4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Which Cat-Back should I buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 10:01 PM

Which Cat-Back should I buy

Hey whats up, I've been looking at Cat-backs and im not sure of which one i want. I dont want one that's going to give me a loud annoying sound like hondas with exhausts. I want something that'll sound deep, more like a mustang sound. I know Cattman and Stillen are both loud so scratch that. So what's left is OBX, Greddy and Apexi. How do these cat-backs sound? And also what are the prices? Thanks for your time guys , i hope you can help me.

-Chris
Old 10-13-2003, 10:06 PM
SXN
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/?MaximaCatbacks you need to choose your own based on price, what your looking for, noise level, etc
Old 10-13-2003, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by SXN
http://maxmods.dyndns.org/?MaximaCatbacks you need to choose your own based on price, what your looking for, noise level, etc

I looked at the OBX cat-back and i see that there are three different ones, Type DTM, H and B. Do these have different sounds? hp gains?
Old 10-14-2003, 12:11 AM

i have already installed my Apexi WS...man!!! deep sound and the best HP with y pipe and intake. Contact Ange..he sold me the catback for 412 shipped.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SXN
yep, yoru answers are here... just READ
Old 10-14-2003, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by maxNYC
yep, yoru answers are here... just READ

I looked at the OBX cat-back and i see that there are three different ones, Type DTM, H and B. Do these have different sounds? hp gains?
Old 10-14-2003, 04:30 PM
SXN

i think you want the B...i dont know if all the different types will fit your car. im almost sure for some reason the H wont fit. try doing some searches, research and look around. hope that link helped
Old 10-14-2003, 04:39 PM
UCF Lexus

Just make sure to get the one with a cat and a back.

Baby got back, CAT BACK!
Old 10-14-2003, 08:42 PM
SXN

no...
Old 10-14-2003, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by SXN
i think you want the B...i dont know if all the different types will fit your car. im almost sure for some reason the H wont fit. try doing some searches, research and look around. hope that link helped

I just got my H OBX cat-back. It fits perfectly.

It has dual resonators on the B-pipe, and a nice 4.5" tip (not rounded though )

I'm just having a hell of a time with my catalytic converter's bolts. Two of them rusted and broke in half (inside the threads)! Looks like I 'm going to have to either buy a new one, or go to a muffler shop and get them outta there.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:56 PM
SXN

i remember some post when someone was asking if they should get the B or the H, and the h was recomended against. dual resonators sounds quiet, and the 4.5 tip doesnt sound like my style , i guess its up to you
Old 10-14-2003, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by GoalieKeg

I'm just having a hell of a time with my catalytic converter's bolts. Two of them rusted and broke in half (inside the threads)! Looks like I 'm going to have to either buy a new one, or go to a muffler shop and get them outta there.
where the pics???
Old 10-14-2003, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by SXN
i remember some post when someone was asking if they should get the B or the H, and the h was recomended against. dual resonators sounds quiet, and the 4.5 tip doesnt sound like my style , i guess its up to you

SO you're saying the B is recomended over the H? Does the B have dual resonators?
Old 10-14-2003, 10:20 PM

How does it sound? And how did it fit? Did u have to make any adjustments?
Old 10-14-2003, 10:21 PM
SXN

dual resonators...sounds quiet
Old 10-14-2003, 10:46 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

I think all of them has dual resonators, I have an obx that looks like the EVO SP which is neither of those three setups and it had two resonators...
Old 10-14-2003, 11:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Kashoggio
where the pics???
yo I had tha same problem, the cat back bolts are welded not rusted!
Old 10-15-2003, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by mistachink

Did anyone have any problems with the OBX as far as fitment?
Old 10-15-2003, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mahstylez
Did anyone have any problems with the OBX as far as fitment?

Well, I finally got mine all on (**** that catalytic converter).

The only problem I've had so far is that the muffler tip isn't sitting perfectly between the bumper cut out. I think if I get under there, and mess around with the hangers (mabye bend them) It'll be just fine. But for the moment, the exhaust is LOUD, but not raspy. Just LOUD and DEEP.

4k rpms>me.

And yes, my exhaust is dual resonated. It's the type-H. I took some pics yesterday, and I'll post them on here ASAP!

Dan
Old 10-15-2003, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by mistachink

Well, after the bolts BROKE OFF in the cat, I took the cat to a muffler and machine shop, and they both were charging at least 60 bucks an hour, so I was like "screw that, I'll just go to home repo and get me a metal drill bit and try to get them out myelf. I ended up drilling them out with a 5/8" (might be 5/16, not sure) Cobalt drill bit that was made for metal. That combined with my amazing arm strength (hey, I work out), I got those bishes drilled out. I ended up putting in a 5/8"x1" bolt with a washer on one side, and a lock washer and nut on the other. It's holding pretty good right now, but it's only a temporary solution IMO. I'm probably either going to buy a resonated straight pipe (no FL emissions>me) or a carsound cat.

How's the sound with the resonated straight pipe? Is it better than with the stock cat?
Old 10-15-2003, 03:19 PM

Well, I finally got mine all on (**** that catalytic converter).

The only problem I've had so far is that the muffler tip isn't sitting perfectly between the bumper cut out. I think if I get under there, and mess around with the hangers (mabye bend them) It'll be just fine. But for the moment, the exhaust is LOUD, but not raspy. Just LOUD and DEEP.

4k rpms>me.

And yes, my exhaust is dual resonated. It's the type-H. I took some pics yesterday, and I'll post them on here ASAP!

Dan
When does the exhaust start to get loud at 4k rpms? Does it sound like a stupid honda with exhaust? lol sorry i hate that honda sound. And did you feel any hp gains?

