4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

people with EXEDY....broke trannys????

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 08:10 PM

people with EXEDY....broke trannys????

if you havent seen:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=257243

anyone with exedy ever blow their trans???
whats the deal with exedy? its less harsh than ACT right?
closer to stock clutch?
Old 10-20-2003, 08:36 PM

bump. I have the same question. i am looking into the Exedy OEM clutch.
Old 10-26-2003, 03:02 PM

Someone?!?!
Old 10-26-2003, 06:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have never heard of an Exedy blowing a tranny, thats why I bought mine instead of the ACT..I now have 7,000 miles on my Exedy Stage 1 and have not had any issues and I couldn't be happier. It is less "harsher" than ACT....ACT=39% grip over stock and Exedy=36%.
Hope this helps,
-Nick
Old 10-26-2003, 06:47 PM

*shakes head*
Old 10-26-2003, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by 95CustomMaxima
I have never heard of an Exedy blowing a tranny, thats why I bought mine instead of the ACT..I now have 7,000 miles on my Exedy Stage 1 and have not had any issues and I couldn't be happier. It is less "harsher" than ACT....ACT=39% grip over stock and Exedy=36%.
Hope this helps,
-Nick

if its that close im going to go back to stock.

i dont wanna blow another trans.

i had my ACT for 13k miles before my tranny blew...
Old 10-26-2003, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by plurco
*shakes head*
dont understand?
Old 10-26-2003, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by luckee2bhere
dont understand?
no I don't. I don't understand why you think a clutch blows a tranny.
i am not trying to be a smart azz, but come on man. when properly broken in an ACT can engage just like a stock clutch under normal driving. Mine does. Hell I shreaded a disc from driving like an idiot and it did not harm the transmission. Max. transmissions are flawed. this is a know issue. Have the proper shims installed in your tranny and don't drive hard all the time and you will have no problems. I have worked in the aftermarket auto industry for seven years and I know for a fact that product failure is 5% product and 95% human.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by plurco
no I don't. I don't understand why you think a clutch blows a tranny.
i am not trying to be a smart azz, but come on man. when properly broken in an ACT can engage just like a stock clutch under normal driving. Mine does. Hell I shreaded a disc from driving like an idiot and it did not harm the transmission. Max. transmissions are flawed. this is a know issue. Have the proper shims installed in your tranny and don't drive hard all the time and you will have no problems. I have worked in the aftermarket auto industry for seven years and I know for a fact that product failure is 5% product and 95% human.
i drive hard. theres no question. but the thing is i dont have to lose a tranny. on an OEM clutch i wont lose a tranny in 10k miles like i just did. and i can beat the crap out of it if i want.

nealoc has 200 1/4 mi passes on his OEM clutch/tranny. briguy went through 3 trans with ACT clutches....one every 6 months....

i dont understand why people still think the ACT works with Maximas...if you drive hard....it doesnt work....

BY NO MEANS am I saying the ACT is crap. Its actually an AWESOME thing. I just know the Maxima trans cant handle the force it applies...
Old 10-26-2003, 08:33 PM

are these exedys the ones on ebay? I heard the oem clutch is made by exedy. do you know if the ones on ebay are oe specs or if it's a key value or something all together different? It's a kit, so I was thinking key value, let me know if I'm wrong...

Here's a link to one on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2438653888
Old 10-26-2003, 09:11 PM

key value is crap from what ive heard.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:25 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

There is a direct correlation between the ACT clutch and Maxima tranny failures. If you fail to see it, then you're blind. Is the ACT crap? Not really (though a lot of people report failures of the ACT itself), but you cannot drive an ACT equipped Maxima like you can with the OEM clutch. The ACT clutch grabs far harder than the OEM clutch and that's why things are breaking. The clamping force is simply too much. The fact that the ACT clutch can chirp tires into 3rd and sometimes 4th is an indication of it's clamping force over OEM. With all that force and direct torque and shock, something will give. If you shift the ACT clutch softer, then you'll be fine, but if try to shift as if you had the OEM clutch, you're walking on egg shells. The only real need for using the ACT is on cars with substanially more power than stock (nitrous, turbo/SC). Running the ACT the right way on an NA Maxima will probably result in slower times because you really can't shift as quickly unless you want to risk something breaking.

Exedy makes the clutch disc for the ACT, OEM, and of course their Exedy clutch kits. The difference is really the clamping force between all these clutches.

FYI, my OEM 7 year-old clutch with 101000 miles, 143 1/4 mile passes, launches ranging from 3000-5000rpms is still running strong. It's never slipped and I have no problems banging the gears. I'd be an absolute fool to go with any other clutch than OEM.

