4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

EGR system question ? How much to replace ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 03:40 PM
Old Maxima Legend

EGR system question ? How much to replace ?

Hey, i have had some mild pinging at mild acceleration. Im also getting the code for egr hi/low flow. Im planning on putting the car in the shop next week ane let them check this egr thing out.

Anyone know what they will have to do or replace ? Just trying to figure out how much money this could cost and what goes into replacing your egr system. (i say system for lack of a better word)

Search is down but I read about egr on the internet. Several sites said that when the egr system fails it can cause the engine to ping.

Which leads me to another question. How bad is this to the engine ? Should I park the car ? I drove the car all day today and never heard the first ping (which is sounding like a slight metal tapping noise or something at mild acceleration in second)

Anyways, wanted to ask. Just something I have noticed over the past few weeks and needed some advice on how mild or important pinging is .

The Max is running just as strong as ever.

Old 11-21-2003, 09:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
Hey, i have had some mild pinging at mild acceleration. Im also getting the code for egr hi/low flow. Im planning on putting the car in the shop next week ane let them check this egr thing out.

Anyone know what they will have to do or replace ? Just trying to figure out how much money this could cost and what goes into replacing your egr system. (i say system for lack of a better word)

Search is down but I read about egr on the internet. Several sites said that when the egr system fails it can cause the engine to ping.

Which leads me to another question. How bad is this to the engine ? Should I park the car ? I drove the car all day today and never heard the first ping (which is sounding like a slight metal tapping noise or something at mild acceleration in second)

Anyways, wanted to ask. Just something I have noticed over the past few weeks and needed some advice on how mild or important pinging is .

The Max is running just as strong as ever.

Mine pings under hard acceleration. Always has. Does really bad if I put 87 in it. But with 93 its very little pinging. The ecu might have something to do with it. When I did my VI install the egr on the back of it (i believe thats what it is) was almost completely clogged up. I got a flathead and cleaned it up.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:32 PM

man do it your self...is a peace of cake, just buy a haynes manual and thats it. The dealer will charge you like 200 for labor plus parts. Sometimes is better remove, clean all the parts and install again.