4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help - Stut/Bearing/Isolater/boot problem???

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2001, 05:39 AM

need some help.
My car is making a pretty awful screetching sound on the front left side. When I go to the front of the car and bounce the left side (right side if your facing the car) the car makes a bad noise (sounds like something is not lubricated) The dust boot is in bad condition. The sound is obvious while I'm moving slowly, not so loud when I'm moving fast on the highway (less bumps I guess)
A fried suggested that when a stut goes bad you hear more of a clunking noise so it might not be the strut.

any opinions suggestions?

thanks

Its a 95se with 117k.
Old 02-20-2001, 07:27 AM

Looking for clues at the scene of the crime

Originally posted by Pappa Grande
need some help.
My car is making a pretty awful screetching sound on the front left side. When I go to the front of the car and bounce the left side (right side if your facing the car) the car makes a bad noise (sounds like something is not lubricated) The dust boot is in bad condition. The sound is obvious while I'm moving slowly, not so loud when I'm moving fast on the highway (less bumps I guess)
A fried suggested that when a stut goes bad you hear more of a clunking noise so it might not be the strut.

any opinions suggestions?

thanks

Its a 95se with 117k.
It is important to identify the source of the noise. A four-foot length of small diameter rubber vacuum hose will help you do this. You can buy the hose in any auto parts store. They typically sell it in bulk for about US$0.50 per foot. Put one end of the hose in your ear and the other end near any suspected source of noise. Have an assistant do the "bumper jounce" maneuver to provoke the awful screech while you listen.

Listen to the strut, the ball joint, the control arm bushing, the sway bar bushings. Listen to everything that moves when the suspension works. You will have to lie on the ground with your arm and the hose under the car for some of these tests. You may find it convenient to have the car up on ramps.

With patience you will find the origin of the noise. I call this kind of careful investigation "Looking for clues at the scene of the crime." Good luck!
Old 02-20-2001, 07:29 AM

Constant Velocity Joint?

Originally posted by Pappa Grande
need some help.
If you are saying the dust boot is in bad condition, are you referring to the CV boot? When driving around 10-20mph and turning, do you hear a clicking noise (or any other noise) coming from the front LH side? If the CV boot is cracked and no longer has grease in it, you have found your problem. If you answered yes to these, or some of these questions, I beleive you will have found the culprit. Sad to say the joint is probably in need of replacement. Check the other side to while you are at it and if it looks cracked, old or worn in any way, change it to prevent further repair bills. Do BOTH the inner and outer boots as this would be the best time to do so. It won,t cost that much extra and even if it looks good, piece of mind goes a long way.
Old 02-20-2001, 08:19 AM

Re: Constant Velocity Joint?

DBM, DH - thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to investigate further and will let you know what turns up.

[/I][/QUOTE]

If you are saying the dust boot is in bad condition, are you referring to the CV boot? When driving around 10-20mph and turning, do you hear a clicking noise (or any other noise) coming from the front LH side? If the CV boot is cracked and no longer has grease in it, you have found your problem. If you answered yes to these, or some of these questions, I beleive you will have found the culprit. Sad to say the joint is probably in need of replacement. Check the other side to while you are at it and if it looks cracked, old or worn in any way, change it to prevent further repair bills. Do BOTH the inner and outer boots as this would be the best time to do so. It won,t cost that much extra and even if it looks good, piece of mind goes a long way. [/I][/QUOTE]