4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

attn daniel martin or some other experts

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2001, 10:37 AM

the other day my check engine light came on. i went to get it tested and two problems came up, a knock sensor [P0325] and PURG VOLUME CONT/V [P0443]. now the mechanic told me that if i have a weak starter (which i do), that can triger the knock sensor problem. so here is my question. should i replace the starter and hope the problem disappears or is there a better approach. also, i don't know what the guy was saying about the second problem, the purg volume. any help with that would also be greatly appreciated. btw, it will cost me 450 bucks parts and labor to get the starter, let me know if this is a rip off. thanks again.

ps: i don't really mind changing the starter b/c i was gona get that done during summer anyway.
Old 02-19-2001, 11:22 AM

What??????

Originally posted by riggy
the other day my check engine light came on. i went to get it tested and two problems came up, a knock sensor [P0325] and PURG VOLUME CONT/V [P0443]. now the mechanic told me that if i have a weak starter (which i do), that can triger the knock sensor problem. so here is my question. should i replace the starter and hope the problem disappears or is there a better approach. also, i don't know what the guy was saying about the second problem, the purg volume. any help with that would also be greatly appreciated. btw, it will cost me 450 bucks parts and labor to get the starter, let me know if this is a rip off. thanks again.

ps: i don't really mind changing the starter b/c i was gona get that done during summer anyway.
If you were going to change the starter, maybe you could (or a friend) could change it out because it is not that hard to do. I have to see what Dan B. Max says about the mechanic,s knock sensor theory. That sound a little off the wall to me but I am not the smartest man in the world. As for your other code, go to the thread on the 2/18 day and look for the thread starter name of "krog". The thread is called "Purge Cut Solenoid Valve". I have given him some hopefully helpful answers. Hopefully Dan will see this also and read it and throw in some input.
Old 02-19-2001, 11:27 AM

You didn't specify the model year of your Maxima or the odometer reading. That information could be helpful.

I never heard of a weak starter causing a Knock Sensor code. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen. The factory service manual does cite a weak starter as a potential cause for codes for the Crankshaft Position Sensor (REF), such as P0335 or P1335.

Some technicians read a Diagnostic Trouble Code which points to the "XYZ" sensor and jump to the conclusion that the sensor is bad and must be replaced. That could be a hasty judgement. Most sensors have a simple test procedure. In my opinion, a tech who blindly trusts the code and skips the test procedure is not doing a thorough job. Did your tech test the Knock Sensor? If not, why not? Maybe he is working on commission and is overly eager to sell a starter.

US$450 for a Nissan starter, installed by the dealer, is in the right ball park. That's at the high end of the price range. You can buy a Brand X rebuilt starter for $160 and install it yourself.

Diagnostic Trouble Code P0443 points to a problem with the Evaporative Emission Canister Purge Colume Control Solenoid Valve or its associated electric circuit. That is part of the emissions control system of your vehicle. Certain emission control parts are covered by a special Federal Emission Long Term Defect warranty. Check with your dealer and ask specifically if the P0443 defect qualifies for a free fix under this warranty.
Old 02-19-2001, 02:23 PM

i have a 95 max, gxe. it has about 44K on it. dont know if that makes a difference. thanks for your help. no i do not think the mechanic actually checked the sensor to see if there was something wrong with it. i didnt know that could be done. i will ask this nissan dealer that im going to on thurs to check the sensor out itself. maybe then i can actually wait to get the starter in the summer. for the second code i have written down the warranty you told me, i can ask him that too. thanks a lot once again.
Old 02-19-2001, 02:27 PM

o yea one more question, these two problems will not hurt my car if i drive it around will it? the mechanic told me it wouldnt so i have been driving it. thanks again .
Old 02-19-2001, 04:19 PM

o yea one more question, these two problems will not hurt my car if i drive it around will it? the mechanic told me it wouldnt so i have been driving it. thanks again .
I think the emissions code won't hurt the engine but you might have a problem passing inspection.

I think the Knock Sensor won't hurt your engine provided you run 91 AKI fuel all the time.