4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What does a slipping clutch feel like?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 09:04 PM

What does a slipping clutch feel like?

As the title says. I've never owned a car with a clutch that I acually cared about before the Max. Whenever I go WOT the RPM's rise faster then the speed and I get a big lag. And then the clutch finally grabs. Also happens when I shift hard. I would assume this is a slipping clutch. Sorry for the probably dumb question, Tried searching but couldn't find a straight answer.

-Loren
Old 10-15-2003, 09:07 PM

That would be a slipping clutch....basicaly like you said, RPM go up while speed stays the same or very little acceleration
Old 10-15-2003, 09:33 PM

Thanks. Wanted to know for sure.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

$130 on ebay for an exedy replacement clutch for the max. its not a stage 1, but they claim liek a 5-10 % more clamping pressure over stock.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:46 AM

yeah, you've got a slipping clutch. I'd start buying parts now and lay off driving it hard. When it gets to the point that you cant even go up hills with out it slipping your going to want to plan some downtime to change the clutch, but its best not to wait that long, because it could just stop grabbing all together, which will leave you stranded, and thats not fun.

You also might want to consider a Fidanza, Their really cool
Old 10-16-2003, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by MrGone
yeah, you've got a slipping clutch. I'd start buying parts now and lay off driving it hard. When it gets to the point that you cant even go up hills with out it slipping your going to want to plan some downtime to change the clutch, but its best not to wait that long, because it could just stop grabbing all together, which will leave you stranded, and thats not fun.

You also might want to consider a Fidanza, Their really cool
My car will bve in storage for 5 months as of November 1st. So I have plenty of down time to buy things I need. I am looking into an Exedy OEM clutch and a Fidenza flywheel.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:31 AM

upgrades

Originally Posted by billy_corgan
My car will bve in storage for 5 months as of November 1st. So I have plenty of down time to buy things I need. I am looking into an Exedy OEM clutch and a Fidenza flywheel.
That is slipping the clutch, but you might be the one doing it, not your car. Your driving style might have just been used to revving it too much and giving it too much gas to clutch ratio. I mean, it would always be a good idea to have the money for something like a clutch in case it went out, but if a clutch is used properly, it should not be going bad for a long time. How many miles are on your Max? Knock on wood, mine is at 81k and still good and tight.
While on that subject, you might want to consider upgrading your pulleys too while you are putting in another lighter flywheel. This will help you out tremendously. I want to do all of that, but I want to do it all at once, and it is kind of pricey to do. I just don't want to have to take all that same stuff apart another time after I do it that once. I would rather just knock it out all at once.
Just some thoughts...
Old 10-16-2003, 02:40 PM

115k on oem cluth. no slipping, stil holds tight.. but its starting to grab a little late after a shift..time for new clutch soon.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
That is slipping the clutch, but you might be the one doing it, not your car. Your driving style might have just been used to revving it too much and giving it too much gas to clutch ratio. I mean, it would always be a good idea to have the money for something like a clutch in case it went out, but if a clutch is used properly, it should not be going bad for a long time. How many miles are on your Max? Knock on wood, mine is at 81k and still good and tight.
While on that subject, you might want to consider upgrading your pulleys too while you are putting in another lighter flywheel. This will help you out tremendously. I want to do all of that, but I want to do it all at once, and it is kind of pricey to do. I just don't want to have to take all that same stuff apart another time after I do it that once. I would rather just knock it out all at once.
Just some thoughts...
No it is slipping. I am positive. I have a few reasons as to why it went out after 50,000 miles. I was running nitrous a month and a half ago. Im sure that is not good for a stock clutch, even with just a 35 shot. I used to also drive the car hard, not so much anymore, I am used to its power now. Big burnouts cant be good either.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:39 PM

The old school automotive textbook definition of clutch slippage,is when your going up hill, or are in high gear at low rpm (almost lugging the engine) and the clutch can't hold and the revs pop up.

My clutch is stock at 124k and still has plenty of life left, but the shifts are somewhat softer than when I first got my Max at 35k. I never thought the Max's clutch action was that aggressive in the first place though.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Max Noob
$130 on ebay for an exedy replacement clutch for the max. its not a stage 1, but they claim liek a 5-10 % more clamping pressure over stock.

how is it? because my clutch is slipping as well a little now but i think it'll die really really soon