4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Light Bulbs and Explosion

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2001, 05:07 PM
Limster

Hello all,

One of my Eurolites bulbs exploded (after less than 24hrs of use) and there are now lots of debris inside the headlight assembly. The glass and the dust is masking the reflective surface which affects the brightless of my headlights. How can I take out the debris and clean up the dust inside with the least amount of work? Must I take out the entire headlight assembly to do the cleaning? If so, does anyone have instructions as to how I can safely remove the assembly from the car to do and clean up and then reinstall it?

To replace the cheap Eurolites, I just picked up one Philips Blue Vision and I am really disappointed with its brightness and colour. There is virtually no difference between the Philips and my original bulbs. Someone on the forum mentioned the Philips are as bright as the PIAAs. If that is the case, then the PIAA would look very similar to the stock bulbs!!! Hardly justify is price. I would recommend against getting the Philips. The Eurolites at least had the colour that I want (a slight very blue colour) but it just doesn't have the brightness (my fogs would do a better job lighting the road than the Eurolites). Nevertheless, the Eurolites looks really good.

Thanks in advance.

Limster
1997 Maxima GLE

Old 02-17-2001, 05:26 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Try this...

If the debris isn't melted onto the surface...

Remove the lense and point it up. Put a larger rubber hose onto a tire air hose (or the like). Insert the end of the rubber hose near the upper half of the lense and you can hopefully dislodge the debris with bursts of air and it'll fall out the bottom where the hose is inserted at the opening. (sorry for the poor grammar)

Good luck!
Old 02-17-2001, 07:07 PM
Limster

Re:

The question is: How do I remove the lense? Do you guys have any instructions as to how I can remove them as smoothly as possible?

Thanks in advance.

Limster
1997 Maxima GLE

Old 02-17-2001, 11:24 PM

Phillips BV's don't look different from stock when you look at them from the front of the car, but you do notice the difference when you're driving.
Old 02-17-2001, 11:34 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Go to my hompage as listed over there on the left and look at the "instructions" page...
Old 02-18-2001, 12:25 PM

whoa!

hiya..i just went to your page..and dang..that AE style headlight seems really complicated..but i don't really understand wha tu mean by AE style on a 4th gen is it brighter or something? thanx!!

Originally posted by mzmtg
Go to my hompage as listed over there on the left and look at the "instructions" page...
Old 02-18-2001, 08:31 PM

I cleaned out a headlight a few months ago when a rock hit the lens. It left a bullseye in the lens with glass shards inside. Since I decided to just epoxy the hole, I had to get the glass out.

I took my shop vac and rigged several different sizes of automotive hoses inside of each other until I was down to about 3/16" fuel line. I used electrical tape to seal each joint. I managed to wiggle the fuel line into the headlight and get most everyting out. For the pieces of glass that were too big to fit, I took a piece of coathanger and wrapped the end with duct tape - stickey side out.

At the end of it, ou'll wonder why you just didn't take the headlight off; I know I did.
Old 02-18-2001, 08:57 PM

eurolight bulbs...

are they 45/65w or higher? how much do they cost too, if you dont mind, and where can i get em? thanks
Old 02-18-2001, 09:27 PM
Limster

I am actually from Toronto. A pair of Eurolites costs $25Cdn tax included. They are stock 45/65 watts bulbs. The Philips Blue Visions are almost the same price; $10.95Cdn each before tax at Walmart.

The Eurolites only have the looks and IMHO, I don't think it is worth the decreased amount of lights compared to regular bulbs. The Philips BV are pretty much the same as the stock bulbs, in terms of both looks and the way it shines the road.

Old 02-18-2001, 09:56 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

No, they aren't brighter. They just look cool. Up close you can see the black edges, but from a distance they just look kind of tinted. I like it and it has no effect on the performance at all.
Old 02-19-2001, 05:15 AM

Sorry boss...physics is physics >>

Originally posted by Limster
The Eurolites only have the looks and IMHO, I don't think it is worth the decreased amount of lights compared to regular bulbs. The Philips BV are pretty much the same as the stock bulbs, in terms of both looks and the way it shines the road.
In order to achieve the color...the Eurolite are defnitely NOT brighter...stick a meter in front and you'll see. The BlueVisions are the best stock wattage bulbs out there right now.
Old 02-19-2001, 05:16 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Question about Eurolites and high beam

I have eurolites all aroung up front and my driver high beam stopped working, the low beam, looks fine and the harness looks mint. I took the bulb out and the filament looks untouched. What could it be?? Also how can i make my fogs stay on whenever i have any park of my lighting system on. Even when i had both highs working my lows and fogs were just as bright.
________
Park Royal 2 Condos

Last edited by dmbmaxima2k2; 09-04-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-19-2001, 08:31 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

It could be the switch. Try pulling on the stalk really slowly and see if they both come on and then one goes off. This happened to me a long time ago and I needed to have the switch replaced.