5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Front driver side noise. Bad axle? (Video included)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 02:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Front driver side noise. Bad axle? (Video included)

Hello,

My 2002 maxima driver side front end is making some serious noise. I have included a video.

It seems to get worse when I do the following.

1) Accelerate.
2) Steer right.

I inspected the cv boot and couldn't find any tears. I also checked the wheel bearing for slop and it doesn't appear to have any. When I first took the tire off the axle nut was just a little bit loose and I tightened it back up.

Also when I accelerate I can feel a little bit of vibration in the floor board when it is knocking. I am assuming this would be a bad axle but I am no expert. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.
Brian
Old 08-24-2015, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by boomerbrian
Hello,

It seems to get worse when I do the following.

1) Accelerate.
2) Steer right.

I inspected the cv boot and couldn't find any tears. I also checked the wheel bearing for slop and it doesn't appear to have any. When I first took the tire off the axle nut was just a little bit loose and I tightened it back up.

Also when I accelerate I can feel a little bit of vibration in the floor board when it is knocking. I am assuming this would be a bad axle but I am no expert. Any suggestions would be great.
Raise each front wheel and check for both radial an axial play/looseness. Put your gloves on and give it a shake. There should not be any play.

Your potential suspects are: a) LCA's, b) Wheel bearings, c) Axles, d) Struts, e) Steering, and possibly other. You comment about vibration in the floor makes me think about the LCA (it's attached to the "floor").

By the way, a bad axle usually makes a lot of noise when shifting P->R or P->D; this test should give you a clue.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:29 AM

When turning to the right is there a clicking sound upon acceleration?? If so sign of cv failure. No I did not watch link it didn't load first time.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

After getting the front wheels off the ground I am getting a clicking noise on the passenger side axle when shifting from P->R and R->D. I also see some grease slung everywhere around the inner boot so it looks like that axle is toast. The axle on the driver side isn't making any noise so there may be something else going on there.

Think I will tackle the passenger axle and go from there.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by boomerbrian
After getting the front wheels off the ground I am getting a clicking noise on the passenger side axle when shifting from P->R and R->D. I also see some grease slung everywhere around the inner boot so it looks like that axle is toast. The axle on the driver side isn't making any noise so there may be something else going on there.

Think I will tackle the passenger axle and go from there.
did that fix your issue?