4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ATTN: Cheston & Anyone with dons VB Mod..

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2001, 05:35 PM

I'm growing interested in Don's VB mod since the likeleyhood of me finding a 5-speed is growing slim. How much should this take off the 1/4?? And cheston are you still selling your friends or did you sell it already? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2001, 07:07 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

sale is pending on the VB.
current bid is $350 .
if you want it more. then email me with your "bid" eheh.

this includes free Hayden oil cooler..

--Cheston
Old 02-22-2001, 07:17 PM

i might be able to go higher.. BUT..

whats the condition of the parts? and how many miles? Also.. I know its good for auto's but how much will it effect 1/4?
Old 02-23-2001, 01:50 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

as for quarter mile times... don said something like 0.1-0.2 seconds off the time.. but hes running nose. so i think that might make a huge difference.

Old 02-23-2001, 02:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

nose? please explain. or do you simply mean nos
Old 02-23-2001, 07:28 AM

hmm

i think he meant NOS, imnot sure though. I just wanna make sure if i gotta spend $400, then install this that its infact going to be affectvive.
Old 02-23-2001, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by Nine7Max
I'm growing interested in Don's VB mod since the likeleyhood of me finding a 5-speed is growing slim. How much should this take off the 1/4?? And cheston are you still selling your friends or did you sell it already? Thanks in advance.
I have Don's VB and the Haydens 403 tranny cooler. Best investment i ever bought for my car. Makes the trans last longer and makes you a bit faster. I'll find out how much of a diff the vb makes as soon as englishtown opens back up. I'm tolf it can take up to 6/10 off your q-mile but it probably won't. I'm guessing aorund 2/10 or so. If you are mechanically inclined, you can do it yourself. I did mine myself. You will love it when your max chirps 1-2 shifts. With the VB, you may be as fast as the 5 speeds but remember... they have 1 more gear then us and they have a stronger power band.
Old 02-23-2001, 09:26 AM

I'm getting Don's VB upgrade too. So, does this mean when I get the new VB into my car, I don't have to manually shift anymore? Since I assume leaving it in D with the VB upgrade, my car will shift hard in every gear.
Old 02-23-2001, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by Synki
... With the VB, you may be as fast as the 5 speeds but remember... they have 1 more gear then us and they have a stronger power band.
5-speed cars and automatics have the same engine. How is it possible for 5-speed cars to have a stronger power band?
Old 02-23-2001, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
... With the VB, you may be as fast as the 5 speeds but remember... they have 1 more gear then us and they have a stronger power band.
5-speed cars and automatics have the same engine. How is it possible for 5-speed cars to have a stronger power band?
Gearing? By the time your into or out of your powerband, they will be in theirs. Just my thought on it. Same motor, yes, more gears and closer gears = more power to wheels. Yes? No? The autos do drop in power. Dyno them. Stock stick vs stock auto.
Old 02-23-2001, 05:02 PM

Gearing? By the time your into or out of your powerband, they will be in theirs. Just my thought on it. Same motor, yes, more gears and closer gears = more power to wheels. Yes? No? The autos do drop in power. Dyno them. Stock stick vs stock auto.
[/I]
I believe "powerband" is a descriptive term for an engine and has nothing to do with the transmission.

The on-line automotive glossary
http://www.cartrackers.com/auto_glossary/pq/#power-band
offers this definition:

<font color='blue'>Power Band
The subjectively defined rpm range over which an engine delivers a substantial fraction of its peak power. The power band usually extends from slightly below the engine's torque peak to slightly above its power peak. </font>

http://www.dakineracing.com/racing/r...lossary.html#p
offers this definition:<font color='blue'>
POWER BAND: An rpm range where the majority of the engine's peak power is achieved. Usually starts at engine's peak torque and ends near the engine's peak power.</font>

Now you may argue that one transmission or another makes good use of an engine's powerband. That doesn't change the fact that powerband is an engine term.
Old 02-23-2001, 08:50 PM

can maxima's wheels spin with the vb?

John
Old 02-23-2001, 10:34 PM

hmm

Everyones wheel's "spin"
Old 02-23-2001, 11:13 PM

spin without getting traction he means.
Old 02-24-2001, 07:23 AM

I believe "powerband" is a descriptive term for an engine and has nothing to do with the transmission.

http://www.cartrackers.com/auto_glossary/pq/#power-band
offers this definition:

<font color='blue'>Power Band
The subjectively defined rpm range over which an engine delivers a substantial fraction of its peak power. The power band usually extends from slightly below the engine's torque peak to slightly above its power peak. </font>

http://www.dakineracing.com/racing/r...lossary.html#p
offers this definition:<font color='blue'>
POWER BAND: An rpm range where the majority of the engine's peak power is achieved. Usually starts at engine's peak torque and ends near the engine's peak power.</font>

Now you may argue that one transmission or another makes good use of an engine's powerband. That doesn't change the fact that powerband is an engine term. [/I]
How did i know you were going to use the "definition" on this one. Ok, so maybe the word "powerband" was wrong. Maybe i should say power to the wheels then?
To me, there is a diff in auto vs stick. Stick has always made more power... either due to gearing or whatever of the fact. Just add my 2 cents.
Old 02-24-2001, 07:41 AM

Definitions are good

How did i know you were going to use the "definition" on this one. Ok, so maybe the word "powerband" was wrong. Maybe i should say power to the wheels then?
To me, there is a diff in auto vs stick. Stick has always made more power... either due to gearing or whatever of the fact. Just add my 2 cents. [/I]
I rely on published definitions so we don't get into silly disputes about "my definition" versus "your definition".

Stick doesn't "make" more power. The engine makes power. The transmission gets it to the drive wheels. The tires get it to the road.

Automatic Maximas are slightly slower than 5-speed Maximas. The reasons are
- the automatic cars weigh more
- there is some power loss through the torque converter
- the final drive ratios are not the same

A stick-shift transmission also has losses, but they are less than the losses in an automatic.

The Continuously Variable transmission which Nissan already sells in some countries is claimed to have better efficiency than either automatics or 5-speeds.
Old 02-24-2001, 01:05 PM

Re: Definitions are good

To me, there is a diff in auto vs stick. Stick has always made more power... either due to gearing or whatever of the fact. Just add my 2 cents.
I rely on published definitions so we don't get into silly disputes about "my definition" versus "your definition".

Stick doesn't "make" more power. The engine makes power. The transmission gets it to the drive wheels. The tires get it to the road.

Automatic Maximas are slightly slower than 5-speed Maximas. The reasons are
- the automatic cars weigh more
- there is some power loss through the torque converter
- the final drive ratios are not the same

A stick-shift transmission also has losses, but they are less than the losses in an automatic.

The Continuously Variable transmission which Nissan already sells in some countries is claimed to have better efficiency than either automatics or 5-speeds. [/I]
Yes, we don't go into our diff opinions/definitions. I'm sure we both do understand we have different points of view. All i wanted to say was the stick has been known to be faster then auto. Yes i agree w/ diff gearing.

I dont know where this is going but if you wish to continue you can. There is no reason any of us should be mad or flame one another. After all, we are here to help correct?
Old 02-24-2001, 01:46 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

the VB is still available...
Old 02-24-2001, 02:04 PM

Flaming

I dont know where this is going but if you wish to continue you can. There is no reason any of us should be mad or flame one another. After all, we are here to help correct?
[/I]
Please don't think that I was flaming you. That is not my style.

This forum is a voluntary information exchange. Yes, we are here to help each other. The medium of information exchange is the written word, and that's why published standard definitions are so important.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less." -- Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll