4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

98 maxima still hesitating

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 09:49 PM

98 maxima still hesitating

My first assumption was that the car was misfiring. This was not the case. I started with going to the Nissan dealership and had the car analyzed. The tech told me that my EGR wiring harness needs replacement. I did not believe them for one second and started reading up on posts dealing with hesitation of the engine and I've read some posts about the coil packs and they don't always have to misfire to be bad. I'm getting my fuel filter replaced this week. I've replaced the air filter and the PCV valve. I ran fuel injector cleaner and always run higher octane gas. The only error on the computer is for a "Crankshaft Position Sensor". The Nissan tech says that it's not the sensor. I took it to my mechanic and he's saying that it could be a bad selinoid. I have no idea what it is... But, the problem is not fixed. I'm still waiting to find out from my mechanic on what he thinks is wrong with the car. Them EGR wiring harness assembly will cost me $1,100+labor to install it. I tried looking for a shop that does electrical work on cars, but can't find any in my area. Can someone help me out? Has anyone heard of a EGR wiring harness going bad? Does anyone know of a good shop that can find the broken wire in the EGR harness? Do you think it may be some sort of a selinoid? Please let me know.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 95 Max. It had a hesitation problem. My problem was the mass air flow sensor. If you haven't tried that it may be a little cheaper to fix. Good luck.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:30 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Your error codes indicates you have a bad crank position sensor. There are two of them, one is called POS and the other is REF. REF is probably the one in question here. Your car will run if REF is bad, but will not run if POS goes bad. Crank position REF is located under the lower pully. You can easily access it by turning the front wheels full right and pulling back the splash shield in the right front wheel well.

If the sensor itself is not bad then perhaps it's a broken wire from the ECU to the sensor in question. IF thats the case you need to find the break in the wiring harness and fix it or run a new wire from the ECU to the sensor.

Your car is hesitating because that sensor is not being read by your cars ECU.