4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

CRAZY day...my MAX blew up...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 01:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 96shogunmax
a clutch doesnt kill a tranny, people do

my opinion about breaking a tranny, if you drive like a a*ss/ abuse the car, your tranny will break. One excellent way to break a tranny is taking off and you see all that wheel hop and you dont stop. That right there will put alot of stress on that alloy case and break it. I have cracked a case and broke three gears to include the diff gear. ACT clutch does not break the tranny, is the driver. If ACT kept on breaking trannies then everyone on this board would never buy a ACT. I constantly install ACT clutches on many cars and I have yet to see one come back with a broken tranny. I just give them the spill. They can take the advice or do what ever they want. A good tranny is pretty expensive. I know I paid $1050.00 for my tranny but. It came off a 99 max with very low mileage.

Adam sorry to hear you busted your tranny, because thats what it sounds like. My advice to you is to try to find one from www.car-part.com. Many of those places will ship you the tranny under $75.00 ground. I would suggest you get a LSD tranny or give your stock Diff to shadow and he can convert your stock diff to a LSD diff. Works just fine. If you hear a clik clik clik noise and you could not get it into certain gears your tranny is shot.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:48 PM

I just think that it is ironic that people say that ACT is the best clutch when the car comes with an Exedy clutch. This is because many people say that NGKs are the only plugs for our cars because our cars are engineered for the NGK's. Using this logic would lead me to believe that the Exedy Stage 1 is better than the ACT. Just a thought......
Old 10-20-2003, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by 96shogunmax
i paid 450 for my tranny and all conversion parts w/3 month warrenty as well
where the hell did you get conversion parts. Ive been looking for ages and I cant find them except at the dealership.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by ivelweyz
Brian's back, yay(in retard voice)...
Old 10-20-2003, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by maseo77
are u serious?... cause i am seriously considering what u just suggested.
yes I'm serious...
Old 10-20-2003, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
Your last statement speaks volumes. And yet you still insist it's the clutch's fault.

It's an amazing thing that the guys with the least number of tranny/clutch problems are in the super/turbo forum, and yet they're the ones putting down the most power to the wheel.

Clutches don't kill trannies, people do.

1. The SC/Turbo guys generally don't drive their cars as hard as the N/A guys...I know from personal experience.

2. I ran Nitrous on my maxima...and I never ran the risk of breaking the trans on the juice becuase all the car did under power was spin the tires....when I'd shift hard...the tires would just start spinning equaling less shock on the tranny. N/A....the tires might give a little chirp...but generally they would would stick leading to much more shock to the tranny. Under more power the car would also tend to spin vs. hopping N/A.

3. The maxima's 5-speed transmission can hold POWER very well (the guys with over 400whp are a good example of this) what the maxima's trans does NOT do well is deal with SHOCK. A clutch with a good smooth, soft engagement and lots of holding power is ideal. Clutchnet clutches like the one that mardigras runs is a very good example of a clutch that has softer engagement but very good holding power.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:01 PM

It is such BS to me to buy a performance cluth and want a soft engagement...thats not why I bought my clutch....

I think I bought my clutch for the wrong reasons....I think the ACT clutch is a good clutch but TOO good for our tranny to take.

You better believe when the tranny is replaced, ACT will come out to make way for a OEM clutch...

for all motor power levels i have no reason to have this clutch. at the time all i thought about was for 50 more dollars i could have a performance clutch...i didnt realize the application would REQUIRE me to shift slower and drive slower at risk to my tranny.

Nealoc drives hard from what I know on a stock clutch. Its plenty to hold all motor power levels...i am going back to stock.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by luckee2bhere
Nealoc drives hard from what I know on a stock clutch. Its plenty to hold all motor power levels...i am going back to stock.
He drives plenty hard on his STOCK clutch....over 200 1/4 mile passes hard....
Old 10-20-2003, 07:16 PM

thats what im talking about....

no need for ACT....GOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDBYE
Old 10-20-2003, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
BS it has nothing to do with ACT clutches....

I was one of the first guys on the .org to pick up an ACT clutch about 3 years ago...before that I had over 60,000 HARD driven miles on my 5-speed problem free.....after the clutch went in I went through THREE transmissions in the next 40,000 miles....not the clutch my a$$....

