4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rewire fog lights to be the daytime running lights..

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 08:47 AM

Rewire fog lights to be the daytime running lights..

I did a search on this and only found how to do this on 97-99 maximas.

what is the process on a 96 to change the daytime lights to the fog lights. so as soon as i turn on my car and do not touch any of the lights my fog lights are the lights that are on NOT my headlights, but then when i turn my lights on everything works likr normal fog lights + headlights are on.

Let me know

thanks in advance
Old 11-07-2003, 11:45 AM

bumpidy bump bump
Old 11-07-2003, 12:27 PM

very simple......

wire up your fogs to get power from another item, like your windshield wipers, or directly from the a constant 12V source that is active only when ACC is powered up, like your cig lighter outlet.

You will need to follow the instruction for the Fog Light rewire off my website up to the point where it tells you to route the wire out of the Fuse/Relay box. You will then take that wire and connect it to an item that is powered at ACC and when the car is running.

You will still be able to use the standard fog off/on switch, but the lights will turn off when the car is turned off.

DO NOT!!!!! DO NOT wire the fogs to the battery. If you do this, you will have to turn them off everytime you get out of the car with the fog off/on switch. At some point you will forget and run down the battery. So do not do that.

link to my site for the fog light rewire write-up:

http://maxima.cardomain.com/memberpage/419549/4

hope this helps. If you want, take some pics and email them to me, and i will add it as an alternative finish to the fog light rewire.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:28 PM

heh....just realized that your name is the same as sonny aka santino in the God Father....... do you make women fear the bedroom like he did?
Old 11-07-2003, 12:38 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

http://www.lightsout.org/
Old 11-08-2003, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by LastBoyScout
very simple......

wire up your fogs to get power from another item, like your windshield wipers, or directly from the a constant 12V source that is active only when ACC is powered up, like your cig lighter outlet.

You will need to follow the instruction for the Fog Light rewire off my website up to the point where it tells you to route the wire out of the Fuse/Relay box. You will then take that wire and connect it to an item that is powered at ACC and when the car is running.

You will still be able to use the standard fog off/on switch, but the lights will turn off when the car is turned off.

DO NOT!!!!! DO NOT wire the fogs to the battery. If you do this, you will have to turn them off everytime you get out of the car with the fog off/on switch. At some point you will forget and run down the battery. So do not do that.

link to my site for the fog light rewire write-up:

http://maxima.cardomain.com/memberpage/419549/4

hope this helps. If you want, take some pics and email them to me, and i will add it as an alternative finish to the fog light rewire.
Awesome, thanks so much, my dad is good with all that wiring stuff i'll have him take a look at it, but one thing is is that i dont want my headlights to be on as well, i just want the fog lights to be one during the day. get what im saying?? but then when at night and i turn on all the lights everything works like normal

hhaha and surprisingly i still havent seen the godfather but i get it all the time "oh your name is santino like in the godfather right?" and my vice principle back in high school always called me sonny solely for that reason
Old 11-09-2003, 12:12 PM

bumpidy bump bump
Old 11-09-2003, 03:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

With the stock setup the foglights require the foglight switch to be on and the headlights to be on to turn on. The fogs get a 12 volt signal from the headlights when they are on. Many here have changed the the wireing so the fogs get their 12 volt signal from the parking lights, so the fogs will turn on with the parking lights. It would be just as easy to give the fogs the 12 volt signal from a source that is switched on with the ignition so the fogs would be on whenever the ignition was on and the switch was on. You could leave the switch in the on position since the fogs would turn off with the ignition.

Here are foglight rewire instructions, just use a power source that is switched with the ignition instead of tapping into the parking lights. There ar other writeup with pictures but I can't seem to find an at the moment.

http://home.earthlink.net/~maxfaq/ (It i under the electrcal subheading)
Old 11-09-2003, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Anachronism
With the stock setup the foglights require the foglight switch to be on and the headlights to be on to turn on. The fogs get a 12 volt signal from the headlights when they are on. Many here have changed the the wireing so the fogs get their 12 volt signal from the parking lights, so the fogs will turn on with the parking lights. It would be just as easy to give the fogs the 12 volt signal from a source that is switched on with the ignition so the fogs would be on whenever the ignition was on and the switch was on. You could leave the switch in the on position since the fogs would turn off with the ignition.

Here are foglight rewire instructions, just use a power source that is switched with the ignition instead of tapping into the parking lights. There ar other writeup with pictures but I can't seem to find an at the moment.

http://home.earthlink.net/~maxfaq/ (It i under the electrcal subheading)
So if i do the mod on the page that u posted the headlights will NOT be on at all during the day right? just the fog lights right?
Old 11-09-2003, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by mzmtg
not really. even tho the lamp is in the high beam lens, the bulb is separate from the high beam bulb. its only like a 5watt bulb so i dont see why DRL would create a nusance
Old 11-09-2003, 04:47 PM

exact example of what i want...

will the link from that mod faq setup my car like this one?
Old 11-09-2003, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by santino
exact example of what i want...

will the link from that mod faq setup my car like this one?
Yes, except the link tells you to tap into the parking lights for power. To get the fogs to come on without parking lights you will have to find a power source that is always on with the ignition.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Anachronism
Yes, except the link tells you to tap into the parking lights for power. To get the fogs to come on without parking lights you will have to find a power source that is always on with the ignition.

Very awesome, Thank you very much, i will be doing this mod this week, ill post pics for everyone to see as well.