4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Whats the word on: Cattman Headers & JWT Cams

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 09:22 AM
Old Maxima Legend

Whats the word on: Cattman Headers & JWT Cams

Well im at the crossroads or at least it feels like it. Whats next in the ceasar camp ? Well i still havent elected to sneak in a 35 shot, cannot afford a supercharger, or turbo..!

Also, against popular modding habits here at the org, I went the G-Force ecu route and stuck with the US manifold. (TORQUE BEAST)

So where to now ?

Cattman Headers:

Im really interested in this swap. Which would mean taking out the 7 month old warpspeed y pipe ( what a beautiful piece of work ) and doing the headers.

Im concerned about gains, and really hoped to hear from someone that has already installed and tested. Brian did post some numbers and it looked pretty good. I suppose I got worried after reading the post in the 5th gen forum about how those STILLEN headers did nothing and decreased torque in the 5th gen.

JWT Cams

The Jwt cams are also something I would consider. But again I have read on the boards that these cams are not going to do much for the 3.0. Has anyone got these and tested them out ?

Bottom Line: Either Project is a lot of money for me, with labor even more expensive. And I cant afford to make a bum purchase and end up with sorry results.

Weight Reduction

I have really covered this one. The few things I can do without going completely nuts would be: carbon fiber hood, dynobat battery, and lightweight sparco seats. That would drop me close to 100 lbs. But it wouldnt be cheap !

I appreciate the help and advice I get from fellow maxima.org members. Any advice and thoughts on the cattman headers, JWT cams, and weight reduction mods listed would be great. Furthermore, if there is something i have missed in the N/A GO FAST mods department please let me know. There is always the flywheel but I havent heard anything on it ?

thanks again
Old 10-21-2003, 09:28 AM
ivelweyz

Cams get you around 12hp and cost around $2500 including install. The headers came out a while ago and some guy bought them and was supposed to do a dyno. I don't think he did or the gains weren't that good. Also the JWT ECU and MEVI together are probably torquier....

Old 10-21-2003, 10:07 AM
Cheesing away...

Dave B would have to disagree with you on the jwt ecu and mevi.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by ivelweyz
Cams get you around 12hp and cost around $2500 including install. The headers came out a while ago and some guy bought them and was supposed to do a dyno. I don't think he did or the gains weren't that good. Also the JWT ECU and MEVI together are probably torquier....
Hey that would be me with the Cattman Header's and no Dyno yet. I don't have time or the extra cash. Just spent over $450.00 on new coil packs, one broke as I got started to change my plugs on Sunday! I just carefully bolted it back up, turned her over went to see the Marlin's vs. Yankee's over 20 mile's to and from with no problems. Simply amazing!
Guess it was still making good contact. Point is if it's not one thing its another.The way I figure it is I wanted the headers but was going to settle for the "Y Pipe" but since it came out I jumped on it. I'm having it installed in a couple of weeks then I'll go a head and Dyno it. I'll let you guy's know. Sorry.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How do you figure an ECU with USIM combo being less torquey than a JWT/MEVI? Think about it, and it won't make sense after awhile.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:39 AM

I definately would not go with the cams. For the money you could have almost enough to go the supercharger route. Think about it 12 hp or about 100 for almost the same price.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:51 PM
ivelweyz

Originally Posted by IwANnAMaX96
How do you figure an ECU with USIM combo being less torquey than a JWT/MEVI? Think about it, and it won't make sense after awhile.
It's torquier in the mid-range, up top I would guess the JWT/mevi would be better, don't you. Think about and it will make sense after a while...

