4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

look what is making a come back.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 11:36 AM

look what is making a come back.......

The Rear Strut Bar!

Oh Yeah

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/redlinezone/nm9599rubl.html

coming soon.

nice to see they are making a come back. I have been searching for months, and this is the first i have found.

anyone know another place that sells the rear sturt bars??
Old 11-13-2003, 11:38 AM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Originally Posted by LastBoyScout
The Rear Strut Bar!

Oh Yeah

coming soon.

nice to see they are making a come back. I have been searching for months, and this is the first i have found.

OBX.. i think they make the rear for 2K+ maximas
Old 11-13-2003, 11:44 AM
ivelweyz

The Rear Strut Bar!

Oh Yeah

coming soon.

I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not. They don't really do jack, that's why people stopped buying them and why they dtopped making them...

Old 11-13-2003, 12:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What about Custommaxima's rear sway bar? Would that make a difference? I was thinking about getting them...
Old 11-13-2003, 12:53 PM
ivelweyz

Sway bars make a big difference, rear strut bars don't...

Old 11-13-2003, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by ivelweyz
I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not. They don't really do jack, that's why people stopped buying them and why they dtopped making them...
???? dont do jack ????

i have driven a 96 max that had a rear strut bar, and i could tell a difference.

when the car's body or frame flexes, then that is bad. anytime you can beef it up it helps.

i coud tell a difference on curves with the rear. He did not yet have a front strut bar. He then had his camber dialed further negative and then you could really tell a difference.

Most people forget that camber is one of the cheapest ways to affect handling. and since your struts are an important part of your wheels, then strut bars, front and/or rear do help.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:06 PM
ivelweyz

Whatever dude. If they did anything more people would have them. There are maybe 20 on the ORG that have them. Wasting money on them is pointless since you might as well get a rear sway bar. Also how can they make a comeback if they were never even popular. Get a sway bar and don't waste your money on the rear strut bar...

Old 11-13-2003, 01:14 PM

LOL.......

different things can affect different setups. I dont plan on lowering my max since there are so many pot holes, and construction areas out where i am. So me doing camber changes will make having the front and rear strut bars worth the money. And yes, a rear sway bar would help to.

proper application. That is all i am saying.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:33 PM

???? dont do jack ????

i have driven a 96 max that had a rear strut bar, and i could tell a difference.

when the car's body or frame flexes, then that is bad. anytime you can beef it up it helps.

i coud tell a difference on curves with the rear. He did not yet have a front strut bar. He then had his camber dialed further negative and then you could really tell a difference.

Most people forget that camber is one of the cheapest ways to affect handling. and since your struts are an important part of your wheels, then strut bars, front and/or rear do help.

Cars just don't flex that much. Think about it, if your car really flexed enough to dramatically affect the position of the strut towers, imagine how screwed up your car would be in a very short amout of time.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:35 PM

true. but when you set your camber further negative than the stock specs, you will experience more flexing.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:41 PM
ivelweyz

I just checked the GAP on my stock springs and it's 4" all around. I don't hink I can drive this SUV anymore. I wanted some eibachs, 1.5" drop, but that seems to be too little...

Old 11-13-2003, 01:49 PM

???? dont do jack ????

I'm pretty sure it was just your imagination.

In the front of a maxima due to the McPherson struts, a front strut bar helps a lot because when the car corners, the whole suspension is attached directly to each side of the car and strut towers causing the towers to lean and introduce positive camber.

But in the rear with the multi link beam, the only points that recieve any stress are the multilink scissor crossmembers and center mount point. The strut towers only flex when the suspension takes up-down impacts (which won't really matter much because of all the rubber in your suspension is bending and flexing up-down anyway). Cornering hard can only cause your rear beam to shift left to right and the only way to fix that is to replace the rubber bushing in your center mount with a polyurathane one. The camber will NOT change, and can only possibly change if your whole rear beam flexes and introduces positive camber.

Technically you'd be better off applying a stiffening brace to your rear beam, than a rear strut tower brace.

But yes, if the maxima had an independant rear suspension (aka 3rd gen) yes a rear strut tower brace would definately help prevent tower flex and positive camber.

If you want to know more about the maxima suspension design:
http://maxmods.dyndns.org/?SuspensionTech

Also, how the hell did you adjust the camber on the rear beam? It's a rigid beam, camber cannot be adjusted. It can only be adjusted on the front.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:59 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by drewm
I'm pretty sure it was just your imagination.

In the front of a maxima due to the McPherson struts, a front strut bar helps a lot because when the car corners, the whole suspension is attached directly to each side of the car and strut towers causing the towers to lean and introduce positive camber.

But in the rear with the multi link beam, the only points that recieve any stress are the multilink scissor crossmembers and center mount point. The strut towers only flex when the suspension takes up-down impacts (which won't really matter much because of all the rubber in your suspension is bending and flexing up-down anyway). Cornering hard can only cause your rear beam to shift left to right and the only way to fix that is to replace the rubber bushing in your center mount with a polyurathane one. The camber will NOT change, and can only possibly change if your whole rear beam flexes and introduces positive camber.

Technically you'd be better off applying a stiffening brace to your rear beam, than a rear strut tower brace.

But yes, if the maxima had an independant rear suspension (aka 3rd gen) yes a rear strut tower brace would definately help prevent tower flex and positive camber.

If you want to know more about the maxima suspension design:
http://maxmods.dyndns.org/?SuspensionTech

Also, how the hell did you adjust the camber on the rear beam? It's a rigid beam, camber cannot be adjusted. It can only be adjusted on the front.

you just summed up everything i was gonna say
Old 11-13-2003, 02:12 PM

werd to that. Forgot about our rear setup.

and i didnt say that i had changed the camber yet. I just know my after having changed the front camber and having just the rear strut bar on, i could feel a difference in my friends Maxima. When i drove his before he had the rear bar, it seemed to rool a little more. He put in the rear strut bar (free gift.....why not) it helped. He got a front strut bar. that really helped.

I want to beef up the suspention setup. front and rear strut bars, rear sway bar. i might even stiffen the rear beam

The whole reason is that i constantly make trips up to the Gatlinburg / Smokey Mountains here in TN and I take very windy curvy routes. try taking a hair pin at about 50 - 60 MPH and see if you dont feel some flex in your rear.

anyway, back to the topic.....they are making a comeback of sorts.