4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Maxima handling in snow/rain

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 10:38 AM

Maxima handling in snow/rain

I've heard that Maximas don't handle all that great in the snow and rain. This information was from a car review website and I just wanted to know if this is true. I just bought a 1998 Nissan Maxima SE 5 speed which I'm going to pick up on Friday. So I'm a little nervous because where I live, there is a lot of snow. Please help me out.

Yuriy Z.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:39 AM

They do suck in snow because of the power...all you do is spin your tires, even if you dont give any gas at all
Old 10-15-2003, 10:42 AM
Pizda Boy

it's all good. . . don't worry you'll be allright...
congrats on the new ride.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:39 PM
An atavistic endeavor...

The only part of that that's remotely legit is snow....but I love my car in the snow. It's not the most grippy car ever, but it's decent.

Rain is a different story...the thing is great if you give it good tires...try putting some Dunlop SP Sport 9000's on there and tell me what you think of the rain handling.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:42 PM
^ Jeff™

...if you live in a snowy area then isn't it a rule of thumb to have an extra set of snow tires for winter?

If you're looking for a good snow car with year round tires then maybe you should get an AWD/4WD vehicle.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I pretty much live in Lake Tahoe, CA every winter and I've never had a problem with traction or handling. There are tons of ice inclines too. I have a 98' SE as well but mine is unfortunately auto. I think tire selection is the most important thing with any car in the snow. One thing I wouldn't recommend is installing a performance clutch. Our cars are torquey so they are harder to get started on ice. Don't worry.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:46 PM
be the change u want2C

If you have TCS it wont slip at all, TCS is a good winter package option.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:47 PM
I need a truck

get a good pair of snow tires and drive slow
Old 10-15-2003, 04:53 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

here in MI we get quite a bit of snow, earlier this year we got hammered by the Bilzzard of '03... I once had a '98 Altima GLE, terrible in snow and I was driving carefully one winter and yet ended up in an accident .. weather here in MI is unpredictable anyway so once I get my max back hopefully soon i'll consider a winter tire/wheel pkg.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:36 PM

Buy a good snow tire/wheel package from tire rack and you'll be in great shape. I've used the same set on two fourth gens in Chicagoland, and it is the best money I ever spent.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:46 PM

Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus > rain.

The car handles great in the rain with a good set of tires. As for the snow, any car will be crap with summer tires; as someone mentioned before, you NEED at LEAST all seasons for the snow, and even then, they are no where near as good as SNOW tires.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Wht98SE
here in MI we get quite a bit of snow, earlier this year we got hammered by the Bilzzard of '03... I once had a '98 Altima GLE, terrible in snow and I was driving carefully one winter and yet ended up in an accident .. weather here in MI is unpredictable anyway so once I get my max back hopefully soon i'll consider a winter tire/wheel pkg.

my mom had an accident in her max before she gave to me in the "Blizzard of '03". Busted the bumper pretty bad. i hate MI weather, one day it'll be hot and wonderful out followed by weather that could make hell freeze over.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:06 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have TOYO performance tires, not new but with quite a food thred and was told that those would be fine if snow drops in Connecticut. I am very sceptical though, because my braking on wet surface is not good, I have no ABS and wheels lock up easily. Should I spend the extra money for winter tires + rims for them????
Old 10-15-2003, 09:35 PM

its all about the tires and your driving abilities. The maximas are front wheel drive so they cant be all that bad in the snow and rain. You'd probably have more problems in these conditions with a RWD. I have taken my maxima on all of my ski trips in the last 7 years. No complaints here.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:46 AM

after driving an old '86 RWD benz through the winter here in the nyc area, my maxima feels like it's stuck to the road in comparison.

just drive slow and distance yourself from whatever's in front of you and you'll be fine... although some new tires wouldn't hurt either.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:51 AM

suspension

what about the suspension upgrade of a front strut bar or sway bars? Whould them make a difference and is it worth it?
Old 10-16-2003, 06:18 AM

