4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Well, I think I'm out $2500

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 04:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well, I think I'm out $2500

I bought a set of 10 Cefiro Headlights mostly for the guys from NWMaxima.com and had them shipped to the US from Taiwan.

Now the Customs guy is telling me they are not allowed entry into the US because they are not DOT approved.

This sucks. I sent 97MaxGurl an E-Mail asking her how it's done, and am waiting for a reply.

This is the only shipment I had planned on doing, and now I'm probably out a bunch of money - enough to easily have upgraded me to a Turbo.

Anyone have any knowledge of Customs Law or anything I can do about this?

IanS
Old 12-01-2003, 04:36 PM

wow dude, that sucks but i'm sure there is a way to get 'em shipped here....so dont sweat it
Old 12-01-2003, 04:38 PM
I'm needing a caw

Hmm odd. There are alot of parts that are sent here that aren't "approved". I hope it pans out. Can you return them for a refund?
Old 12-01-2003, 04:50 PM

Maybe if they're labeled "for off road use only"
Old 12-01-2003, 05:13 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

i do not see why that is problem. they ship illegal bulbs here that are found in stores. this should not be happeneing. and you are entitled to your money back. If you do not recive product then he has voided the contract.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by iansw
I bought a set of 10 Cefiro Headlights mostly for the guys from NWMaxima.com and had them shipped to the US from Taiwan.

Now the Customs guy is telling me they are not allowed entry into the US because they are not DOT approved.

This sucks. I sent 97MaxGurl an E-Mail asking her how it's done, and am waiting for a reply.

This is the only shipment I had planned on doing, and now I'm probably out a bunch of money - enough to easily have upgraded me to a Turbo.

Anyone have any knowledge of Customs Law or anything I can do about this?

IanS
imho the problem is the qty of 10--that's obviously not for personal "consumption." There is a problem with counterfeit parts and the Customs has seized and destroyed them. From what you say, the problem does not appear to be duty-related. We can only speculate because we don't know the whole story. I'd suggest you simply call the DOT and find out from the horse's mouth what the deal with importing non-conforming parts. Good luck.

DOT’s vehicle hotline at 1-800-424-9393
Old 12-01-2003, 06:42 PM
Conecarver

I'm just thinking out loud and no nothing of import/export law but could you apply for an exemption or something? Many race tires are non DOT spec. Kinda like the CARB exemption? Put a disclaimer on that they won't be used on public roads and only for "show" cars?
Old 12-01-2003, 08:32 PM

ship 'em to Canada or Mexico and go pick 'em up
Old 12-01-2003, 10:11 PM

Yes, you are only aboot 2 hours from Canada at most eh?
Old 12-01-2003, 10:25 PM

The Customs officer specifically showed me the document where it tells him procedurally how to check the lights for the "DOT Approved" stamp. And it specifically says if it's not there, not to allow entry.

It's not about counterfeit parts, because in that same doc it says to check for the label from the manufacturer - these are clearly labeled "Nissan" on them.

I'm considering the whole drive up to Canada - but I'm not even sure I'm allowed to re-route it at this point. They told me today they would be put into "quaranteen" for 30 days then destroyed if nothing else comes of it.

AS for the amount of 10 - others import these lights in larger than 10 quantity and don't have problems.

Maybe I just caught the wrong agent on the wrong day - unfortunately he red-flagged the paperwork so if I go back when he's not there, I'm still screwed.

According to the supplier, as soon as they leave the dock in Taiwan they are mine. If the plane crashes on the way here it is my responsibility to get refunded by the Airline, for instance, with possibly a letter from them.

I'm done importing anything - this is f*cked up.....

I'll be calling a Customs Broker in the morning and trying to see if they can help me. The Customs Officer told me it wasn't even worth a try however - but he's a desk jockie - what does he know.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:37 PM

it looks like ur best choice is canada. Maybe you could also try to get a special permit for these lights; from where, i dont know...
Old 12-01-2003, 10:43 PM

I smell an Axel Foley plan to get you in that warehouse and "seize" your goods......
Old 12-02-2003, 04:13 AM

The Customs officer specifically showed me the document where it tells him procedurally how to check the lights for the "DOT Approved" stamp. And it specifically says if it's not there, not to allow entry.

It's not about counterfeit parts, because in that same doc it says to check for the label from the manufacturer - these are clearly labeled "Nissan" on them.

I'm considering the whole drive up to Canada - but I'm not even sure I'm allowed to re-route it at this point. They told me today they would be put into "quaranteen" for 30 days then destroyed if nothing else comes of it.

AS for the amount of 10 - others import these lights in larger than 10 quantity and don't have problems.

Maybe I just caught the wrong agent on the wrong day - unfortunately he red-flagged the paperwork so if I go back when he's not there, I'm still screwed.

According to the supplier, as soon as they leave the dock in Taiwan they are mine. If the plane crashes on the way here it is my responsibility to get refunded by the Airline, for instance, with possibly a letter from them.

I'm done importing anything - this is f*cked up.....