Dave
Old 10-26-2003, 10:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

soo ok i have a question, are you guys talking about act stage 1 vs. exedy, i have the stage one sitin in my garage, my first trany blew because of the person b4 me, and now the diff. is shot in the one that replaced it and i can hear the throw out bearing making noise, both with stock clutches and rarely beat on, i bought the act just in hopes that it would last me longer, should i have gone with exedy? if i have to put another 5spd trany in this car im gonna either convert to auto or set the car on fire
Old 10-26-2003, 11:27 PM

+1 for nissan OEM clutch (not key value crap!)
Old 10-27-2003, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by DanIAm
soo ok i have a question, are you guys talking about act stage 1 vs. exedy, i have the stage one sitin in my garage, my first trany blew because of the person b4 me, and now the diff. is shot in the one that replaced it and i can hear the throw out bearing making noise, both with stock clutches and rarely beat on, i bought the act just in hopes that it would last me longer, should i have gone with exedy? if i have to put another 5spd trany in this car im gonna either convert to auto or set the car on fire

If you are NA and drive hard you have no reason for the ACT clutch.

And its very likely you will go through another trans with the clutch...

go OEM!!!! and dont look back!
Old 10-27-2003, 06:58 PM

If you are NA and drive hard you have no reason for the ACT clutch.

And its very likely you will go through another trans with the clutch...

go OEM!!!! and dont look back!

good deal, i went down to the local nissan dealer today and asked him to price it all out for me and then told him i didnt want key value and he agreed and told me he tries not to sell them, the OEM came out to like 235 for everything i think, it should hold up then huh, i drive hard very rarely and i do kinda want to take it to the track next year so from what i hear i'll be set with the OEM....great thanks to all of you for posting

anyone wanna buy an act stage 1?
Old 10-27-2003, 07:13 PM

Heres the deal..

ACT/Exedy stage 1- used ONLY for people who are pushing serious power (i.e. SCed/Turbo'ed/Nitrous'ed)..Car needs to be babied or you will break a tranny...

OEM- for every other maxima...PERIOD

Eric
Old 10-27-2003, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by 99Maxima5sp
Heres the deal..

ACT/Exedy stage 1- used ONLY for people who are pushing serious power (i.e. SCed/Turbo'ed/Nitrous'ed)..Car needs to be babied or you will break a tranny...

Eric
right right./
Old 10-28-2003, 12:13 AM

the 4th gen 5spd trannys tend to have problems with 3rd gears when mated to an ACT. It is not the clutch that is causing it, it is the driver. The clutch has the ability to put more stress on the tranny, and if you do not know how to avoid that, then you will break a tranny.

research, drive smart, and you will not have any problems.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:36 AM

Not always....
Our 5th gens stock clutch didnt even last 80k, and it was stock.

It all depends on driving styles and whatnot.

the sub $200 Exedy's on eBay are OEM replacements. You cannot find a stage 1 Exedy for under $235, or if you can, let me know
Old 10-28-2003, 12:42 AM
I'm needing a caw

I have a big doubt that the close to stock exedy can be 36% more clamping power over stock and the ACT is 39%. Either one is rated too high or one is rated too low. I've driven on both an ACT and an Exedy. The ACT has to clamp more then 3% more than the Exedy. I'm sure of that.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I have a big doubt that the close to stock exedy can be 36% more clamping power over stock and the ACT is 39%. Either one is rated too high or one is rated too low. I've driven on both an ACT and an Exedy. The ACT has to clamp more then 3% more than the Exedy. I'm sure of that.
Probably also depends on how well the clutch was broken in.

Ie, doing a burnout the 2nd day with your new clutch wouldn't help it (friend did that in his 16v jetta).
Old 10-28-2003, 12:48 AM
I'm needing a caw

I could tell by the pedel effort of the pressure plate. Once I get my act put back in, you will know what I'm talking about.

Originally Posted by davebond007
Probably also depends on how well the clutch was broken in.

Ie, doing a burnout the 2nd day with your new clutch wouldn't help it (friend did that in his 16v jetta).
Old 10-28-2003, 01:03 AM

I could tell by the pedel effort of the pressure plate. Once I get my act put back in, you will know what I'm talking about.
You're putting it back in? Not giving it to me? Oh darn.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:08 AM

I think the pedal effort has to do with the modified pressure plate the ACT HDMM's have. The actual holding capacity is the same for the disc's, but I think the extra pressure the act exerts gives it that few percent more.

Not entirely sure though.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by MrGone
the 4th gen 5spd trannys tend to have problems with 3rd gears when mated to an ACT. It is not the clutch that is causing it, it is the driver. The clutch has the ability to put more stress on the tranny, and if you do not know how to avoid that, then you will break a tranny.

research, drive smart, and you will not have any problems.
this is the BS i believed that made me buy ACT...now i have a broke tranny.

and oh...my 3rd gear works fine...1st in blown.

i hate the fact people are still spilling this BS>......iT AINT TRU!!!
Old 10-28-2003, 06:34 AM

this is the BS i believed that made me buy ACT...now i have a broke tranny.

and oh...my 3rd gear works fine...1st in blown.

i hate the fact people are still spilling this BS>......iT AINT TRU!!!

did you find a tranny yet? let me know if you need me to pick up anything on the cheap from the parts dept.

