4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

how 2 install stock trunk popper/opener

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 10:27 AM
Custom User Title...

how 2 install stock trunk popper/opener

bought this for really cheap:

now, does anyone know how i'd go about installing it? my gxe only has the lever. should i buy the button too? i know it's bad that i never bothered to check but i assume there is wiring for that taped up somewhere in the door and the trunk. if i can't use this, it was cheap enough and i'll just throw it back on ebay. can someone help me with install directions and what else i'd need, also, i have a hornet (dei) alarm, so how would i go about adding this to it? i know i'd need a new remote with that button on it. maybe i should just go to the place that installed my alarm and see if they can do it. suggestions would be appreciated though, thanx!
Old 11-11-2003, 03:12 PM
Custom User Title...

pmub backwards
Old 11-11-2003, 04:44 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

You dont have a button on your door?
Old 11-11-2003, 04:49 PM
Custom User Title...

nope

lever on the floor that is also gas opener. i don't have the c & c package or anything, so i think that's why.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:41 PM
Custom User Title...

i know people have put aftermarket ones in. maybe someone who has done that knows? perhaps this is just one of those projects i should leave alone. or maybe i should just try on my own and see how it goes. well i figure i'll bump it this last time just in case someone didn't see it before. thanx for any help...
Old 12-10-2003, 01:49 PM
Custom User Title...

ok update...

it has taken me forever to even look at this project cuz i've been so busy but it's a start. i opened up the trunk junk and examined the non-power popper. all the proper wiring is there along with the harness that plugs into the popper. seen here plugged in:

i then figured since the stock popping button is on the door, i'd look under there to see if the wiring is there. i believe it is...does anyone want to confirm this for me? this is under the armrest through that cup area:

i think all i would need to do is get the button, connect it and the popper and i could probably then take out the manual popping cable. anyone have suggestions or anything to say? i think this can be done fairly easily and cheap.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I installed an aftermarket trunk popper and wired it into my aftermarket alarm. It was like two years ago but I do remember that I used the factory wires to carry the signal to the trunk. If I remember right those wires can also be accesed in the drivers side kick panel. Look at the colors of the wires on the plug that goes in the popper and see if you can find the same ones in the kick panel or on that plug in the door. If you are going to use the factory button it should just be a matter of plugging it in.

If you are going to add your own button then it will probably be easiest to tap into the wires in the kick panel.

I left the factory cable opener in place, my electric opener only works with my alarm remote.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:35 PM
Custom User Title...

i'm not quite sure how i'd add my own button...any cheap and easy suggestions?

how does your how aftermarket one pop it open if you left the stock manual cable in there? i knew i should have pmed you for this jim cuz i remember your thread. thanks for any and all help as usual.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:44 PM

I just did that install last week. I had swapped out interiors and the new panel that i got had the trunk openener button on it but it never worked because there was no trunk selenoid to open the trunk. I bougth the selenoid and connected it in the trunk and I connected the button to that plug that you pointed to thats in the door panel and now everything works fine. I had to remove the cable though to put the selenoid in its place. Its very simple wiring. Its a shot of 12v's positive and 12v's negative, you just need to complete the circiut and it will work fine. I figure since you dont have the button already there, you should go back to the place where you got your alram installed and have them wire it up to your alarm system. I hooked mine up to my alarm system also. I had to change the program on the remote. I have a viper alarm which uses the second channel to work the power trunk.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:18 PM
Custom User Title...

how do you guys open it from the interior if you disconnect the stock manual cable?

thanks for the suggestions...
Old 12-11-2003, 03:40 PM

that harness inside your door is for the trunk pop button. Once you connect that locate the empty slot in your fuse panel for the trunk pop, if there is one specific for that and add a fuse.

since your car doesnt have that button, you could try and find a drivers door panel with one on it and youd be all set!

