4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

C-V boot ripped

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 07:20 PM

C-V boot ripped

I got my snowtires put on today and the guy told me my boot was ripped, and i would need a new halfshaft. I find it hard to believe the whole halfshaft is is busted, since it isnt bumpy or making any noises (i suppose the joints still good), but have any of you had this problem, or know how much something like this would cost.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:22 PM
ivelweyz

yeah you need a new axle, $55 at autozone...

Old 11-07-2003, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by ivelweyz
yeah you need a new axle, $55 at autozone...
no you dont need a new axle.. if you are not having a noise from the cv joint, just replace the boot. There is no need to buy a new axle.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:53 AM
ABK

It's pretty damn cheap, you might as well replace the whole axle, just my 2 cents.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:09 AM
ivelweyz

Originally Posted by Kashoggio
no you dont need a new axle.. if you are not having a noise from the cv joint, just replace the boot. There is no need to buy a new axle.
yes he does. the dirt and moisture that got in there will **** it up sooner or later...

Old 11-07-2003, 08:12 AM

yes he does. the dirt and moisture that got in there will **** it up sooner or later...
Agreed. Just had mine replaced last week (outers). It depends on how long it was ripped because you can get sand and moisture up in there and ruin the axle. I was lucky because I noticed the grease on my wheel right away and the mechanic said there was no dirt in there at all. The boots were $28 each from Courtesy Nissan.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:54 AM

the labor involved to replace the boot is probably gonna almost equal the cost of replacing the axle. Believe me, dirt will get in there...take your finger and grab some of the grease from the joint, and it'll prolly be gritty from dirt and sand. Also, don't short yourself on the axle (buying a cheap one). I got one from NAPA, and it seems to be defective. I still have to get it checked out by Napa, but I noticed the other day that the RH outer boot is torn as well.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:28 PM

no he dosent, if the cv joint is not clicking or making any weird noises he does not need to replace the axle. ALl he needs to do is get the cv boot kit, which will have a boot, new clamps and cv joint grease. Yes dirt and water do get in there but thats why you clean out the joint and repack it with new grease. THere is no real reason to replace it if its not making noise. I do these joint all the time at work so I think I know what I am doing.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:31 PM
ivelweyz

last I heard dirt doesn't make a clicking noise. The clicking is mostly from a bad wheels bearing, which costs as much as the axle itself. Also installing a boot will take so much damn time that halfwy through it he'll just want to quit and get the axle instead...

Old 11-07-2003, 04:14 PM

last I heard dirt doesn't make a clicking noise. The clicking is mostly from a bad wheels bearing, which costs as much as the axle itself. Also installing a boot will take so much damn time that halfwy through it he'll just want to quit and get the axle instead...
ohh i totally agree that putting a new axel is easier and less work but a bad wheel bearing will give you a humming noise and it will get louder when you speed up. A bav jv joint will give you more of a clicking noise when you turn. My advice if you do get a alxe for 50 dollars buy it put it in and forget about it but if you feel like hainvg a fun project replace the boot... you can learn something new
Old 11-07-2003, 04:19 PM
I'm needing a caw

If the boot has been ripped for maybe less than a week, he could take the axle off, clean out all the old grease, repack and then reassemble. But have any of you done this? It makes the biggest mess you have ever seen! If the boot has been ripped for more than a week, the dirt probably has done it's thing on the bearings. And by that time, the grease has been flung out of the boot for some time. So the bearings have been riding dry for too long.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

interesting and useful discussion, a have a ripped boot and think for a while already, so I will replace the whole joint to be safe
Old 11-07-2003, 04:44 PM

an axle is only $55 at autozone?That with the boot and everything?
Old 11-07-2003, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
If the boot has been ripped for maybe less than a week, he could take the axle off, clean out all the old grease, repack and then reassemble. But have any of you done this? It makes the biggest mess you have ever seen! If the boot has been ripped for more than a week, the dirt probably has done it's thing on the bearings. And by that time, the grease has been flung out of the boot for some time. So the bearings have been riding dry for too long.
yep do it quite often at work..... I wouldnt say a week would ruin the cv joint but I wouldnt want to drive too long with it. and yes its very messy
Old 11-08-2003, 10:35 AM

Got under my car this morning and got scared to death...the driver's side CV joint is totally stripped, the rubber in pieces and no greaze whats-of-ever, totally bear.... I thought only passenger side was leaking...
Looks like I can't postpone it any longer, my local autozone quotes around $60 for rebuilt, how reliable is that???
Old 11-08-2003, 10:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ABK
It's pretty damn cheap, you might as well replace the whole axle, just my 2 cents.

common sense prevails. Just replace the whole thing. Its just so simple.
Old 11-08-2003, 01:02 PM

www.raxles.com was recommened by .org members when I posted a similar thread.

I took it to the dealer, they ended up putting a new CV boot and new grease, cleaned it out. Belle Tire said I needed a new halfshaft. Differing opinions.

Now, I think my bearings are going out on the front left
At low speeds, it makes a sound like a treadmill being forced to move while it's off. And the car sounds louder on the highway too, I think a combination of my crappy tires and the bearing is causiing it.
Old 11-08-2003, 01:08 PM
ivelweyz

JAY25 got autozone axles on his Turbo max and said they work good...