Jake
Old 10-28-2003, 05:53 PM

Your mistaken...

There are TWO exedy clutches to choose from, a OEM replacement and a Stage 1, theres a big difference. The OEM version doesnt increase clamping force, meanwhile the one im running does (stage 1)...

Eric
Old 10-28-2003, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dave B
There is a direct correlation between the ACT clutch and Maxima tranny failures. If you fail to see it, then you're blind. Is the ACT crap? Not really (though a lot of people report failures of the ACT itself), but you cannot drive an ACT equipped Maxima like you can with the OEM clutch. The ACT clutch grabs far harder than the OEM clutch and that's why things are breaking. The clamping force is simply too much. The fact that the ACT clutch can chirp tires into 3rd and sometimes 4th is an indication of it's clamping force over OEM. With all that force and direct torque and shock, something will give. If you shift the ACT clutch softer, then you'll be fine, but if try to shift as if you had the OEM clutch, you're walking on egg shells. The only real need for using the ACT is on cars with substanially more power than stock (nitrous, turbo/SC). Running the ACT the right way on an NA Maxima will probably result in slower times because you really can't shift as quickly unless you want to risk something breaking.

Exedy makes the clutch disc for the ACT, OEM, and of course their Exedy clutch kits. The difference is really the clamping force between all these clutches.

FYI, my OEM 7 year-old clutch with 101000 miles, 143 1/4 mile passes, launches ranging from 3000-5000rpms is still running strong. It's never slipped and I have no problems banging the gears. I'd be an absolute fool to go with any other clutch than OEM.

Dave
This is the most well rounded reply and the best statement that support OEM. Many on this board disrespect OEM parts for their car , but they are the first to complain about not being satisfied, with the expensive aftermarket parts that they buy. My uncle once told me"a car's clutch should last the lifetime of the car , if driven properly." I enjoyed reading your reply .
Old 10-28-2003, 11:10 PM

Your mistaken...

There are TWO exedy clutches to choose from, a OEM replacement and a Stage 1, theres a big difference. The OEM version doesnt increase clamping force, meanwhile the one im running does (stage 1)...

Eric

He's not mistaken, he drove a Exedy Stage 1.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:19 PM

Your mistaken...

What Jeff said has absolutely nothing to do with what you said. Both statements could be true. I seriously doubt Jeff is mistaken though. He's been in this Maxima gig for quite some time now.

To add to this thread, I think that the OE clutch and the OE replacement clutches from Exedy do not use the same pressure plate. So, where do your facts come from that lead to the statement saying the replacement pressure plate by Exedy doesn't increase clamping force?
Old 10-29-2003, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by davebond007
What Jeff said has absolutely nothing to do with what you said. Both statements could be true. I seriously doubt Jeff is mistaken though. He's been in this Maxima gig for quite some time now.

To add to this thread, I think that the OE clutch and the OE replacement clutches from Exedy do not use the same pressure plate. So, where do your facts come from that lead to the statement saying the replacement pressure plate by Exedy doesn't increase clamping force?
Even if they didnt use the same exact pressure plate, im sure the clamping force would be within 1-2% of stock since it is an OEM replacement. I cant find any info on the net of a reg OEM exedy clutches clamping force though...

And what i meant to say is that he might have been mistaken since their are two (well technically 5) different Exedy clutches. So what i said had everything to do with what jeff said. Even if it was an Exedy Stage 1 it may have not been broken in well, as with the ACT he drove. Too many variables i guess to compare the two since some people claim to get chatter, some dont, some say it grabs too hard, some dont, etc...

Eric
Old 10-31-2003, 11:10 AM
I'm needing a caw

I'm not trying to say someone is wrong/right. I'm just saying that if the exedy is only 3% less than the ACT, you will probably blow your tranny on the exedy as well. If the exedy is overrated and maybe grips something like 10-15% less than the ACT, you might save your tranny and still have a better clutch over stock. But not the ultimate holding power of an ACT.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by maxdis1
This is the most well rounded reply and the best statement that support OEM. Many on this board disrespect OEM parts for their car , but they are the first to complain about not being satisfied, with the expensive aftermarket parts that they buy. My uncle once told me"a car's clutch should last the lifetime of the car , if driven properly." I enjoyed reading your reply .
Your uncle was right...but the guys hear like to beat the nuts off their cars!!!

Old 11-09-2003, 09:51 AM

Hello

1. Ok Here we go Daikin is the O.E.M. to Nissan

2. Daikin & EXEDY Are the Same company

3. So when they make clutch kit they know what they are doing

I am a Direct dealer of Daikin & EXEDY if you have anymore Questions You and give me a call and if i dont know the /answer we can get them on the phone with us
Old 11-09-2003, 09:52 AM

http://www.mitsubishigraveyard.com/direct.html