Ant
Old 12-11-2003, 03:58 PM
Custom User Title...

thanks for the fuse tip, i was gonna check there but haven't gotten to that point yet. thanks for the heads up!

cuz buying a new door panel would be so expensive i was thinking of trying to maybe custom put it some where or seeing if it maybe fits next to the dimmer switch on the dash. not really sure yet, i saw this button f/s forever ago for really cheap, not that i want it, everyone's prices are higher than before. ah well, i'll get it soon enough.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:28 PM

I think to my understanding that in order to have the trunk pop, you need to have that little aluminum box that sits inside of the trunk on the passenger side. Because, if I remember right, when I had hooked up my alarm, You will notice that the maxima has a couple BCM's(Body control modules), these devices accept the inputs from switches and other devices(alarms) digitizes these signals and then sends them over to other control modules and so on. But back to my point if you don't have that module in your trunk, then you will need to hard wire your solenoid since their wont be a connector. But if you need to find wire codes for the car, go to google and do a search for I think its "dr install, street dreams, i think the 12-volt.com, those 3 sites will definetely help.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:05 PM

My stock manual cable is still there. The aftermarket unit I have has a little loop that goes around the lever itself.

One of the wires is probably a ground and the other probably activates the popper when you give it 12V. Or it could be one is always hot and the popper is activated by grounding out the other one.

Test the wires to see if they are live or a ground. See if connecting the terminals in the door with a small jumper activates the popper, you probably should use something with a fuse in it to be safe. If just connecting the two wires activates the popper than adding any button should be easy. Just get a momentary switch and connect one wire to each terminal.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:33 AM

Can someone post a pic or tell me where the stock trunk popper button is? I'm doing this to my car, and I just wanted to find out where the switch goes on the door.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:41 AM
Custom User Title...

see my second picture, that's where the harness is, you need the button still.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:46 AM

I see the picture, and I have the stock button. Is your picture looking up under the armrest?
Old 12-15-2003, 10:48 AM
Custom User Title...

Originally Posted by jamier2
Can someone post a pic or tell me where the stock trunk popper button is? I'm doing this to my car, and I just wanted to find out where the switch goes on the door.

btw, you have an SE...i thought they all came with power trunks? maybe i was wrong?!?
Old 12-15-2003, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jepht20
btw, you have an SE...i thought they all came with power trunks? maybe i was wrong?!?
Mine doesn't have it. I think it's part of a "Cold and Convenience" package (name might be wrong)
Old 12-15-2003, 01:51 PM

Nor does my SE.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jepht20
Nope, it came with the Security and Convienence package. I also have a base SE. No power trunk, variable intermitent wipers, factory alarm or power seat . But I do get the cool rims and gauges
Old 12-15-2003, 04:44 PM

what happens

in a stocksituation
(where you have the factory electric opener) if the electrics fail?
How open the trunk???
In a stock set up is there a fail safe lever somewhere?
Old 12-17-2003, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by edwardh1
in a stocksituation
(where you have the factory electric opener) if the electrics fail?
How open the trunk???
In a stock set up is there a fail safe lever somewhere?
Ummm... How about using the key?
Old 12-17-2003, 10:42 AM

I did the remote trunk opener

I have a 95 SE that come base, i.e., without a remote trunk opener. I added an Excalibur alarm system and here's what I did with the remote trunk opening. I bought a Nissan maxima trunk opening solenoid and also bought the cable control to open ONLY the gas filler cap. I removed the trunk/gas door cable system and put in the new one. For the trunk opener switch I installed a switch in the dash (center of one of the two spare spots to the right of the steering wheel - one for the switch and one was used for the security system flashing light). I can't tell you now about all the alarm wiring, etc., but it all does work. My remote has a button I use to open the trunk, or I can open it with the switch on the dash or just use the key. I'm sure I used the feed wire and connector already there to connect up the trunk solenoid. I also did a number of other improvements, like adding the variable intermittent wiper stalk, a windshield washer bottle with low fluid switch, added heated exterior mirrors, put in tweeters (MB Quart system) in the little black triangular panels in the front lower corners of the front door windows, put in the wood grain dash and drawer, added a nissan in-dash cd player. It's a lot nicer with all this stuff, especially the heated mirrors and variable intermittent wipers.

Tom
Old 12-17-2003, 12:03 PM
Custom User Title...

so you put it next to the dimmer switch? that's what i was thinking if the button fits there...