Old 11-08-2003, 03:45 PM

I had my passenger side axle from autozone for 2 years. no problems. Just make sure they give you the right one, once they gave me the wrong drivers side, so i got it elswehere,.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:15 PM

JAY25 got autozone axles on his Turbo max and said they work good...

thats what I got. My maxima meet will be in front of autozone tomorrow as well. You ll get 10% off if you show up and sign the roster
Old 11-08-2003, 04:20 PM
ivelweyz

hell yeah, I'm driving to georgia to save 10% on air fresheners...

Old 11-08-2003, 10:01 PM

I also vote you replace the whole thing. Cheaper in the long run due to warranties. No warranty with just a boot replacement (and looks like a pain the ****). I ran my ripped boot until the boot was completely gone, and had cakes of dry mudded grease for 6 months on the joint. It didn't click until then. $65 at pepboys (which was cheapest at the time). When it clicked, I replaced.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:03 AM

OK, got both axles at Autozone for $60 each. Wanted to replace yesterday but it was so freaken freezing outside, maybe Monday, since I am doing this first time I expect it's gonna take me 3 hours at least. How much time it usually takes for a guy who does not need a manual to do it????

Originally Posted by izzydig
I also vote you replace the whole thing. Cheaper in the long run due to warranties. No warranty with just a boot replacement (and looks like a pain the ****). I ran my ripped boot until the boot was completely gone, and had cakes of dry mudded grease for 6 months on the joint. It didn't click until then. $65 at pepboys (which was cheapest at the time). When it clicked, I replaced.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Vlad
OK, got both axles at Autozone for $60 each. Wanted to replace yesterday but it was so freaken freezing outside, maybe Monday, since I am doing this first time I expect it's gonna take me 3 hours at least. How much time it usually takes for a guy who does not need a manual to do it????
You will need a 34MM socket for center nut, a breaker bar, possibly a sledge hammer to pound on the axle if it does not separate. Some liquid wrench. a 17MM socket deep 19MM socket. A 12MM open end wrench to remove the three bolts from the passenger side axle. For a beginner 3-4 hours should be about right. Also drain some tranny fluid from the transmission or it will make a mess when you ****** the axles out. To drain it you will need a 12mm wrench.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by JAY25
You will need a 34MM socket for center nut, .

My Max is 36 mm ??
Old 11-09-2003, 07:24 PM

wow thanks for all the input guys, it isnt clicking, but ill have my mechanic check it out for me, thanks for all the tips
Old 12-07-2013, 12:07 PM

I kno its an old thread, but I went to get an oil change yesterday and saw my passenger side outer axle boot was torn completely off, its been torn for over a year, but now its not there, car makes a slight noise when turning left I believe, not too noisy tho, but there is sort of a bouncy ride at low speeds. Going to replace it prob this weekend. Is AutoZone or orileys a good place to get one?
Old 12-07-2013, 06:11 PM

If your going to replace one why not just do both but looks like thats the route your going anyway i'd have to say i agree with Kashoggio if there's no clicking when cornering and your on a budget just replace the boots and get what life is left out of them if its not broken dont fix it.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
If your going to replace one why not just do both but looks like thats the route your going anyway i'd have to say i agree with Kashoggio if there's no clicking when cornering and your on a budget just replace the boots and get what life is left out of them if its not broken dont fix it.

Pretty sure the OP has fixed the problem by now.

Other I suggest Napa axles.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton

Pretty sure the OP has fixed the problem by now.

Other I suggest Napa axles.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:57 PM

hopefully those people who said just replace the boot and grease have grown smarter by now lol. makes no sense, its a pita and if ya gotta take it out anyway why not put a brand new one in with a lifetime warranty? prefer oreillys myself because autozones stuff has been junk. yeah lifetime warranty on both companys but at least you dont have to waste your time constantly warrantying stuff from oreilly.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:06 PM

Napa Core Exchange cost about $75.

Youtube has a excellent DIY vid without messing up your alignment.

Did mine (05 Max) about a month ago @ 1 hour labor.......

GL!!!!
Old 12-07-2013, 08:26 PM

Lol ok thank you I will. Prob go with orileys but I was gonna replace it because I was afraid it might come apart with no boots on it lol
Old 12-07-2013, 08:50 PM

Anybody have any link on how to remove the joint?
Old 12-07-2013, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Les7311
Napa Core Exchange cost about $75. Youtube has a excellent DIY vid without messing up your alignment. Did mine (05 Max) about a month ago @ 1 hour labor....... GL!!!!
Napa new axles are >$100.
Just did one last week.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny9595
Anybody have any link on how to remove the joint?
Roughly:

Remove 36mm axle nut, 2 bolts from knuckle top, another 2 or three for the carrier bracket, your outer tie rod, and then just pull it out.

Remember, I said roughly.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:29 AM

what ever you do do not buy from AutoZone. I made that mistake once and had to call AAA six weeks later due to snapping tthat halfshaft.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by gruesome
what ever you do do not buy from AutoZone. I made that mistake once and had to call AAA six weeks later due to snapping tthat halfshaft.

autozone stuff is junk. I've heard from numerous people including mechanics, and first hand knowledge myself. will never buy anything but a duralast gold battery from them, those are actually pretty damn good.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by ADROX
autozone stuff is junk. I've heard from numerous people including mechanics, and first hand knowledge myself. will never buy anything but a duralast gold battery from them, those are actually pretty damn good.
Not even the battery I will purchase from them. Went to the dealer and got a battery for less than AutoZone with a 7 year pro-rated warranty..
Old 12-10-2013, 10:50 AM

My core return with purchase from Napa in Maryland was a little under $75.... maybe a State difference.............

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
Napa new axles are >$100.
Just did one last week.

Quick Reply: C-V boot ripped