Old 10-21-2003, 05:12 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

torque is what you feel down low, the jwt and usim would be torquier until u reach the top end, but its not torque taking over up there with the jwt/mevi, its the horsepower that u feel, so u'd feel alot torquier with the jwt and usim
Old 10-21-2003, 05:15 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

oh and ceaser i'd go with the cattman's scrap the cam's, it would be too expensive, go with the cattman's to get those few extra ponies since the rest of ur exhaust is complete im sure u'd gain around 5 hp, then do the weight reduction and u should be all set, maybe consider getting a 50 shot instead of the 35?
Old 10-21-2003, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by NOMAD MAXIMA
Hey that would be me with the Cattman Header's and no Dyno yet. I don't have time or the extra cash. Just spent over $450.00 on new coil packs, one broke as I got started to change my plugs on Sunday! I just carefully bolted it back up, turned her over went to see the Marlin's vs. Yankee's over 20 mile's to and from with no problems. Simply amazing!
Guess it was still making good contact. Point is if it's not one thing its another.The way I figure it is I wanted the headers but was going to settle for the "Y Pipe" but since it came out I jumped on it. I'm having it installed in a couple of weeks then I'll go a head and Dyno it. I'll let you guy's know. Sorry.
i have a 5th gen and my cattman headers should be ready and installed by thursday, funny i live in ft.lauderdale also(weston) and have yet to see a modded fourth or fifth gen so thats a plus, i remember brian mentioning he sent out a set in fort lauderdale besides mine so i guess he was talking about youre set
Old 10-21-2003, 06:46 PM
ivelweyz

Originally Posted by nismos14
torque is what you feel down low, the jwt and usim would be torquier until u reach the top end, but its not torque taking over up there with the jwt/mevi, its the horsepower that u feel, so u'd feel alot torquier with the jwt and usim
WOW good one. I wish DAVE B could respond to that. He actually HATES his setup, but it seems like there's something wrong with it...

Old 10-21-2003, 09:38 PM
SLOW

I wouldn't put much stock into the claim that JWT cams only make 12hp... our stock cams are very VERY mild and almost anything is an improvement. I'd wan't to see a dyno of them before making any hard claims but I wouldnt be at all surprised to see more than 20whp.

I bet a car with cattman headers, mevi, jwt ecu, jwt cams and the rest of the NA bolt ons would make about 210-220whp.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:53 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

im sure dave will chime in, hopefully lol

oh and to my defense, what im saying is that what u FEEL is the horsepower, im not saying that the extension of torque isnt causing the power increase, but u dont spin ur wheels up top, u feel the hp, but obviously its caused by the torque since its a hp is a factor of tq
Old 10-21-2003, 10:12 PM
ivelweyz

why do you always have 2 posts on top of eachother? Just edit the first one to include **** from the second one. No wonder you got so many posts already...

Old 10-21-2003, 10:29 PM
ivelweyz

Actually just bashing you. And what's wrong with bashing noobs who ask questions about **** that is answered in the thread below theirs???

Old 10-21-2003, 10:32 PM
SXN

info on headers http://www.vqpower.com/v2/modules.ph...article&sid=70
Old 10-21-2003, 10:39 PM
ivelweyz

Not much gain over a y-pipe. Also the NOMAD MAXIMA unless you have a current dyno I wouldn't waste maney on doing it after the install, unless you only want to know what your numbers are...

Old 10-21-2003, 10:44 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

ceaser i think if ur planning on getting the mevi then the headers would be a good idea just to free up that much more air flow, but if not, stick with the y pipe, the 5 or so hp that i mentioned earlier is prob not worth it for the money u'd be spending
Old 10-21-2003, 10:46 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I don't "hate" my MEVI/JWT setup, but I can't really say it's helping me much in the 1/4 mile. Only until I added my JWT ECU to my MEVI did my ET go down .2 and my MPH went up ~2mph. I can't help but wonder how I would have run with just the JWT ECU. Would I be quicker because I've got more torque to work with in the first 1/8 (where 1/4 ET is most important)? Having strong acceleration above 90mph is of little use to me. I prefer stronger torque and more useable HP. It may be possible that the VQ becomes a bit undergeared with the MEVI. At 7000rpms in 2nd, I'm at 72mph (75mph indicated)