First off, FWD cars handle way better than RWD in snow and rain. The weight of the engine and transmission (and everything else up front) is over the wheels, keeping them form braking loose as easily. With RWD the effect of the drive wheels in back propelling the car, is more like pushing, where with FWD it's more like a pull scenario. Due to that, RWD cars are much more likely to get lateral, or spin under acceleration. This is fun if you wanna do donuts, or lateral slides in empty,snow covered parking lots, but not good for road holding power when you want it. For a front wheel drive car, the Max is a bit on the light side compared to others in its class,but that's about it's only drawback. I go out of my way to chase snow in the winter, through areas like Teton Pass, near Jackson Hole where it snows over 500"/yr. With good snow tires, the Max handles the steep,switchback roads with ease. The Max has a lower center of gravity than a 4WD truck or SUV and is much less like to tip and roll. Unless you're lowered,there's plenty of ground clearance for darn near any snow storm. With snow tires on I've never run out of traction. In fact, I've driven to the point where I've hung the frame up on snow for lack of ground clearance on a snowy back road in rural Montana, that's normally limited to trucks at that time of year.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:32 AM

Guys, Guys. You all present good arguements, but you're all wrong! He doesnt have to buy snow tires or be a good driver, just do what I do! Clean out your garage now, and enjoy its room. I dont even think about going in the garage and taking out my baby when there's a threat of snow. I stay cozy by the fire
Old 10-16-2003, 09:22 AM
^ Jeff™

Originally Posted by Juki5536
Guys, Guys. You all present good arguements, but you're all wrong! He doesnt have to buy snow tires or be a good driver, just do what I do! Clean out your garage now, and enjoy its room. I dont even think about going in the garage and taking out my baby when there's a threat of snow. I stay cozy by the fire
I guess that helps if you're still in High School or have a 2nd car. Most of us are 1car owners with a J. O. B.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Wht98SE
I remember while the snow was still continuing to pour down, my rear end lost control and I almost was struck by a semi. After braking a few times I got my control back and was safe...

May have just been my car but I don't like the way Maxima's handle in the snow. Rain they're quite alright. I've never had a problem in the rain. In fact, my Maxima made me love driving in the rain.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:07 AM
ejj

One of the main reasons I have this car is because of how it drives in the snow. Living in Buffalo, FWD and good snow handling is a MUST!

Because the car is heavy and FWD, its great in the snow. The better the tires, the better it will perform. I've had snow tires at one point, and the car felt like a tank. I wasn't affraid to drive in ANY weather. I've also been using all-seasons the past few winters, and they're just fine if you're smart about the way you drive.

Storing a Maxima for winter is
Old 10-16-2003, 12:00 PM
Tha Snatcher

Originally Posted by MrEous
I guess that helps if you're still in High School or have a 2nd car. Most of us are 1car owners with a J. O. B.

AMEN to that!
Old 10-16-2003, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by ejj
One of the main reasons I have this car is because of how it drives in the snow. Living in Buffalo, FWD and good snow handling is a MUST!

Because the car is heavy and FWD, its great in the snow. The better the tires, the better it will perform. I've had snow tires at one point, and the car felt like a tank. I wasn't affraid to drive in ANY weather. I've also been using all-seasons the past few winters, and they're just fine if you're smart about the way you drive.

Storing a Maxima for winter is
Damm right, load up the homies a few snowboards and take a road trip to where it snows like a ****!

I should've mentioned that I run H speed rated performance snow tires. I've used Dunlop M2 and Pirelli Snowrsport 210's. If you get regular, cheap bias ply snow tires, your Max will corner and handle like schit. The stiffer sidewalls definitely make a difference on cloverleafs. Bias plys are mushy and buckle in hard cornering.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:30 PM

Yes, front wheel drive is better than RWD - and AWD is better than FWD.
Yes, the Max puts a lot of power down and it's easy to spin the wheels -even in 2nd on dry pavement I can chirp 'em.
The stock goodyears that came with mine sucked in the snow, were pretty bad in the rain too.
I got some good snow tires and I ride on Khumos during spring, summer fall. Even with the Khumos I find it easy to spin the wheels in first - especially when I get a bit carried away from a dead stop. I find starting in second helps. Might be a bit slow, but so is spinning the tires in first and that just wears them out faster anyway. Also in a hard corner if I put the power down to much in the wet I can feel the understeer kick in. But as long as it isn't a bad situation that can be kind of fun...
Old 10-16-2003, 04:12 PM

drop the tranny and do the LSD swap. just dont expect it to help THAT much..