I have heard of SO many .org members blowning up their trannies with ACTs over the past 3 years it's just getting sickening.

As for the guys who say it's the driver and not the clutch. Who the hell buys a performance clutch for their car only to baby the hell out of it???
i agree, there was a thread up about 5 months ago or so, and it was calling all the people who have had a broken tranny in some way. more than 80% of the people to had problems had had an ACT clutch put in within about 20k miles of their tranny problem. i am not saying the clutch is defective, it seems to be a really well built clutch, but some parts just dont go well with certain cars. and i think this is one of those cases. the act clutch is just to agressive with grabbing for a stock maxima tranny IMO.
say what you will about "people break trannys, not clutches, blah, blah, blah," but you cant argue with statistics. although i do agree that it is partly the persons fault, but only in the aspect of.... you get a new clutch, that is extra strenght and grabs super hard (ACT), so you then think that you can slam into gears, and drop the clutch without slipping it from higher rpm's, and i believe that all this, and the new found sense of confidence in the performance clutch leads to the fact that over 80% if people with tranny problems have or had the act clutch. and with all of briguys problems on his tranny, i think he is perfect testimony and proof.
whether or not this is the case with luckytobehere, i dont know, but i wouldnt doubt it.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:03 PM

i tell you what...when i first got my clutch...me driving it was harsh as **** ...i couldnt shift the 1-2 without wheel hopping my car like crazy and i felt like this was why people were complaining about broken trannys

once i learned to feel the shift.....i shifted quick and kind of swiftly but quickly let of the clutch...i didnt drop it at all...i would get a quick chirp and i would be in 2nd....

this happened in 1st gear....BEFORE i shifted....i thought if i messed up my car at all it would have been at the 1-2 shift cause that seemed the most stressful on my car.

this happened without a shift....

say what you want people...ACT was not made for the stock tranny and thats that. i really hate the fact that some of you think otherwise cause all its going to do is have some other poor schmo like me go out and get ACT....

for all motor there is ZERO need for ACT...fastest guys on the board....nealoc and vqdriver....both with stock clutches....
Old 10-20-2003, 08:27 PM
Sports Button FTW

Ok, so everyone feels the best of both worlds is to get ACT clutch and OEM pressure plate? Will this reduce the pressure needed to push the clutch pedal down? i'm nowhere in need of a clutch (my oem has very little to now slipping) but just a thought for the future. Everyone knows i'm the slowest shifter in the world, not purposely. When i had my 95 GLE with ACT, i could chirp 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear. I'm guessing because ACt did half the work for me with its extra engagement power.

My question is, what benefit is there with OEM pressure plate and ACT clutch? ACT clutch is popular cause of extra power in engagement but if pressure plate does that, why not just get entire OEM clutch? how much better is ACT clutch over OEM? pressure plate does more engaging but i dont see where it helps us to keep act clutch (when replacing ACT pressure plate to OEM). Someone tell me the benefit of ACT clutch over OEM
Old 10-20-2003, 08:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

thats a perfect description of what i heard.
that is also what a slung rod sounds like, so maybe the tranny is not your problem.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:31 PM
Sports Button FTW

^^^^ sorry i kind of confused myself so maybe half of u r too.

What i'm trying to say is, for those keeping act clutch but replacing pressure plate with OEM, what advantage is there of ACT clutch over OEM? If none might as well go all out OEM right?

And i also get wheel hop especially in the rain but like JAY25 said, i let off of gas cause i'm worried of what it may do to my tranny...
Old 10-20-2003, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by meccanoble
^^^^ sorry i kind of confused myself so maybe half of u r too.

What i'm trying to say is, for those keeping act clutch but replacing pressure plate with OEM, what advantage is there of ACT clutch over OEM? If none might as well go all out OEM right?

And i also get wheel hop especially in the rain but like JAY25 said, i let off of gas cause i'm worried of what it may do to my tranny...
There are TWO main parts to a clutch, the pressure plate (that does the clamping) and the disc. An ACT clutch is basically a rebuilt stock Maxima clutch with more holding power from the pressure plate and a reduced marcel on the disc for quicker engagement.

