and checked the codes and I got a 0304 and a 0201, but not a misfire. I switched the front middle with the front left coil packs. The front left was the one giving me problems, right? So than I tried to clear the codes and drive it around til it went on, but now the check engine light blinks, and it blinks a little faster if I am going faster. Did I just not clear the code right or is this a certain type of service engine soon light?
Usually the blinking means to shut off the engine as something is very wrong with your engine. IIRC that's what it says in the manual anyway.lol
Old 10-17-2003, 04:43 PM
be the change u want2C

I just got my injector changed, I got the power back, but sometimes when I punch it it still feels like its bad and then SES light starts flashing, And now its on again. Who knows where to get cheap coils from?
Old 10-17-2003, 05:19 PM

I found new coils for a good price from this place:

new coils

also I don't think anything was terribly wrong, since the car was running fine and all. Now it is gone and the SES light hasn't came back on, so I must have reset it. I know it will come back within the next few days, but now I don't know what I should do to get it fixed.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:32 PM

I just got my injector changed, I got the power back, but sometimes when I punch it it still feels like its bad and then SES light starts flashing, And now its on again. Who knows where to get cheap coils from?
How much was the injector?
Old 10-17-2003, 05:44 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ight=0201+0304

Read my chronicles from a few months ago.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:16 PM

Thanks guys!!! These threads are SOOOOO! helpful. I thought I was the only one with this problem. My car was driving today like POP-mobile.. I was so mad and frustrated. It did not trick the CEL though so I will check for codes tomorrow morning, if it stops raining.

When I changed my sparks with new NGK Coppers I saw two things presumably bad with my coils. Coil #2 looked kinda burned and coil #3 was in oil????!!!! So I am pretty much suspecious that coil #2 is the problem but I am very disturbed about the one in the oil, Do I have a bad valve gasket???? (I never ever added oil yet, level looks always fine)..

I'll post later what I found out and and what steps I took to resolve the problem.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:24 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

If you guys are down a cylinder due to a blown coil, be veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrryyyy easy on the engine. Running on 5-cylinders throws the balance way the heck out of whack (a 60-degree V-6 is naturally balanced, but not a "V-5" ) so just try to be as gentle as possible. Get a new coil if that's what it is ASAP. They're really easy to change out yourself so please don't go in for a "lube job" at the stealership.

If you need to rent a car for a few days, you'll still be ahead compared to what Nissan will charge you. A buddy of mine said Nissan charged him $300 just to replace a single ignition coil on their 4th Gen Max. It happened to quick on them so no lead time to diagnos and order parts in advance.

I have two spare coils now (one front and one rear) just in case they go out again since they're known to be troublesome, particularly on 99's.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:31 PM

steve who is this daveB fellow you guys were referring to in your thread? How much does he sell a front bank coil pack for?

Also, did you ever discover what the reason for your 0304 code was? It doesn't set your SES light on though, it is a ghost code right?

Thanks for the advice from everyone, you guys have seriously saved me probably a couple hundred dollars easy if I would have had to take it to the dealer.
Old 10-18-2003, 06:00 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=234805 2nd post

0304 is the knock sensor code. It is a ghost code, but it usually shows up when something else is wrong. Fix the other problem first and if the 0304 comes back then replace the KS.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:12 PM

ok I went ahead and bought a new coil pack from the dealer (71.92) and installed it and cleared the computer. After driving around for 20-30 minutes It feels much better and no codes came back, so I am hoping that this fixes it. Thanks again guys.
Old 10-18-2003, 05:52 PM

I did the resistance check this morning on the coil pack I suspected went bed and it appeared to be pretty much dead. So ordered one and expect to replace on Thursday. The Haynes manual describes well how to do that check with Multi purpose meter.
Old 10-19-2003, 12:30 AM
be the change u want2C

The injector cost 120 from a shop and I got free installation, it was on Cyl 1 too. But they charged me for a Diagnostic 45 buks for that. Now i need a damn coil man!!!
Old 10-19-2003, 12:40 AM
be the change u want2C

I found someone who will sell 6 slightly used coils for 85. YEAH