4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What should I do with this 97 SE?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 09:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What should I do with this 97 SE?

ok, my dad has a 97 SE he is going to give me for its trade-in value. I drove it a month ago and since the check engine light has come on. The Nissan tech said something about it being an EGR problem, where can I get info on this system? Furthermore he said something about an engine knock caused by the EGR problem and that it would be resolved once the EGR issue was.... how does an EGR problem cause an engine knock? Thanks for your help!
Old 10-28-2003, 10:49 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Check the ECU code yourself and find out what it is. If it is the EGR, that can be cleaned and reinstalled.

Please read the FAQ and all the Sticky threads at the top of the forum, they will help you a lot.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

great thanks!

I read that a faulty EGR valve can raise exhaust temps relative to the higher NOX levels. This in turn can cause detonation issues which would be this mysterious "engine knock" im hearing about. I know its not mechanical because i drove the car less than 30 days ago and it was flawless.

I look forward to joining you all here with my newfound 97 SE your site has already been helpful in assisting me in lining up mods that the sale of my 94 jetta will fund.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:44 PM

welcome aboard..........