Right now I'm trying to gather some dyno plots of VQs with the JWT ECU/intake/y-pipe/exhaust and SteVTEC is going to input them into Cartest factoring for stock height tires and shorter drag style tires. He's going to help me determine if the MEVI/JWT is actually better for drag racing or not. Jeff K use to own a 96 SE that went 14.3@97mph with a 2.20 60'. His mods were a cai/y/JWT ECU/exhaust. He made 187fwhp/206fwhp. He's trying to find the dyno for me. I also believe IronLung and BeJay have made around the same kind of power with over 185fwhp and 205fwtq. I've also been studying other people's JWT ECU/MEVI 1/4 mile improvements. As of right now, I'm not seeing a ton of ET improvement with the MEVI/JWT combo when you factor 60'. I am noticing stronger trap speeds with an average of 2mph in the 1/4 mile.

I'd really hate to find out that the MEVI/JWT isn't as potent as the USIM/JWT in the 1/4 mile because the MEVI really makes the VQ sound refined and under the hood, the MEVI looks so sexy I'll definately keep you guys posted about the results of our findings.

Dave
Old 10-21-2003, 10:51 PM
SXN

thanks dave, very informative, and the tests would be great to see...especially because im yet to get a mevi, and want to know if it would really help me or not
Old 10-21-2003, 11:15 PM
Cheesing away...

Dave, have you figured out if the JWT ecu actually raised your rev limiter? If not, are you going to talk to them?
Old 10-22-2003, 12:10 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by Dave B
I don't "hate" my MEVI/JWT setup, but I can't really say it's helping me much in the 1/4 mile. Only until I added my JWT ECU to my MEVI did my ET go down .2 and my MPH went up ~2mph. I can't help but wonder how I would have run with just the JWT ECU. Would I be quicker because I've got more torque to work with in the first 1/8 (where 1/4 ET is most important)? Having strong acceleration above 90mph is of little use to me. I prefer stronger torque and more useable HP. It may be possible that the VQ becomes a bit undergeared with the MEVI. At 7000rpms in 2nd, I'm at 72mph (75mph indicated)

Right now I'm trying to gather some dyno plots of VQs with the JWT ECU/intake/y-pipe/exhaust and SteVTEC is going to input them into Cartest factoring for stock height tires and shorter drag style tires. He's going to help me determine if the MEVI/JWT is actually better for drag racing or not. Jeff K use to own a 96 SE that went 14.3@97mph with a 2.20 60'. His mods were a cai/y/JWT ECU/exhaust. He made 187fwhp/206fwhp. He's trying to find the dyno for me. I also believe IronLung and BeJay have made around the same kind of power with over 185fwhp and 205fwtq. I've also been studying other people's JWT ECU/MEVI 1/4 mile improvements. As of right now, I'm not seeing a ton of ET improvement with the MEVI/JWT combo when you factor 60'. I am noticing stronger trap speeds with an average of 2mph in the 1/4 mile.

I'd really hate to find out that the MEVI/JWT isn't as potent as the USIM/JWT in the 1/4 mile because the MEVI really makes the VQ sound refined and under the hood, the MEVI looks so sexy I'll definately keep you guys posted about the results of our findings.

Dave
Bejay1 has great dyno #'s but runs a best 14.7X with a 2.1x 60'.

So far I have seen an average of .15-.2 improvement with my VI/JWT ECU. Not what I was hoping for in the begining. It is really not that big of a deal to swap manifolds and I may try to do so before this track season is up. I am going to give the VI/JWT set up one more chance this weekend at byron.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:57 AM

I have Jeff K's dyno plot and I've already played with cartest too. The MEVI would run away from the USIM in the 1/4, the results are 0.2sec and 2mph in favor of the MEVI. However at the 1/8 the results are simular, the main reason the USIM is slower is the 3-4 shift. Looking at the drive power curve (torque curve x gear ratio) the USIM loses to the MEVI after 70mph everywhere. For example the MEVI has more drive torque at 6800rpm in 3rd gear vs the peak torque of the USIM at 4500rpm in 4th gear.