I'll be calling a Customs Broker in the morning and trying to see if they can help me. The Customs Officer told me it wasn't even worth a try however - but he's a desk jockie - what does he know.
Yeah, what that company told you is the ol' FOB (free on board) Taiwan. That indicates to which point they are responsible, and at which point you are. It's like a DMARC in the telecom world. For example, you plug into the box outside your house and there is dial-tone, Verizon is not responsible for inside wiring or the fact that your phones are dead.

Sounds to me like you didn't know how this thing works, and that the supplier does not care either. They got the money, the goods can't go to the USA, FOB Taiwan. I'm sure if they were an up-and-up co. they would have told you of any potential difficulty of the goods reaching you, and how to handle that.

I still believe that the qty 10 has caused this problem to arise. I highly doubt that a single light would be held. Again, we don't know the full story. I don't see what Canada has to do with anything, do you mean you're willing to drive them over the border without declaring them to the Customs agent? I would think that stuff is confiscated at this point. If you paid by CC, I'd contact them, explain the situation regardless of FOB, and try to get a credit. You have to at least believe in a sense of fair play here in the USA. Sometimes we do get burned, but sometimes we also don't let unscrupulous offshore cos. take advantage of us either.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:19 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

time to bust a rush hour two and sleep with a sexy custom's officer
Old 12-02-2003, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
Yeah, what that company told you is the ol' FOB (free on board) Taiwan. That indicates to which point they are responsible, and at which point you are. It's like a DMARC in the telecom world. For example, you plug into the box outside your house and there is dial-tone, Verizon is not responsible for inside wiring or the fact that your phones are dead.

Sounds to me like you didn't know how this thing works, and that the supplier does not care either. They got the money, the goods can't go to the USA, FOB Taiwan. I'm sure if they were an up-and-up co. they would have told you of any potential difficulty of the goods reaching you, and how to handle that.

I still believe that the qty 10 has caused this problem to arise. I highly doubt that a single light would be held. Again, we don't know the full story. I don't see what Canada has to do with anything, do you mean you're willing to drive them over the border without declaring them to the Customs agent? I would think that stuff is confiscated at this point. If you paid by CC, I'd contact them, explain the situation regardless of FOB, and try to get a credit. You have to at least believe in a sense of fair play here in the USA. Sometimes we do get burned, but sometimes we also don't let unscrupulous offshore cos. take advantage of us either.
Unfortunately I used cash.

The company I'm dealing with is not only a Nissan Dealer, but is a factory for Nissan in Taiwan.

I would think they knew better also. But the language barrier probably caused some problems there. I tried talking to them on the phone about Customs and such months ago, and they didn't understand a word I was saying.

However - I'm a little more upbeat today - I think a Customs Broker may be able to help me get it going - and it may be a simple matter of filling out a HS-7 Form from the DOT that simply states that I plan to distribute them for off-road use only.

And if not, well, then I made a mistake and it's my bad. I wouldn't have done it if the income I spent wasn't at least somewat expendable - i knew I was taking a risk. Unfortunately, I didn't investigate ahead of time and after talking to others who have imported these, it seems I just got an overly **** Customs Agent.

So I'll just have to go through some red tape and see where I end up. Maybe I'll get lucky.

IanS
Old 12-02-2003, 10:09 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

If you need to reroute them I wonder if you can send the shipment to me? However, I don't know if that would pose any problems with Canada Customs, even duty/import charges.

I remember my mom receiving some clothes my aunt in San Fran sent up. They still had their tags on them and customs here questioned whether my mom was going to resell them.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by BlackCat
If you need to reroute them I wonder if you can send the shipment to me? However, I don't know if that would pose any problems with Canada Customs, even duty/import charges.

I remember my mom receiving some clothes my aunt in San Fran sent up. They still had their tags on them and customs here questioned whether my mom was going to resell them.

Well, BlackCat - I would certainly give you 1 set of lights at cost for getting them and then driving down here with them. if they ask what they're for just say "My local car club - we all pooled our money together and decided to get them for show purposes only."

Then when you get down here we can get you to the Dyno, which you need to do anyway.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:58 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Well, BlackCat - I would certainly give you 1 set of lights at cost for getting them and then driving down here with them. if they ask what they're for just say "My local car club - we all pooled our money together and decided to get them for show purposes only."

Then when you get down here we can get you to the Dyno, which you need to do anyway.
Pm me if you decide you're going to send them up my way!

If I use that line better provide me with a list of who is supposed to get them!
Old 12-02-2003, 11:05 AM

Well, let's see what the Customs Broker can pull off, then if it's even possible to re-route them then.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:07 AM
DoGGy

and how exaclty are you out 2500?

plz dont tell me you spend that much for 2 pieces of headlights!

Old 12-02-2003, 11:12 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally Posted by DoGGy

jeez dude, did you even try to read the his first post?
Old 12-02-2003, 11:13 AM
I'm needing a caw

I bought a set of 10 Cefiro Headlights mostly for the guys from NWMaxima.com and had them shipped to the US from Taiwan

Damn man RIF(reading is fundamental) http://www.rif.org/

Originally Posted by DoGGy

Old 12-02-2003, 11:56 AM
DoGGy

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
[/b]

Damn man RIF(reading is fundamental) http://www.rif.org/

i read so fast, i tend to skip words

Old 12-04-2003, 09:55 PM

However - I'm a little more upbeat today - I think a Customs Broker may be able to help me get it going - and it may be a simple matter of filling out a HS-7 Form from the DOT that simply states that I plan to distribute them for off-road use only.

