4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

parents' 97 GLE crashed with us in it

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

parents' 97 GLE crashed with us in it

i'm not quite for sure if this is a 4th gen subject, but i was going to post pictures of how well the cabin stayed intact after our crash... here's what happened...

my father and i (he was driving, myself riding shotgun) were heading north on route 1 in danville, il. right in front of a shopping center this guy heading southbound was going to turn left. he didn't see us coming and i look up (from reading my sport compact car, lol) just in time to see us going 40 mph as he swerved right in front of our bumper and then BAM! i had my sun visor down and at an angle and my head slammed into it knocking it off the mount and the plastic part of it ended up across the car. my foot which i had oddly wedged in my weird seating position ended up crumpling into the floorboard. my father (who is of large build) was sent into the steering wheel and received some bruising. the airbags both deployed properly and busted my lip in the process. my father ended up with a possible cracked rib and bruises where his belly met the steering wheel. i ended up with a 3 inch gash across the top of my head and a sprained ankle. the opposing vehicle was a later model 97-01ish ford f-150. the maxima apparently snapped it's axle in half and knocked it's frame hard enough the front of the trunk was sitting on the pavement. the maxima also took a beating, mainly from the initial point of impact being the ford's front wheel which caved the front bumper area in completely. i'll be posting the pictures of it as soon as we get them back, tonight or tomorrow.

i've never been in an accident of this calibre. it was a really bad experience i hope not to go through again. however, my parents, the bystanders, the responders, and myself were all amazed at how well the interior held up despite the front impact and the fact it did so well against the much higher and beefier truck. when trying to get the keys out of the ignition at the towing agency, the transmission shifter was stiff and didn't want to move into any gear. on top of that, the front end was smashed through the radiator and crumpled up against the front cylinder head of the engine. it's probably going to be totalled. my father is already wanting to replace the 97 GLE with a 5th gen, or maybe even an 04.

for those of you who have taken the time to read this story, i appreciate it. even though i've got some jitters in traffic from the accident, i feel more confident than ever that my maxima won't fail me in that situation. even better is that my 'rents didn't lose faith, but were impressed enough they want ONLY another maxima to be the replacement for their loss!
Old 11-03-2003, 04:35 PM
SXN
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ive been in my share of car accidents too (even when they arent your fault, they suck, and usually put you at a loss) im glad to hear everyone was fine. tell your dad to get a nice new max (that 04 ) then drive it all the time
Old 11-03-2003, 04:41 PM

sorry to hear about your accident, but hopefully your dad is ok. Good thing you weren't hurt either
Old 11-03-2003, 04:51 PM
DoGGy

sorry to hear about the accident, hope ur all ok

Old 11-03-2003, 06:29 PM
Maxima95Tuner

Wow... glad to hear that nobody was too seriously hurt. Go for the 03 6speed... those look so much nicer than the 04's. Good luck with everything.

Old 11-03-2003, 11:18 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

hope u all recover very quickly, glad to see no one was too seriously injured
Old 11-03-2003, 11:35 PM
ivelweyz

if you were in a 95 or 96 you'd probably be dead...

Old 11-04-2003, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by ivelweyz
why is that? 97 was a big upgrade in safety features? they are all 4th gen so i would think the crash results would be similar
Old 11-04-2003, 08:30 AM

Why would you say so, back up your argument, don't throw words into air
Old 11-04-2003, 08:34 AM

JDM4LIFE: It's good to hear you & your family were able to walk away from the crash. That was a really good write up and certainly leaves me feeling a little more secure in the Max.

Quick question...if you were wearing glasses, would you be worried that your face around the eyes would be bruised worse (maybe with "lacerations" from the frames of the glasses)?? That's always been in back of my mind. & maybe that's my best reason for upgrading to a Momo steering wheel??? j/k Having an airbag is still probably better than no bag.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:39 AM

Sorry to hear that, I feal for u been in the same situation... and why I purchased another Nissan. Had an alty and it went thru a real bad accident (total loss), got cliped in rear spun into the wall at 50+mph. The cabin held together great while the rest of the car crumbled, my bro was driving it at the time and I thought after seeing the car my first words were "damn u look beter than the car". He had minor bruising and seat belt marks but the airbag and rest of saftey features literally saved his life! I look at the pics once in a blue and it still shocks me.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:40 AM

Sorry to hear about the accident but at least you're ok.

