4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

manual transmission wont go into reverse??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 10:15 AM

manual transmission wont go into reverse??

about 80% of the time i cant put my car into reverse, especially the first time i use the car for the day.

I'll try to put it in reverse but it seems like there is something in the way, thats stopping it. it used to do this before but usually is i let off the clutch then pressed it in again and tried again it would usually work. But it seems to be getting progessivly worse now it happens every single time and pumping the clutch doesnt help putting it in other gears then going back to reverse doesnt help, neither does putting it in first and rolling forward a little bit.

nothing will disengage whatever is blocking reverse, eventually it will just go in, when i finally do get it to go, its usually fine for a little while but if i put it into fifth while not moving then try to go into reverse its locked up again, but usually goes after 3-4 tries. Its just especially difficult if my car has been sitting for awhile.

Also a couple of times when i struggle and finally do get it in reverse, if i then put it in neutral after backin up and let off the clutch the car jerks and dies as if it was still in reverse. othertimes when i go from reverse straight to first and give it gas, nothing happens as if it was in neutral, then i have to put it in neutral then back to first.

If anybody had any ideas as to what it could be that would be great,

I do have a pacesetter ss
my clutch is under 30,000 miles and i have about 90,000 on my car
Old 10-27-2003, 12:38 PM

Free Bump..
Old 10-27-2003, 12:42 PM

Sounds like your syncros are going bad because you cannot get it into reverse. When they do that, it cannot grab into the gear that it needs to.

As for it staying in reverse, I don't know what that could be. I haven't a clue.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

well just try putting the car in first, no need to move it, then try to go into reverse. Jiggle the stick left and right and then aim for reverse. You can't push the stick down to R after you hit 5th which i'm sure you know that already.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

has this been a problem since the install of the shortshifter? maybe pacesetter messed up, or the install wasn't correct
Old 10-27-2003, 12:50 PM

tranny go bye bye
Old 10-27-2003, 01:21 PM

check your gear oil
Old 10-27-2003, 01:22 PM

--unscrew the bolt on the tranny and stick your finger in ther to make sure it is level with the hole(then it is good)--as said in this manual i have
Old 10-28-2003, 09:29 AM

ok so i took it into the shop, and the took apart the transmission and couldnt find anything internally, and said that that the transmission was perfectly fine, nothing wrong with it. They figured that it is the rod that goes from the shifter to the transmission, that is whats causing it, because when the transmission isnt hooked to that rod and is shifted manually under there it shifts perfectly.

The other messed up part is this is the third time in about 3 months i've taken my car into this shop (local place where i get my oil changed also)

The first time was for a leak on the right front axle which was caused by a worn bearing in the tranny. ($1700)

The second was because the tranny was stuck in second and wouldnt come out of 2nd or go in any other gear. And there was a bearing that got so wornit fell out, and that metal shards from the bearing got into the tranny which damaged to gears, which needed to be replaced. When i brought it in this time i told them that sometimes i couldnt go in reverse, although it wasnt nearly as bad as my present experience. They charged me ($700) which was slightly discounted due to the fact that i had just recently brought it in for transmission related problems, which i thought was way to high for a charge still being that parts were $80. I felt that was something they over looked the 1st time.

Now I'm on my freakin 3rd time there with a tranny related problem within 4000 miles of the last time i brought it in which includes a 2800-3000 mile all highway roadtrip. I'm really started to get ****ed off, so i was wondering what you guys think i should get charged?

Parts and no labor. Parts and some labor. Parts and all labor. Or no parts no labor