Just for kicks I ran the same test with a MEVI given 205/50-15 tires. The results is it beats the USIM at every point in the powerband. Now these tires will cause a 3-4 shift in the 1/4 however with the smaller tires and the new effective 4.0 final gear makes more drive torque in each gear vs the USIM with stock 3.82 gears. There is alot more area under the curve and I'm sure the car will feel more responsive during daily driving. Also the 1/4 ET/trap don't seem to be any different with the gearing change. I believe the 3-4 shift is affecting the ET/trap otherwise it would have a lower ET.

So now all you have to do is find some nice lightweight 15in wheels and throw some 205/50-15 tires on them. That will give you more drive torque at all rpm than the USIM would prove at its peak! The car will look crazy with small tires in front but its all good .

Dave
Old 10-22-2003, 07:04 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by Nismo87SE
I have Jeff K's dyno plot and I've already played with cartest too. The MEVI would run away from the USIM in the 1/4, the results are 0.2sec and 2mph in favor of the MEVI. However at the 1/8 the results are simular, the main reason the USIM is slower is the 3-4 shift. Looking at the drive power curve (torque curve x gear ratio) the USIM loses to the MEVI after 70mph everywhere. For example the MEVI has more drive torque at 6800rpm in 3rd gear vs the peak torque of the USIM at 4500rpm in 4th gear.

Just for kicks I ran the same test with a MEVI given 205/50-15 tires. The results is it beats the USIM at every point in the powerband. Now these tires will cause a 3-4 shift in the 1/4 however with the smaller tires and the new effective 4.0 final gear makes more drive torque in each gear vs the USIM with stock 3.82 gears. There is alot more area under the curve and I'm sure the car will feel more responsive during daily driving. Also the 1/4 ET/trap don't seem to be any different with the gearing change. I believe the 3-4 shift is affecting the ET/trap otherwise it would have a lower ET.

So now all you have to do is find some nice lightweight 15in wheels and throw some 205/50-15 tires on them. That will give you more drive torque at all rpm than the USIM would prove at its peak! The car will look crazy with small tires in front but its all good .
What about 205/55 15? Would that size tire require me to shift into 4th? I have a pair of 15" 11lb millenia wheels that have 205/65 tires on them now, but I am willing to get different tires to change my gearing.

Also did you mean to say... "I believe the 3-4 shift is not affecting the ET/trap otherwise it would have a lower ET."
Old 10-22-2003, 07:14 AM

This is just a though and correct me if I am wrong...but on the 2k/2k1 engines...they added the extra power from exhuast, variable intake changes, but...........................also higher profile cams. So wonder if it would be cheaper to buy some 2k or 2k1 cams and run those?? Just a thought.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:19 AM
ivelweyz

CAMS would of course help but getting 5th gen cams will cost a lot and the gains won't be that good without the 5th gen intake manifold.

Will anyone ever make a higher final gear for us? I know a year ago or so someone was saying that there actually were some made but I haven't heard about anything since...

Old 10-22-2003, 08:25 AM

Well I figure if you have the mevi it will suffice for not having the 5th gen variable intake. Also looking at jerry rome nissan the 5th gen cams are 170-190 each. Dont forget about his .org discount..which makes them pretty cheap but still a pain to install. I'll pioneer it...I'm all stoked to do it now..until someone bursts my bubble and says the cam profiles are the same.

CAMS would of course help but getting 5th gen cams will cost a lot and the gains won't be that good without the 5th gen intake manifold.

Will anyone ever make a higher final gear for us? I know a year ago or so someone was saying that there actually were some made but I haven't heard about anything since...
Old 10-22-2003, 08:30 AM
ivelweyz

The cam specs should be avilable somewhere on the net, I even think that all the specs were mentioned in one of the threads here. Cam install is a $1k+ job, unless you do it yourself. Take into consideration that the JWT cams are $1k, if the 5th gen cams were any improvement I doubt JWT would make their cams cause people would be jumping on these like hot cakes...

Old 10-22-2003, 08:32 AM

Doing it myself is no problem. If I know JWT........they are probably reselling 2k cams..and claiming them to be custom. Hey I can dream cant I.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:33 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Excellent research. I appreciate it. Was this with a 7000rpm limiter or 7200rpm limiter.

