4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

V-AFC II for 4th gens with MEVI

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 05:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

V-AFC II for 4th gens with MEVI

I have an MEVI and wanted an SAFC. I also was tired of having to pop my hood to change the harlan switch and wanted a light to indicate my VI was activated.
My solution is simple, I bought a V-AFC II. I will use the vtec activation wire to activate my gm solenoid that activates my MEVI. I can change when the VI activates and deactivates independently of each other and all from inside my car. The V-AFC II also has a light that changes to indicate when it activates the VI.
Another cool feature is the ability to have seperate fuel maps for when the VI is open. This will come in handy if the VI ends up affecting my airfuel ratio when it is open (haven't been to the dyno yet). I think it is much better than the harlan switch.

I am currently waiting on my engine to get back from the machine shop but once it is installed I will test the V-AFC II to make sure it will work as planned.

Edo performance has them for sale for $305 shipped. Their website is www.edoperformance.com
Old 10-15-2003, 05:49 PM

holy crap that's ingenious! Anybody else think of this?
If it works I'm definitely going to go this route when i get a MEVI.. .
Old 10-15-2003, 05:52 PM
Still kickin'

I was asking about this along time ago. I wanted to get the MEVI and controll the switch with the V-AFC, but people in the forced induction, and in here said it wouldn't work I think even Dave B said it wouldn't work. so it works fine for you??
Old 10-15-2003, 06:06 PM

I guess I didn't quite make myself clear, sorry. My car is still waiting on the engine I blew earlier this year due to the MEVI screw that came loose. But I should have it in soon. I have not installed it yet but I beleive it should work because the V-tec is activated by a wire carrying 12 volts. If I hook this up to the gm solenoid and ground the other wire it should activate the solenoid.
I will search the forums for other posts on this subject.

I edited my original post accordingly.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mad-MAX_SE
I was asking about this along time ago. I wanted to get the MEVI and controll the switch with the V-AFC, but people in the forced induction, and in here said it wouldn't work I think even Dave B said it wouldn't work. so it works fine for you??
I found the thread where he told you it wouldn't work. I think he thought you would just be using the V-AFC. If you use both the V-AFC and a vacuum solenoid then it will work. You simply send the 12 volt line (vtec line) to the solenoid and then ground the other wire and the V-AFC will activate the solenoid which which allow the vacuum in your vacuum canister to activate the VI. It will work.

I will test it soon......just waiting on the machine shop.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:54 PM
Blazin......

sounds really nice. Good idea and i hope this pulls through, Im going mevi soon and id love to see those guages in my car. Good $hit. let us know.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

interesting...
Old 10-16-2003, 07:01 AM

sounds interesting!

So is a V AFC 2 the exact same thing as the SAFC2, except the V has the additional V tech (or MEVI possibly) triggering capabilites?
Old 10-16-2003, 08:32 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I should work because all you're doing is either grounding the solenoid and/or adding 12V power. This is assuming you're using vacuum canister.

I'd be curious to see whether or not the A/F gets a little funky upon MEVI switchover.

Dave
Old 10-16-2003, 11:19 AM
be the change u want2C

Maxima.org need more inavators like you
Old 10-16-2003, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Prodeje79
sounds interesting!

So is a V AFC 2 the exact same thing as the SAFC2, except the V has the additional V tech (or MEVI possibly) triggering capabilites?
Yes, it is the same as the SAFC II but with the v-tec controller. Edo performance has good product descriptions for both.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dave B
I should work because all you're doing is either grounding the solenoid and/or adding 12V power. This is assuming you're using vacuum canister.

I'd be curious to see whether or not the A/F gets a little funky upon MEVI switchover.

Dave
I'll post dynos with the air fuel ratios as soon as I get them.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:53 PM

I wanted to update you all on my little idea. I have the vafc II installed and it works great for activating the MEVI. I can adjust when it activates and deactivates independantly of each other. I also now have a big light that changes color when the MEVI activates.
It also seems to be working fine with the air fuel ratio. I have not been able to dyno my car yet because I still have 1400 miles left in my break in period. However I have adjusted to air/fuel and the vafc II shows that it is correcting however I will only know for sure when
I dyno.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:15 PM

*innovators
GREAT thinking man!
Old 04-13-2004, 04:40 PM
V^___^V

hehe...finally something new and interesting is here in the 4th gen forum
Old 04-13-2004, 05:05 PM

I'm interested in seeing what this does also.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:51 PM

I don't want to sound like that i had the same idea but i did PMed ImStockBaby when he asked me about my MEVI. I told him about my plans on using a Vtec controller like the V-afcII for my new MEVI when i get my car back from the body shop. I did tell him that i was only 98% sure that it will work. The other 2% is due to the fact that the output of the controller might not be enough to drive a relay to activate the solenoid. And it might be even worst if I the drove the solenoid directly.

Eric
Old 04-13-2004, 06:02 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Cool. I like that you can have it deactivate independantly. I have always wonderd if air flow was disrupted when the butterfly valves close and then open back up right away during the up shift. When shifting to second I land right behind where my VI activates, so the butterflyvalves close for a split second and then reopen. Do any of you think that is not the best way for the VI to operate. Would it be better to have them close earlier?? Maybe I am not making any sense.......
Old 04-13-2004, 06:11 PM

now you can go up to the honda boy's and say you have VTeccKK too!
Old 04-13-2004, 06:41 PM

Come on people have never thought of that?
Old 04-13-2004, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
Cool. I like that you can have it deactivate independantly. I have always wonderd if air flow was disrupted when the butterfly valves close and then open back up right away during the up shift. When shifting to second I land right behind where my VI activates, so the butterflyvalves close for a split second and then reopen. Do any of you think that is not the best way for the VI to operate. Would it be better to have them close earlier?? Maybe I am not making any sense.......
I hear what you are saying and I think you may be right. I will try keeping it where it is now(open 5200: close 5100) and also try something like (open 5200: close 4500) and see if I get any noticeable difference in feel. I will also try it at the track and see if there is a difference in time.. Of course this will have to be after I break my engine in for another 1400 miles.

