4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Drivers Side Axle Removal (auto) HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 07:17 PM

Drivers Side Axle Removal (auto) HELP!

I hope I actually finish this job soon....

Doing a Drivers Side front axle (bad cv) on a '95 SE Automatic and can't get the transmission end of the old axle out! I've tried prying it multiple times from multiple angles and it won't budge. The wheel end of it is removed and free.

The transmission is automatic. In the Haynes manual it mentions something about how you 'may' not be able to pry the axle out from an automatic transmission. If thats the case it says you need to go in from the other side and punch it out from inside. PLEASE PLEASE someone tell me there is a way to get this thing out without having to remove the passenger side axle. The drivers side was horrible with frozen nuts/bolts, I can't even think about having to remove the other side too now.

Can anyone advise me on this???

Chris
Old 10-27-2003, 08:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Grab and yank it a few times real hard. It pops out. Be sure you put the ring back on the end of it.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisA
I hope I actually finish this job soon....

Doing a Drivers Side front axle (bad cv) on a '95 SE Automatic and can't get the transmission end of the old axle out! I've tried prying it multiple times from multiple angles and it won't budge. The wheel end of it is removed and free.

The transmission is automatic. In the Haynes manual it mentions something about how you 'may' not be able to pry the axle out from an automatic transmission. If thats the case it says you need to go in from the other side and punch it out from inside. PLEASE PLEASE someone tell me there is a way to get this thing out without having to remove the passenger side axle. The drivers side was horrible with frozen nuts/bolts, I can't even think about having to remove the other side too now.

Can anyone advise me on this???

Chris
Get a chizzle and hammer and bang the outer part of the axle. Also remember to change the axle seal before putting in the new axle.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:10 PM

when I did mine, I had the same problem. what I did was put the nut back on the wheel end, and put an adjustable wrench loosely where the threads were before the nut and used a hammer to hit the wrench. I hope that's explicit enought directions.

An easier way is to use a slide hammer with a puller. But I didn't have those.

Don't listen to the haynes on this one. They're wrong. There's also good directions on the raxles.com site. Hang in there. You'll be proud when you're done.

Use a breaker bar with maybe even an extension on the other side. Have somebody hold down the brake pedal when you are breaking that nut.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:52 AM

Thanks Guys!
I just got it out this morning. The wrench on the end didn't work for me as there was just too much play in the old axle so it would just stretch when I hit it. I ended up using a cats paw and was able to pry it out with a good push. It was tight in there but I was able to get just enough space to fit it in there.

Whats the scoop with changing the seal? Some people say to change it, others don't. My brother in law is a mechanic (and a damn good one IMHO) and he had told me its not necessary. If it is, where do I get one and how do I do it?

Thanks
Old 10-28-2003, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisA
Thanks Guys!
I just got it out this morning. The wrench on the end didn't work for me as there was just too much play in the old axle so it would just stretch when I hit it. I ended up using a cats paw and was able to pry it out with a good push. It was tight in there but I was able to get just enough space to fit it in there.

Whats the scoop with changing the seal? Some people say to change it, others don't. My brother in law is a mechanic (and a damn good one IMHO) and he had told me its not necessary. If it is, where do I get one and how do I do it?

Thanks
It may not be necessary to change the seal but since you had a hard time removing the axle its more than likely that the seal is damage. You can check by rubbing your finger around the surface if it feels ruff change it if not most likely you can leave it but if it starts to leak after putting the axle in and driving a couple of miles your going to have to do the whole prcedure again. Good luck
Old 10-28-2003, 09:09 AM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Changing the axle seal isn't necessary unless the seal actually leaks. Max4u is right... feel on the inside, make sure there's no tears or anything.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:29 AM

Thanks. Feels good to me. I cleaned out some of the crud around the edge but it feels smooth and flexible.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:31 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

If you were messing with the axel for a long time trying to get it out you probably damaged the seal. I know I did when I tried removing my axel.