What about running a test with 225/50R15 BFG Drag Radials? They're height is barely 23.9". With the USIM's power peak at ~5400rpms and the typical USIM shift points, the Max would be crossing the finish line right around 5000-5100rpms in 4th which is very close to ideal because it's right near peak power and acceleration.

Dave
Old 10-22-2003, 12:14 PM

Actually I used a 6900rpm limiter based on Jeff K's dyno for the MEVI. I found no real performance difference between 6900 and 7200rpm anyway, the results were 0.02sec in favor of a 7200rpm 1-2 shift . Even with the tire size change, given the same 60' the ET/trap is pretty much unchanged from stock sized tires with the USIM. However the MEVI runs 0.1sec faster with the smaller tires.

Excellent research. I appreciate it. Was this with a 7000rpm limiter or 7200rpm limiter.

What about running a test with 225/50R15 BFG Drag Radials? They're height is barely 23.9". With the USIM's power peak at ~5400rpms and the typical USIM shift points, the Max would be crossing the finish line right around 5000-5100rpms in 4th which is very close to ideal because it's right near peak power and acceleration.

Dave
Old 10-22-2003, 03:24 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Cool. Someone should sticky this or at least put it in the MEVI FAQ. Jeff K's numbers are good to use because they're some of the strongest I've seen for a I/E/Y/JWT ECU 4th gen VQ with the USIM.

Dav
Old 10-22-2003, 03:53 PM

Dave

Dave, don't get caught up in drapstrip et too much. You are saying that you would rather have a slower overall car that could possibly run faster at the track. None of us live on the dragstrip all the time. I would rather have a faster car (trap speed) than one that could et better. If et is what you want, then get slicks for the track. If a faster car is what you want, then keep the JWT/MEVI combo.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:29 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Actually I used a 6900rpm limiter based on Jeff K's dyno for the MEVI. I found no real performance difference between 6900 and 7200rpm anyway, the results were 0.02sec in favor of a 7200rpm 1-2 shift . Even with the tire size change, given the same 60' the ET/trap is pretty much unchanged from stock sized tires with the USIM. However the MEVI runs 0.1sec faster with the smaller tires.
Which dyno are you using for JWT/MEVI? I still want to hook this up and do some fiddling myself. I'm finally through the busy part of my week so I'll fire it up tomorrow.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:40 PM

venturing out of the 5th gen forum, glad to see someone esle intrested in all NA setup. On the JWT cams issue, I think they are worth it you'll more then likely get a larger increase then thought due to the potential of a 7700rpm redline! Also the JWT cams use a similar duration and lift to Tomei's VG30 mild cams, so I doubt they are the same as my 5th gen cams.With a reqorked ECU and headers the gains could be close to a stock SC. Good luck on the NA path.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:01 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Which dyno are you using for JWT/MEVI? I still want to hook this up and do some fiddling myself. I'm finally through the busy part of my week so I'll fire it up tomorrow.
I'd imagine he's using Requin6's dyno which stops at 6900rpms.

Dave
Old 10-22-2003, 09:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Dave
With your 7000 rev-limiter, what gear are you crossing the finish line in?
I stay in 3rd. Just wondering if I should try 4th..
Old 10-22-2003, 10:06 PM
ivelweyz

cams+JWT ECU+MEVI+7700rpm redline=drool. Actually has anyone even tried the 7700rpm redline? Or anything above 7200rpm for that matter???

Old 10-23-2003, 08:00 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Dave
That's what I figured. Got em both now. I'll plot both in Excel and do some cartest stuff when I get a chance.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:20 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

cams+JWT ECU+MEVI+7700rpm redline=drool. Actually has anyone even tried the 7700rpm redline? Or anything above 7200rpm for that matter???
There's no need to go above 7200rpms with the stock cams. I don't think anyone has a 7200+ rpm limiter on their NA Maxima.

Dave

Quick Reply: Whats the word on: Cattman Headers & JWT Cams