-Chris
Old 10-15-2003, 03:25 PM
SXN

with dual resonators, there would be no gains...more stuff in the way, IMO only thing you would notice is different noise (deeper)
Old 10-15-2003, 03:41 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by SXN
with dual resonators, there would be no gains...more stuff in the way, IMO only thing you would notice is different noise (deeper)

correct me if im wrong, but resonators dont go INSIDE the piping, they wrap around it with glass packing to stop some of the sound resonation, to deaden the exhaust sound a bit, in which case, exhaust flow wouldnt be bothered at all, so i dont think ur right when u say no gains .... more stuff in the way, but what do i know
Old 10-15-2003, 03:47 PM
SXN

well, there could be gains... 2-3 hp maybe, i thought dual resonators wouldnt perform as well as a straight pipe. correct me if im wrong (and probably am)
Old 10-15-2003, 04:04 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by SXN
well, there could be gains... 2-3 hp maybe, i thought dual resonators wouldnt perform as well as a straight pipe. correct me if im wrong (and probably am)

haha im not sure, but i don't think it would cause restriction, just noise reduction, any experts care to chime in?
Old 10-15-2003, 04:09 PM
SXN

then why would a b pipe make gains if there was no resonators in the pipe restricting it? http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&goto=newpost
Old 10-15-2003, 04:12 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by SXN
then why would a b pipe make gains if there was no resonators in the pipe restricting it? http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&goto=newpost

b pipe makes gains because the piping is a large diameter than the stock piping
Old 10-15-2003, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by nismos14
b pipe makes gains because the piping is a large diameter than the stock piping
And because aftermarket B-pipes use mandrel bends rather than crush bends.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:22 PM
SXN

so resonator isnt in the piping just dampening on the outside? would it make the whole thing quieter (like the sound coming out of the end of the pipe) or just less buzzy?
Old 10-15-2003, 04:26 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

it would do both, make it quieter, and less buzzy since it's deadening the sound, and it isn't in the piping, just on the outside
Old 10-15-2003, 04:27 PM
SXN

how would something on the outside make the sound quieter from the pipe?
Old 10-15-2003, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by indigomax
i have already installed my Apexi WS...man!!! deep sound and the best HP with y pipe and intake. Contact Ange..he sold me the catback for 412 shipped.
ummmmm.........Ange isn't a he. She's a she.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:45 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by SXN
how would something on the outside make the sound quieter from the pipe?

ok think about it like this, if u look at the more quiet exhaust systems out there they have a distinguishing mark, and thats usually a larger exhaust canister than a louder exhaust system which has a smaller exhaust canister(not in length, but the diameter) . what a resonator does is takes the same glass packing material (type of "padding"thats in the muffler) thats in the muffler, and puts it on another section of the exhaust which in turn deadens the sound and makes things quieter. Mufflers are like big resonators themselves they stop the sound from being too loud, some mufflers are better at it than others because of the type and amount of packing they use.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:51 PM
SXN

hmmm, sounds good... i think my plan is to get a Y pipe and straight B pipe (prolly no resonator) and then keep the stock muffler... a lot of gains, but not too loud, and if its too quiet for my liking, i would pop on a new muffler. would an un resonated B pipe get too buzzy?
Old 10-15-2003, 04:58 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

if ur y is a lil buzzy when u get it the sound will just get amplified by the unresonated b
Old 10-15-2003, 04:58 PM

SXN, the sound waves coming from the combustion chamber are constantly reflecting off the walls of the exhaust piping until it exits your exhaust.
A resonator has glasspacking and other materials that make the walls of the pipe in the resonated area. These materials better absorb the sound waves and therefore reflect less of the sound waves. This results in a reduction of the intensity of the sound leaving your tailpipe.

The sound deadening materials in a resonator are held in place by a metal mesh. When air travels through the resonated section of the exhaust at pressure it experiences more tubulence as it moves along the mesh that makes up the walls of the resonator. Also some of the exhaust will move through the mesh into the sound deadening materials and back out again thus causing more turbulence. This turbulence leads to a slight loss of horsepower over a midpipe of the same dimensions that doesn't have resonators. However I feel this loss is small and insignificant and therefore I chose to have two resonators in the exhaust I chose for my maxima.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:37 PM

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/framed...austtheory.htm

jusread that before you start talking about exhaust systems
Old 10-15-2003, 05:42 PM

When does the exhaust start to get loud at 4k rpms? Does it sound like a stupid honda with exhaust? lol sorry i hate that honda sound. And did you feel any hp gains?

-Chris

I just put it on, so it's going to be a little loud for a few weeks until it breaks in a little bit. But, it's deep, and a little raspy when the engine is cold, but when it heats up, it's nice and deep, and when you hit 4k rpms, the exhuast amplifys the intake sound, it's awesome. When I first installed it and turned it on, I couldn't hear my subs. After the second time I started it, I could hear my subs again. It toned down alot even after the second start up.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:51 AM

I just put it on, so it's going to be a little loud for a few weeks until it breaks in a little bit. But, it's deep, and a little raspy when the engine is cold, but when it heats up, it's nice and deep, and when you hit 4k rpms, the exhuast amplifys the intake sound, it's awesome. When I first installed it and turned it on, I couldn't hear my subs. After the second time I started it, I could hear my subs again. It toned down alot even after the second start up.

Did you take the silencer out?
Old 10-16-2003, 09:49 AM

Did you take the silencer out?
Yes, and on my way to school today, it was even quieter. I have more low end now also than before the y-pipe. The exhaust sounds great. Nice and low.

Quick Reply: Which Cat-Back should I buy