EZEMaxima. It is activating quite well connected directly. The V-tec actuator itself is a solenoid that would require much more current than the boost solenoid I am using now. I will look at my friends gsr tomorrow and see if the v-tec solenoid is run directly off the line or if a relay is used. If a relay is used I will probably add one as it is a simple task. Checkers carries a fog light relay that actually works great for this kind of thing.

Deezo, my only worry was reguarding the fact that I don't know of many hondas that use a MAF so I was worried the V-afc may not have the programming to convert air pressure back into air flow for my MAF equipped car. However it seems to be working perfectly. I entered the same code one would enter into the SAFC for the sensor type indicating a MAF input reading and a MAF output reading.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:40 AM

Keep us updated..i'll definitely order one this week for my car. Where did you get yours? How much did you pay for it.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:33 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Please keep this thread alive. I'm very interested because I think the JWT ECU fuel map makes the upper rpm A/F too lean and I don't like the fact that the butterfly valves have to flutter on certain shifts.

How easy is this thing to wire in? That's a my main concern. Finding a used V-AFC should be easy and relatively cheap.

Dave
Old 04-14-2004, 08:21 AM
be the change u want2C

wow what a way to bring up a thread out of no where
Old 04-15-2004, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dave B
Please keep this thread alive. I'm very interested because I think the JWT ECU fuel map makes the upper rpm A/F too lean and I don't like the fact that the butterfly valves have to flutter on certain shifts.

How easy is this thing to wire in? That's a my main concern. Finding a used V-AFC should be easy and relatively cheap.

Dave
It is fairly easy to wire. I used tap in's from radio shack so I didn't have to cut or strip any wires. The hardest part is counting pins to find the right wires to tap into. Apexi's website has a picture of our ecu with which wires to cut into. I have to take a trip to washington for work tomorrow so I'll be gone for two weeks but when I get back I can do a right up with pictures if anyone is interested.
The MEVI actuation part is really easy. Just connect the v-tec activating wire from the VAFC to the boost solenoid or relay. Connect the other side to a ground and it should work. Make sure you understand which side of the boost solenoid or relay should be connected to what.

I got the VAFC off ebay for like $285 . Edo performance also has good deals on them.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:12 AM

How's everything holdin up so far?
Old 04-24-2004, 04:13 AM

Now my question is that should have people gone with a VAFC instead going with an upgraded ECU?
Will the VAFC allow you to get your low end power back by adjusting the A/F ratio under and over the rpm switchover?
Old 04-24-2004, 05:09 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by deezo
Now my question is that should have people gone with a VAFC instead going with an upgraded ECU?
Will the VAFC allow you to get your low end power back by adjusting the A/F ratio under and over the rpm switchover?

The VAFC won't raise the rev limiter and the A/F ratio can't be adjusted enough to see the gains like a JWT ECU that advanced spark, timing, and leans out the AF ratio.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
The VAFC won't raise the rev limiter and the A/F ratio can't be adjusted enough to see the gains like a JWT ECU that advanced spark, timing, and leans out the AF ratio.
I agree with I30tMikeD but it does allow you to fine tune the open and closing of the MEVI to better suite your engine. And the advantage is the ability to tune the A/F ratio with the MEVI open or close and correct me if i'm wrong but it can also be done with dependent to throttle opening percentage. In other words partial or almost/ full throttle!

Eric..
Old 05-01-2004, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by KMax2988
How's everything holdin up so far?
Car is still working great. I am on a business trip to washington until monday and I have limited access to internet up here so I apologize fro not being able to keep up with the thread. I still need to research to relay issue and I will be dynoig it in may. Also I strongly recommend both this and the ecu. The extended rev limiter is essential for MEVI equipped cars and the flexibility of the VAFC is great.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:29 PM

just keepin the thread alive...this is very interesting.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:48 PM

after everything is dynoed and all, i hope you can come up with a write up. i pretty much got the jist of it but this will be a nice addition to the stickies for everyone.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:25 AM

good thinking
Old 05-02-2004, 09:05 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Will this work on the 2000 vi?
Old 05-02-2004, 11:33 AM
Banned

ok so like me get this straight the best combo now for the MEVI is JWT ECU (7,200) with the V-AFC II ... sounds goond casue those be my next mod after my cattman header/y pipe keep this alive fellas....
Old 05-02-2004, 03:41 PM

Anyone know any faqs on how the afc and vtech controller work? is it possible to have vtech working on our engines? or is it better to go with the jwt ecu upgrade or can a combination be used?
Old 05-02-2004, 04:50 PM
Lightly modded

signing into the thread....sounds like good stuff
Old 05-05-2004, 08:21 AM

^ get on up ^
Old 05-05-2004, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Magikone69
after everything is dynoed and all, i hope you can come up with a write up. i pretty much got the jist of it but this will be a nice addition to the stickies for everyone.
I will dyno my car next week and then I will make a detailed write up with pictures shortly there after. So far it is working great on my car. My car is finally broken in after the rebuild and I ran up to redline on full throttle and it felt great. Having the vafc really makes me feel more confident that the mevi is activating.

I am sure there would be a way to make it work with the 2000 vi but unfortunately I am not that familiar with how it works. Maybe someone else with a fifth gen can figure out how to make it work.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:54 PM
Banned

hey any know what color the the black model lights up??? pics??? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33596

i like that one other the the sliver and blue.

Quick Reply: V-AFC II for 4th gens with MEVI