Cars can be replaced, people can't.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by StygianMax
Quick question...if you were wearing glasses, would you be worried that your face around the eyes would be bruised worse (maybe with "lacerations" from the frames of the glasses)?? That's always been in back of my mind. & maybe that's my best reason for upgrading to a Momo steering wheel??? j/k Having an airbag is still probably better than no bag.
I wear glasses and when I got into my accident with my 95 Max, the airbags blew. My glasses came off my face, but I didn't get any bruising on my face.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:43 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by Vlad
Why would you say so, back up your argument, don't throw words into air

95-96's were less rigid and secure up front and in the rear, the bumpers were crap, so his argument hold some weight, the least we can say is that it definately would have been worse with a 95-96
Old 11-04-2003, 10:07 AM

thanks for the support everyone. as clee mentioned, cars are replaceable, people aren't. and my father was wearing glasses as well, they went flying off also and he didn't incur any injuries from it (even though the glasses were pretty banged up, fixable though!). the airbags did bust my mouth open, and the other driver looked like he'd just been in a bar fight from his air bag. however, aside from the aforementioned injuries, nothing else happened to us. we have little sore spots all over, but that's typical of an accident. i've got the pictures that were taken back and once i get back from running errands, they'll be posted on here. the insurance is getting arrangements for my parents to get a rental car until they figure out what's going to happen. they haven't deemed the car totalled yet. however, the damage sent the bumper support crushed into the radiator, and it seems as though the frame has been bent pretty well in the front. my father has mentioned looking at some 5th or 6th gens. i've got him pumped about looking for some 02-03s as a replacement. again, thanks for all the response. i'm glad i've instilled some faith in the maxima's safety!

btw, as far as the 97-99 being stronger, i've been told by many that the 95-96 has an aluminum bumper support (or at least a lighter, weaker metal) and along with some other bumper changes, makes the 97-99 stronger. in fact, there's someone listing a lighter 95-96 bumper support on the classifieds now. however, after yesterday, i'll stick with my heavier, safier piece!
Old 11-04-2003, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by nismos14
95-96's were less rigid and secure up front and in the rear, the bumpers were crap, so his argument hold some weight, the least we can say is that it definately would have been worse with a 95-96

I see, thanks for a comment. So the bumpers are the only difference in safety or the car body was made in some way more rigid on later years as well?
Old 11-04-2003, 10:29 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by Vlad
I see, thanks for a comment. So the bumpers are the only difference in safety or the car body was made in some way more rigid on later years as well?

im not 100% sure on that but u can see it in some pictures on the nhtsa or some site like that

they show a pic of a 95-96 that backed into a telephone pole and it had a huge dent plus a huge dent in the trunk all on a 5 mph impact, they did the same thing with a 97-99 and it had very little damage at all
Old 11-04-2003, 10:35 AM

Glad to hear you're ok.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:39 PM
U wanna try me young boy?

Were you both wearing seatbelts? Sounds like you were either leaning forward or not wearing your belt. Not that it matters now, though.

Glad you're not too seriously banged up. I hope your insurance claim goes smoothly.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:53 PM
SXN

Originally Posted by clee130
I wear glasses and when I got into my accident with my 95 Max, the airbags blew. My glasses came off my face, but I didn't get any bruising on my face.
yea, in one major accident i got into, sunglasses came off, and the air bag saved me from major head to dashboard damage. no side air bags, so i managed to shatter the side window with my dome didnt make me any less smarter..er. nismos14 is right about the bumper rigidity thing, the 95-96s arent the same as the 97+
Old 11-04-2003, 03:00 PM
ivelweyz

It's not just the bumper, both are plastic so that makes no difference. I think it's the reinforcement, the metal beam. I'm gonna try to get all that replaced during the conversion...

Old 11-04-2003, 03:10 PM

as far as I know metal reinforcement is called a bumber and plastic thing that goes on top of it is called bumper cover.....but usually everyone calls it just a bumper (the plastic)
Old 11-04-2003, 03:12 PM
SXN

It's not just the bumper, both are plastic so that makes no difference. I think it's the reinforcement, the metal beam. I'm gonna try to get all that replaced during the conversion...
the metal bar right behind the bumper...i was calling that the bumper
Old 11-04-2003, 03:13 PM
ivelweyz

The BUMPER is the whole assembly. The reinforcement is the big metal beam and the cover is what you see, of course it's filled with styrofoam...