I was suggesting using the ACT modified pressure plate with a stock UNMODIFIED disc.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by plurco
that is also what a slung rod sounds like, so maybe the tranny is not your problem.

maybe ...but i doubt it.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:39 PM
Sports Button FTW

There are TWO main parts to a clutch, the pressure plate (that does the clamping) and the disc. An ACT clutch is basically a rebuilt stock Maxima clutch with more holding power from the pressure plate and a reduced marcel on the disc for quicker engagement.

I was suggesting using the ACT modified pressure plate with a stock UNMODIFIED disc.
ohhh ok, i got it backwards. So this way we get the extra clamping (engagement) power with an easier disc? Whats so different about the OEM disc vs act disc?

if stronger pressure plate is waht causes damage to tranny when abused too much, what difference will the disc do?
Old 10-21-2003, 12:13 AM
Master Will

sorry to hear bro..
Old 10-21-2003, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by plurco

:attention i think plurco is right, you did mention that your car won't start. With a broken tranny, your car should be able to start but unable to shift to certain gears.

just my 02 cents

Eric
Old 10-21-2003, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by EZEMaxima
:attention i think plurco is right, you did mention that your car won't start. With a broken tranny, your car should be able to start but unable to shift to certain gears.

just my 02 cents

Eric

your are correct with a broken tranny your car will start. My car started. I could not get it into 1st gear only third gear so I had to bring up the revs and dump the clutch and thats how I got home. The car also made a clunk clunk noise. There was also tranny fluid all over the street. If your car does not start then you may have another issue.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by meccanoble
ohhh ok, i got it backwards. So this way we get the extra clamping (engagement) power with an easier disc? Whats so different about the OEM disc vs act disc?

if stronger pressure plate is waht causes damage to tranny when abused too much, what difference will the disc do?

As I stated in a earlier post, the clamping force is NOT what is busting the trannies...it's the harsh engagement due mostly to the modified clutch disc that engages much quicker than stock.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:28 AM

As I stated in a earlier post, the clamping force is NOT what is busting the trannies...it's the harsh engagement due mostly to the modified clutch disc that engages much quicker than stock.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:02 AM

3. The maxima's 5-speed transmission can hold POWER very well (the guys with over 400whp are a good example of this) what the maxima's trans does NOT do well is deal with SHOCK. A clutch with a good smooth, soft engagement and lots of holding power is ideal. Clutchnet clutches like the one that mardigras runs is a very good example of a clutch that has softer engagement but very good holding power.

You're exactly right about shock being the problem. But I maintain that it is possible to have an ACT clutch and not shock the transmission, just like it is possible to have no rev limit and not blow an engine up. It's all about how you use it.

What is going on with the Maxima transmission is fatigue failure. Any mechanical part has a fatigue life, and automotive engineers strive to make a part so that it just barely meets a specified fatigue life based on an expected duty cycle. I doubt that Nissan engineers expected the transmission to be abused the way some of us are treating it, even if the marketing department advertises the sportiness of the car. At any rate, the bean counters most likely dictated to the engineers to design a transmission to hold up to a fatigue life of x years assuming a fairly mild duty cycle.

Getting back to fatigue failure, if a part is stressed repeatedly at a level higher than what is called the endurance limit, then the part has a finite fatigue life. The higher the stress level, the shorter the fatigue life. When the part is stressed above the endurance limit, microscopic cracks form in the crystal lattice structure of the steel. Further application of stress in a cyclic fashion results in the cracks coalescing into a larger crack, which then propagates through the part until the part breaks. The part can eventually break at a much lower load level than what it was designed for, which is why you hear people exclaiming that they weren't shifting hard or even shifting at all when the tranny goes.

The ACT clutch allows a much larger shock load to be applied to the transmission, which can result in fatigue damage, shorter fatigue life and resulting transmission or other drivetrain failure. But it doesn't have to be that way, it's all a matter of technique.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max

The ACT clutch allows a much larger shock load to be applied to the transmission, which can result in fatigue damage, shorter fatigue life and resulting transmission or other drivetrain failure. But it doesn't have to be that way, it's all a matter of technique.

