4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

PICS!! Alternator Replacement Needed??

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 11:05 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

PICS!! Alternator Replacement Needed??

So my Car was at nissan for about 3 weeks. they were trying to figure out why my IGN_SW fuse kept on blowing, Well they found nothing untill me and my dad went there we were looking at the car and the wiring harness, the mechanic told me to turn on the car (he was standing in front looking at the engine) so i turn the key to turn it on the mechanic sees a huge spark (he said) ...so he tells me to take the key out of the ignition, i do and he tells me to put it back in and try to start the car and he finds where the spark comes from it was the main ground bolt came loose and everytime i was trying to turn on the car it was consistantly sparking ( i have pics of what ground it was ) so we replaced the IGN_SW Fuse and it hasnt blown ... and we re-tigtened the bolt.. it drove good and he hooked up a consult to it and it said everything was ok... when i was on my way home i think my transmission missed a shift becasue i was driving and all the sudden my trans went cluck ( like it slammed into a gear) and trhe OD light blinked twice and everything returned to normal.. but the real problem is i think my alternator is gone b/c when the car is on it reads at 13.0-13.5 V but immediatly after the car is off the battery volatge is at 9.5-10.1 and i got a new optima battery last night .. so this is what happens with the car on ACC the clock is Dim and so is the door lights and the radio cuts out sometimes.. but when i turn on my headlights on ACC everything shuts off inside the car and all power goes to the headslights ..and when the headlights are off all power is somewhat restored inside... When the Car is at the ON position power is lost even quicker... so my question do you guys think this is an alternator problem?

Sorry for being so long

Thanks
-Anthony

Website for Pics

http://www.geocities.com/maximavq30/Battery.html
Old 11-29-2003, 02:38 PM

Bump........
Old 11-29-2003, 03:26 PM

pics arent working
Old 11-29-2003, 06:12 PM

Yes, it's your alternator.

A good alternator puts out 13.5v-14.0v when the throttle is advanced and held at 2,000rpm. If yours is dipping below this, there's your answer.

I got a lifetime warranty alternator from Autozone for around $149. It's been working great for almost 6 mos.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:36 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You alternator is fine. You state your battery reads 13 - 13.5 volts when the car is running, that means your alternator is charging.

You describe a power loss inside the cabin:
with the car on ACC the clock is Dim and so is the door lights and the radio cuts out sometimes.. but when i turn on my headlights on ACC everything shuts off inside the car and all power goes to the headslights ..and when the headlights are off all power is somewhat restored inside...
That sounds like you have a wiring issue or a bad ground or faulty connection someplace.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
You alternator is fine. You state your battery reads 13 - 13.5 volts when the car is running, that means your alternator is charging.

You describe a power loss inside the cabin:

That sounds like you have a wiring issue or a bad ground or faulty connection someplace.
13v output isn't sufficient to maintain a proper charge on a 12v system in the Maxima. The alternator can be producing voltage above 12v, but insufficient voltage, at that.

If the alternator's output voltage were sufficient to replenish the battery, the battery wouldn't be reading 10v after the car has been running and is turned off. (Unless the new Optima he mentioned didn't arrive with a full charge - another possibility).

Before I replaced my alternator, the old one was putting out 13-13.2 and I had the same symptoms he described. It's not likely that he's got wiring issues with ALL the circuits he described as malfunctioning - and he's already stated that the main ground bolt has been secured properly. The alternator seems more likely here, given the static battery voltage level of 10v-11v and the alternator output of <13.5v.

But hey, don't take anyone's word here - go get the alternator bench-tested at a local auto parts place & let us know how it checks out.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by KWheelzSB
13v output isn't sufficient to maintain a proper charge on a 12v system in the Maxima. The alternator can be producing voltage above 12v, but insufficient voltage, at that.