IanS
Customs brokers can do wonders. It helps to know someone doing this type of work. I hope you quickly offload 'em and get ur money back. Good luck!
Old 12-04-2003, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by izzydig
Customs brokers can do wonders. It helps to know someone doing this type of work. I hope you quickly offload 'em and get ur money back. Good luck!
Well, I have gotten "prelimanary approval" from Customs.

The broker tells me there is 3 or 4 more steps to take - so if all goes well (and it's sounding like it is) then I'll pick them up tomorrow sometime.

IanS
Old 12-04-2003, 10:51 PM

that sucks, those cefiros are off the hook. is there any way you think that you can get in trouble once you get them put on your car?
i keep getting pulled over for my altezzas because they are "illegal" so i was just wonderin
Old 12-04-2003, 11:37 PM

^ Jeeze.. I honestly thought cops just didn't bother anymore with altezza's... besides, _some_ of them are actually legal.

Hopefully everything will work out, seems like you got things goin in the right direction. gl.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:08 AM

Good Luck!
Old 12-05-2003, 08:23 AM

damn politics
Old 12-05-2003, 09:24 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Any further news on this, Ian?
Old 12-05-2003, 05:43 PM

should of told them it wasn't going on a car but a giant robot and DOT didn't have jurisdiction and promptly file a small claims suit against US customs and the officer that held it.

If that wouldn't work get a pit bull.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by NookieMax
damn politics
Care to elaborate on that comment? My buddy at Squad 1 in Crooklyns would love a debate on this topic.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:58 PM
GoldenGlory

Well, I have gotten "prelimanary approval" from Customs.

The broker tells me there is 3 or 4 more steps to take - so if all goes well (and it's sounding like it is) then I'll pick them up tomorrow sometime.

IanS
good luck man!

Old 12-05-2003, 10:03 PM

Didn't work out.

This morning i got a call from the Broker saying everything was good and to go pick them up from Customs.

Well, I get there and Customs looks at my "Customs Approval" form and is just about to sign it to be official and sees a little post-it note from the first Customs Agent saying "held pending DOT approval."

So he asked me if i had that form - I said "No - it wasn't faxed over to me - let me call my broker and have him fax it to you."

Well, the broker more or less skipped that little detail (even though Customs approved him anyway).

So I drove all the way down there for nothing.

Turns out if I went through a broker in the first place the DOT thing would never have been an issue because they would have just approved it.

But that post-it stopped me.

Old 12-05-2003, 10:19 PM
SXN

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Hmm odd. There are alot of parts that are sent here that aren't "approved". I hope it pans out. Can you return them for a refund?
tons of altezzas and aftermarket tails (for hondas, etc, there are billions of them) are NOT dot approved...why is this the exception?
Old 12-05-2003, 10:24 PM

Cause the altezzas are made in the US, well most of em at least, and they are shipped in by big companies
Old 12-05-2003, 10:40 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Didn't work out.

This morning i got a call from the Broker saying everything was good and to go pick them up from Customs.

Well, I get there and Customs looks at my "Customs Approval" form and is just about to sign it to be official and sees a little post-it note from the first Customs Agent saying "held pending DOT approval."

So he asked me if i had that form - I said "No - it wasn't faxed over to me - let me call my broker and have him fax it to you."

Well, the broker more or less skipped that little detail (even though Customs approved him anyway).

So I drove all the way down there for nothing.

Turns out if I went through a broker in the first place the DOT thing would never have been an issue because they would have just approved it.

But that post-it stopped me.

Once the broker settles that little requirement its good to go, right? Sounds like only another couple of days to go until you get your hands on it?
Old 12-05-2003, 11:01 PM
SXN

Originally Posted by desertmaxima
Cause the altezzas are made in the US, well most of em at least, and they are shipped in by big companies
tons of them are made in japan and china.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by BlackCat
Once the broker settles that little requirement its good to go, right? Sounds like only another couple of days to go until you get your hands on it?
No - because the DOT told me last week when I called them they would only allow "Temporary Import" (which means they have to be exported or destroyed after 90 days).

I expect they'll give me the same answer when they see my name come up again on Monday.

Looks like I may be redirecting them to you BlackCat...

You would have to pick them up from the Airport however....and they're in a big crate.

IanS
Old 12-10-2003, 06:11 PM

Well, shipping to Canada would cost $900 ($600 duty, $300 shipping) and even then I may not get them....Duty is INSANE in Canada!!!

My Customs Broker sugessted I get the contact information for a broker for someone who already imports them so she can see how they get around the DOT issue.

I sent Angie an E-Mail asking for that favor - but no response yet.

Most likely it looks like Customs will just destroy them.

Looks like I'm out a load of cash....and this happening this week just adds to my anger.

Quick Reply: Well, I think I'm out $2500