4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Finally Replaced my Busted Crankshaft Pulley. Pics inside.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 08:21 PM

Finally Replaced my Busted Crankshaft Pulley. Pics inside.

Man, that sh*t was hard. Took 3 hours total which includes me running in and out the house checking stuff on the net making sure I was doing the right stuff. The last 2 of those 3 hours were in complete darkness (I hate how it gets dark at 6pm now).

First pics. These are of the busted crankshaft pulley while it was on the car and after it was removed. It was blown so bad that the acc belt part of the pulley spins around on it own, its basically completely seperate from the rest of the pulley. Seal iis broken all the way around.

Twisted it in my hands and it broke in two, lol.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:24 PM

Second Pic Shows the Fantasic Tool that I used to lock the flywheel in place through the little trap door on the tranny case. I can't imagine getting anything else in there, the space was so tight and I could only get my car so high in the air. Locking the flywheel is the only way to prevent the crank from spinning on autos.

5mm Allen Wrench, fit perfectly.

Third Pics show the poor version of a air gun. I tried my best to get the crank bolt loose but it just wouldn't budge, so I had to get creative.

Last Pic, New Crank installed. I tightened it as much as I possibly could. I've got a torque wrench coming in the mail so I'll hit it up some more just to be sure it's at the req. specs. Also, the brown stuff is anti-seeze compound. I had started the car and the extra that was there flew all out.

Well thats it. Finally got my max up and running. Was down for about 2 weeks and I've been driving my beater 90 stang 4cyl and man does that car suck. Thanks to DaTHRILLR for giving me the deal on the crankshaft pulley and thanks to the org for all the how-to's.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:20 AM

bringing it to the top so more people can see.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:45 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Another way to break the crank bolt loose:

Put a breaker bar on the bolt and wedge it against the ground. Blip the starter (but DO NOT START THE ENGINE). It pops right off
Old 12-06-2003, 09:45 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

That is one easy way to remove the bolt...but I break my craftsman ratchets with my bare hands. The last time I took off a crank pulley I needed a torch. Cool method though.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Maxima10to1
That is one easy way to remove the bolt...but I break my craftsman ratchets with my bare hands. The last time I took off a crank pulley I needed a torch. Cool method though.

At least Sears will replace them, no questions asked. But a breaker bar is the tool to use.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
At least Sears will replace them, no questions asked. But a breaker bar is the tool to use.
18" breaker bar does wonders!
Old 12-08-2003, 02:24 PM

Dude consider yourself lucky, I had an RVM Pulley damn thing BROKE! I WAS OUT $1064.00. I PAID $812 my parents paid the difference. The ppulley is held together with screws and plates and a scew came loose and a plate tore into the timing chain cover, and was pouring oil, not to mention new belts, and labor. ARRRRRGGGHH! WEll that was four weeks without a car! But now my baby's back with a new exhaust! So I guess it's ok.....
Old 12-08-2003, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
Second Pic Shows the Fantasic Tool that I used to lock the flywheel in place through the little trap door on the tranny case. I can't imagine getting anything else in there, the space was so tight and I could only get my car so high in the air. Locking the flywheel is the only way to prevent the crank from spinning on autos.

5mm Allen Wrench, fit perfectly.

Third Pics show the poor version of a air gun. I tried my best to get the crank bolt loose but it just wouldn't budge, so I had to get creative.

Last Pic, New Crank installed. I tightened it as much as I possibly could. I've got a torque wrench coming in the mail so I'll hit it up some more just to be sure it's at the req. specs. Also, the brown stuff is anti-seeze compound. I had started the car and the extra that was there flew all out.

Well thats it. Finally got my max up and running. Was down for about 2 weeks and I've been driving my beater 90 stang 4cyl and man does that car suck. Thanks to DaTHRILLR for giving me the deal on the crankshaft pulley and thanks to the org for all the how-to's.
your welcome.... hope u enjoy driving ur car again ...

.now how are the brakes??
Old 12-10-2003, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by DaThrillr
your welcome.... hope u enjoy driving ur car again ...

.now how are the brakes??
the brakes are now great. axxis metal masters and brembo dimple/slotted rotors all around. I ended up having to replace both rear calipers instead of just one, which sucks, but it was bound to happen with the snow and salt that its had to deal with in Michigan.