I believe this guy is an engineer, and technique is the keyword, is all how you use it. A stock clutch wont hold much HP and torque. Theres other alternatives get a softer engaging clutch. The clutchmasters clutch. The new 02-03 flywheels are designed differently then ours. The flywheel has a cushion design. Is not a one piece like ours. It is somewhat a two piece design. Unfortunately I did not get pics of the flywheel when I dropped that tranny on this 03 maxima this past friday night.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by EZEMaxima

just my 02 cents

Eric
let me clear something up real quick...

car wouldnt start cause my headlights were on for an hour and a half.
the windows barely rolled up when the tow truck guy came....

i am pretty sure if i went to start it now it would turn over....but its 100 miles away from me...
Old 10-21-2003, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by deezo

i dont even know what that means....
Old 10-21-2003, 09:33 AM

BriGuy what is your setup now?
Old 10-21-2003, 09:54 AM

brian probably has a turbo in his 350Z now he has a need for speed.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by JAY25
brian probably has a turbo in his 350Z now he has a need for speed.

oh i didnt realized he had moved on from the max...

i guess i should ask what was your latest setup before you got rid of the max...if you did get rid of it?
Old 10-21-2003, 03:58 PM

oh i didnt realized he had moved on from the max...

i guess i should ask what was your latest setup before you got rid of the max...if you did get rid of it?
latest setup was a third blown trans from the ACT clutch...I then put a stock clutch in the car and sold it with a new trans...
Old 10-21-2003, 06:59 PM

let me clear something up real quick...

car wouldnt start cause my headlights were on for an hour and a half.
the windows barely rolled up when the tow truck guy came....

i am pretty sure if i went to start it now it would turn over....but its 100 miles away from me...

sorry, i failed to read that part about headlights being left on for hour and a half.....i guess it's your trans then.....but i would try jumping it first to check if it does start before having someone work on the trans.

Eric
Old 10-21-2003, 07:11 PM

So whats up with the car? find anything out yet?
call me if you need any help.

Jake
Old 10-21-2003, 08:00 PM

Jake you know how to do a trans??? ha....id throw you 200 bucks if you worked on it one day with me.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:18 PM

maybe ...but i doubt it.
Why do you doubt it? there is just as much chance if not more chance of slinging a rod as a tranny going south under normal load. Lucky for you a motor does not cost any more than a tranny.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:35 PM
SXN

Jake you know how to do a trans??? ha....id throw you 200 bucks if you worked on it one day with me.
how much work do you think it needs now?
Old 10-21-2003, 08:48 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

All this complaining and whining about tranny's blowing b/c the clutch engaged to hard is just nuts. If you know anything about how to build a driveline, you'll know that you build the ENTIRE unit to work together. You can't go adding a HD clutch to a stock 5 speed and expect it to live long...it's asking too much! Get a built 5 speed with a HD clutch and you'll have plenty of fun. By the time some of you figure this out (after rebuilding or buying a stock tranny 2-3 times) you could have already paid for and installed a higher performance aftermarket tranny!
Old 10-21-2003, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
All this complaining and whining about tranny's blowing b/c the clutch engaged to hard is just nuts. If you know anything about how to build a driveline, you'll know that you build the ENTIRE unit to work together. You can't go adding a HD clutch to a stock 5 speed and expect it to live long...it's asking too much! Get a built 5 speed with a HD clutch and you'll have plenty of fun. By the time some of you figure this out (after rebuilding or buying a stock tranny 2-3 times) you could have already paid for and installed a higher performance aftermarket tranny!

yea right. where can i get a perf. aftermarket tranny for a 4th gen?
Old 10-21-2003, 09:07 PM
SXN

direct drop in tranny? correct me if im wrong but...no where
Old 10-21-2003, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver

Why don't you show us some links to stronger aftermarket transmission parts for manual transmission maximas?
Old 10-21-2003, 11:43 PM

yo the only way to get a sooped up trans is all custom peoples

Originally Posted by SXN
how much work do you think it needs now?
whole new trans....i prolly only blew first gear but from what ive heard its more effective to just go ahead and buy the whole trans.

Quick Reply: CRAZY day...my MAX blew up...