If the alternator's output voltage were sufficient to replenish the battery, the battery wouldn't be reading 10v after the car has been running and is turned off. (Unless the new Optima he mentioned didn't arrive with a full charge - another possibility).

Before I replaced my alternator, the old one was putting out 13-13.2 and I had the same symptoms he described. It's not likely that he's got wiring issues with ALL the circuits he described as malfunctioning - and he's already stated that the main ground bolt has been secured properly. The alternator seems more likely here, given the static battery voltage level of 10v-11v and the alternator output of <13.5v.

But hey, don't take anyone's word here - go get the alternator bench-tested at a local auto parts place & let us know how it checks out.

Thanks I Appriciate everyones help .. im going to remove my alternator tomarrow and take it to autozone .. ill keep you guys updated

-Anthony
Old 11-30-2003, 06:58 AM
jmax

The other thing about the alt is that if it is not chargeing the battery light will be on. Was the battery charged when you bought it? Many are not. It could also be an old Optima. Also there may be other wireing issues under the hood, corrosion, bad grounds, loose connections, etc.

Old 11-30-2003, 09:34 AM

Sounds like a bad battery to me. Alt is supposed to show 14-14.5 with a battery that can hold that charge. If the battery is starting at less than 12 then the voltage from the alt. will show less than 14-14.5. Since you're having problems with the car off out of headlights, interior lights, etc. the problem is more than likely at the battery or the battery itself. Check the voltage at the battery with the car off and see what you get. Is your Optima a blue top, yellow top, or red top?
Old 11-30-2003, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by foetray
Sounds like a bad battery to me. Alt is supposed to show 14-14.5 with a battery that can hold that charge. If the battery is starting at less than 12 then the voltage from the alt. will show less than 14-14.5. Since you're having problems with the car off out of headlights, interior lights, etc. the problem is more than likely at the battery or the battery itself. Check the voltage at the battery with the car off and see what you get. Is your Optima a blue top, yellow top, or red top?
Yes, you may be right - but I think it's important to avoid confusing a symptom with the source of the problem. We just don't know right now whether it's the battery or the alternator based on what we have to go on.

He can bench test the alternator and/or load-test the battery, but we can't know the source of the actual problem until these checks are done.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:27 PM

I agree with foetray. Your battery should be reading about 12.7 volts when the engine is not running and when the battery voltage has stabilized.

Some Auto Zones' can check your electrical system with everything still in the car. You may want to try that first.

Gears
Old 11-30-2003, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Gears & Crosses
I agree with foetray. Your battery should be reading about 12.7 volts when the engine is not running and when the battery voltage has stabilized.

Some Auto Zones' can check your electrical system with everything still in the car. You may want to try that first.

Gears
Well This Morning i decided to replace the alternator but never got done... part of i guess the " block " broke off the engine when i was trying to tighten the upper alternator bolt.... so finally i just decided to give up on the car ..im not parting it out but donating it as a tax write off and going out and buying a 2k2 or 2k3 Maxima.. Since i got the car back in FEB.02 its been nothing but problems.. the first thing that went out was the a/c compressor about 3 months after i bought the car...it seems like i spent more money on the car than its worth but some of the stuff i kept from he car are

Complete Set of Diamond Clear Bumper Lights
Black Dash Trim Peice (That Goes Around The Gauges)
Stock Intake Box/ Snokel
Front Strut Bar
12 inch Audiobahn Subwoofer W/ Box
420 Watt Amp
CAT- Test Pipe
Set Of 4 16in Konig Divas Rims With Tires (Tires only have 45% Left)

Depends What Time they get it monday i might try to take my budget Y-pipe Off

So I Guess Im Selling this stuff so make offers if anyone needs this stuff

-Anthony
Old 11-30-2003, 06:15 PM

all stuff for sale in 4th gen for sale forums!!

-Anthony
Old 12-01-2003, 07:53 AM
jmax

You do know that the 97's had a factory recall on the alt, right? Why pay for something that you can have done for free?