4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Does CEL appear when tey turned?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 12:36 PM

Does CEL appear when tey turned?

My question is just that ... does the CEL appear when you turn your key to the location before starting? I just want to make sure that my CEL bulb is still working. Thnaks!
Old 10-30-2003, 01:49 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

The CEL will come on when the key is in the run position with the engine off.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:43 PM

yeah......

it is when it is flashing that you should have a reason to worry. Solid color with no flashing....normal.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:37 AM

thanks mzmtg.

I recently bought the car from a friend and before he sold it to me there was a problem with the MAF and the CEL came on to inform him of the problem. Now I was figureing that it should come on when the key is in run position ... it isn't and according to you it should be. Is there some way to check if the light works? I think I have read somewhere about checking the CEL by turning a screw down by the gas pedal ... would this show the light working even if there is no problem? Otherwise, I guess I will have to replace the bulb ... and that seems to a big job if I have to rip the whole dash apart.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 11-08-2003, 02:58 PM

My CEL light does not work. I attempted to check the light by checking if any codes would appear by turning the screw by the gas pedal. It did not come on at all and now I think I ruined it by not following the "DO NOT FORCE PAST STOP" direction. I am quite frustrated with the situation ... also my "Air Bag" light has just begun to flash today ... adding to the frustration since my car is new to me for 3 weeks now.

Can someone please instruct me on what to do ... concerning:
1. Replacing the CEL bulb (which I assume is why the CEL is not working).

2. Fix the screw/box that I busted by not following the directions.

3. Save some $$$ in fixing my airbag problem ... not knowing whether it was the modulator, battery, etc. ... checking my SRS code I got continual long slow blinks.

I need some help ... I hope you can provide it.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by palaman
My CEL light does not work. I attempted to check the light by checking if any codes would appear by turning the screw by the gas pedal. It did not come on at all and now I think I ruined it by not following the "DO NOT FORCE PAST STOP" direction. I am quite frustrated with the situation ... also my "Air Bag" light has just begun to flash today ... adding to the frustration since my car is new to me for 3 weeks now.

Can someone please instruct me on what to do ... concerning:
1. Replacing the CEL bulb (which I assume is why the CEL is not working).

2. Fix the screw/box that I busted by not following the directions.

3. Save some $$$ in fixing my airbag problem ... not knowing whether it was the modulator, battery, etc. ... checking my SRS code I got continual long slow blinks.

I need some help ... I hope you can provide it.
If you improperly reset your ecu and set the screw all the way in one direction(cant remember what direction) the CEL will not appear, even when the car is in the run position. There is a name for this but i cannot seem to remember.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:52 PM

Its a stretch, but perhaps the light is not broken, but simply unplugged because the previous owner didnt care to fix that actual problem at hand.

Derek
Old 11-08-2003, 07:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

well concerning this problem, i may be of some help... but probably not much. i have the same blinking light on one of my maxima's... (the 98 gle)...
i took it to the mechanic, and he told me it was a modulator, (which i am told is sort of common to go) and it is for my rear pasenger side airbags. he told me it would cost about 500-600 dollars to fix. also, there is a way to reset the light, but it only works if there is not a problem with your airbags.

i am not sure off hand on what the procedure is, but i will do a search for you.
hope this helps alittle.

Chris
Old 11-08-2003, 08:01 PM

alright, here it is... hope it works out for you... let us know.

As part of the SRS system, you have to try to reset it via the SRS computer (ie. open door, turn ignition to "on", press rubber door open button 5 times within 7 seconds of turning to "on" (this puts computer into diagnostic mode), turn ignition "off".
Old 11-08-2003, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Blkmax95c
alright, here it is... hope it works out for you... let us know.

As part of the SRS system, you have to try to reset it via the SRS computer (ie. open door, turn ignition to "on", press rubber door open button 5 times within 7 seconds of turning to "on" (this puts computer into diagnostic mode), turn ignition "off".

Thanks BLKMAX!

I followed your directions and pulled the code. The code was 2 long, 2 short, repeating ...

Can tell me what that code means? .. or tell me where to find out ...

I guess worst case is to call the dealer but I am sure they would only tell me if they are having a really good day ...

Thanks again!! ... any more solutions anyone?
Old 11-09-2003, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by palaman
Thanks BLKMAX!

I followed your directions and pulled the code. The code was 2 long, 2 short, repeating ...

Can tell me what that code means? .. or tell me where to find out ...

I guess worst case is to call the dealer but I am sure they would only tell me if they are having a really good day ...

Thanks again!! ... any more solutions anyone?

n/p palaman... you can try to SEARCH, or try the service manual. i know you are new to the fourms, so i am not going to bust you up about not searching, but to limit the flaming on your part, be sure to search for you answer to every question before you post.

but on another note, try this for your air bags --- check under you drivers side and passengers side seat for your air bag controlers. once you have located them, check the connection between them, and make sure they are secure. if not, then press them in firmly. or you can unplug them, and re-plug them back in. sometimes on bumpy roads the connection will jiggle lose for a second, and it will trip the light you see. give it a try, and let us know how it goes.

Chris
CRC