4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What is the flex section on a y-pipe for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 04:04 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

What is the flex section on a y-pipe for?

excuse my intelligence on cars. I am sure i wil be flamed and i am ready. hehehe, but what is the purpose of the flex section exactley?
Old 11-04-2003, 04:14 PM
SXN
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if the pipe was stiff and solid, you would have a good deal of trouble lining everything up straight enough to bolt it down. Remember that to keep exhaust gasses in, all those bolts and such need to be very tight. so it can definately not be tightened crooked or at an angle, so something needs to be able to move, hence the flex section. Odd its call the flex section because your not supposed to flex it that much.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:15 PM

check this out, this might help!
Old 11-04-2003, 04:21 PM
SXN

yea um... takentomax theres not many posts about the purpose of the flex section. it was a very specific question that i already answered, your response wasnt needed
Old 11-04-2003, 04:24 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

i did not see it on the search but thanks for the recomend to serch anyways. That is cool considering i al eady tried the search.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:06 PM

expansion joints
Old 11-04-2003, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by SXN
if the pipe was stiff and solid, you would have a good deal of trouble lining everything up straight enough to bolt it down. Remember that to keep exhaust gasses in, all those bolts and such need to be very tight. so it can definately not be tightened crooked or at an angle, so something needs to be able to move, hence the flex section. Odd its call the flex section because your not supposed to flex it that much.

Actually, there is a flex section in the y-pipe not for ease of installation (that's just a side benefit), but because when you're on the gas or WOT, there is quite a bit of movement of the engine/tranny in the engine/tranny mounts on account of the torque generated by the VQ. This movement is transferred to the y-pipe.

The flex section is there to absorb movement and prevent undue stress to the exhaust system and contact interference between the exhaust and other parts of the underbody that would occur if there was no flex section.

(Careful, it's dangerous to think you have the last word on anything around here).

Old 11-04-2003, 05:19 PM
SXN

i never said it was for install only, but wouldnt u agree with my point that the exhaust cant bolt up perfectly straight, and stay perfectly straight without bending or stressing something? thats all i said about that. the engine does torque and move, another purpose of the flex section i did not mention... i didnt say i had the last word unless you are refering to the post about searching. my search brought up absolutly no result about the purpose of the Y pipe flex section...therefore i see no problem with my statement
Old 11-04-2003, 05:25 PM
Ramius83

Sumation:

Main Purpose:

-To prevent stress to engine/y-pipe/headers/exhaust
-Prevents MAJOR cracking of metal when at normal operating temperatures

Secondary "Side-effect" of flex section:

-Ease of install with that "extra flex"

Old 11-04-2003, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by SXN
i never said it was for install only, but wouldnt u agree with my point that the exhaust cant bolt up perfectly straight, and stay perfectly straight without bending or stressing something?:
Yes, but that's incidental. It's not the primary design objective.

Originally Posted by SXN
the engine does torque and move, another purpose of the flex section i did not mention...
Not just "another" purpose; the PRIMARY purpose. -As long as we're clear on that, it's all good.

Cheers,

-K-
Old 11-04-2003, 05:35 PM
SXN

Originally Posted by KWheelzSB
Yes, but that's incidental. It's not the primary design objective.

Not just "another" purpose; the PRIMARY purpose. -As long as we're clear on that, it's all good.

Cheers,

-K-
yea, we are clear on that...look at my first post
Originally Posted by SXN
something needs to be able to move, hence the flex section...
i never specified if it was for engine torque or for instalation...just said for the piping to move without buckling etc. Since i didnt discern that, why would i need to state the "primary" purpose?
Old 11-04-2003, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by SXN
yea, we are clear on that...look at my first post

i never specified if it was for engine torque or for instalation...just said for the piping to move without buckling etc. Since i didnt discern that, why would i need to state the "primary" purpose?
Well, if you're gonna pick one purpose, maybe pick the most important one? Whatever man - didn't mean to bruise your ego.

Peace,

-K-
Old 11-04-2003, 05:47 PM
SXN

i didnt pick a purpose...so thats not the issue. didnt bruise my ego, you just confused me.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:03 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

no need to argue over something simple. So do all cars y-pipes have flex section. Would a 300zx have one?
Old 11-04-2003, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by ManualMaxima
no need to argue over something simple. So do all cars y-pipes have flex section. Would a 300zx have one?
Every car that doesn't have it's engine bolted directly to the frame will have one. (and if your engine was bolted directly on, your car would vibrate like crazy)
Old 11-06-2003, 06:54 AM

so the damn thing doesn't crack
Old 11-06-2003, 08:00 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Actually, there is a flex section in the y-pipe not for ease of installation (that's just a side benefit), but because when you're on the gas or WOT, there is quite a bit of movement of the engine/tranny in the engine/tranny mounts on account of the torque generated by the VQ. This movement is transferred to the y-pipe.

The flex section is there to absorb movement and prevent undue stress to the exhaust system and contact interference between the exhaust and other parts of the underbody that would occur if there was no flex section.

(Careful, it's dangerous to think you have the last word on anything around here).

exactly,

SXN why so hash?
Old 11-06-2003, 11:44 AM
SXN

Originally Posted by NookieMax
exactly,

SXN why so hash?
did you even read the whole thread? did you see the points i made?
Old 11-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Handsome

Actually, there is a flex section in the y-pipe not for ease of installation (that's just a side benefit), but because when you're on the gas or WOT, there is quite a bit of movement
Yep, when I installed my Y-pipe it was rattling against somthing. I put the car on a lift and had a friend hit the brakes as hard as they could and give it some gas in gear. The Y-pipe jumped quite a bit and I can tell you that having a strong flex section is a must.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:42 PM
SXN

my last car had some sloppy engine mount bushings, and it moved a lot. if the y pipe bumps anything and makes noise, i found wrapping it is the easiest way to take care of it
Old 11-06-2003, 05:58 PM
Handsome

Originally Posted by SXN
my last car had some sloppy engine mount bushings, and it moved a lot. if the y pipe bumps anything and makes noise, i found wrapping it is the easiest way to take care of it
That's a good idea, it was hitting a heat shield so I just bent it a little, it has been quiet ever since.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:01 PM
SXN

thanks, like i said, my last cars engine moved a lot, so i already knew about that function of the y pipe... i glazed over that point. i would have done the same probably, if the heat shield is in the way, just easier to bend it out of the way