4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

help stolen Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 08:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

help stolen Maxima

hi guys.

a couple of weeks ago my 1996 maxima was stolen so thank god it was insured.....or so i thought.. my insurance company is trying to find anyway they can to not pay the claim due to the fact the car had a factory immoiliser and alarm. (plus the fact that i am only 22 and male doesnt help) now i know that this is info that look a bit suss from my end but i need to know how easily it is to bypass this or if there is a site with info so i can show the insurance company. their attitude is "this car cannot be stolen" and it obviously can be cause mine was. please PM me with info if you have it

taa
Old 12-03-2003, 09:00 PM

Sorry to hear that your car got stolen. Has it turned up yet?
Old 12-03-2003, 09:13 PM

Are they on freaking crack?? Any car can be stolen. NO IMOBILLIZER OR ALARM can stop a theif from stealing a car. The car could have been stolen using a tow truck. A good tow truck driver can lift your car and already be down the block in less than a minute. A theif can have your car in less time lol. Alarms in my opinion arent built to keep your car from gettin stolen but to slow a would be theif down.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

well thats what i tried to tell them but they keep saying that it had an immobiliser so i need proof of how it can be done so i can slap it in their face....and no the car hasnt turned up yet
Old 12-03-2003, 09:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by polishstorm
well thats what i tried to tell them but they keep saying that it had an immobiliser so i need proof of how it can be done so i can slap it in their face....and no the car hasnt turned up yet
You absolutely do not have to prove jack sqaut to them. Ramses is absolutely correct, any car can be stolen!!!

Don't give them any information beacuse you will just be playing their game. I know insurance companies make you go throught a lot of BS, but I mean COME ON.

Sorry...this just makes me mad...
Old 12-03-2003, 09:49 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

uhh

1996 has immobilizer?? I thought that was 99.5+

And um... the alarm is CRAP. SHouldn't even be taken into account... wasnt' there a post a couple months ago talkin about how insurance don't recognize factory alarms anymore causing insurance rates to go up?
Old 12-03-2003, 09:52 PM

Hey very sorry to hear that man. Curious, what insurance company is giving you this grief??? Good luck. Lata.
-Jeremiah
Old 12-03-2003, 09:57 PM

Dude tell them to go F off. the reason you pay for full coverage is for that added protection and peice of mind. You need to let them know that. You pay that extra 1000 or even more so that they dont break your *****. I'm tellin you man any car can be stolen without it being started. An imobilzer only keeps the car from getin started.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Ramses718
Dude tell them to go F off. the reason you pay for full coverage is for that added protection and peice of mind. You need to let them know that. You pay that extra 1000 or even more so that they dont break your *****. I'm tellin you man any car can be stolen without it being started. An imobilzer only keeps the car from getin started.

I got a better idea. Sue them.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:28 AM

The guy is in Australia so I don't know if he'll sue or not. Go find a lawyer

After this gets settled, switch your insurance company and go break a few windows after you switch
Old 12-04-2003, 04:32 AM
The original VQ...

I think they are bluffing, but when my 97 was stolen they were giveing me grief sayin they shouldnt have to fix anything missing cause the car is still driveable, i was so****ed inthe end i chumped them and didnt even want the car so i got money. But hopefully it turns out good for you to.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks guys for your support for an aussie bloke (me) it just really ****es me off i just feel i am a victim from both sides
Old 12-04-2003, 07:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Like this was staed earlier, I think only the 99.5's have the actual chip in the key. With this, while the car will not be able to start without the key, it doesnt mean that the car wasnt towed. The alarm itself doesnt do much especially if no one is around to notice it. Punks tried to steal my car a couple of times already, all they could do was mess up the ignition...but my car was still there...(i have a 99).
But, in your case, they could have wired it up.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:58 AM

Just threaten them with a lawyer. Checkout yo levels of stolen car policy. If you read in fine lines they might find a way to not cover you. show the police report to them shove it up their AZZZ if they don't comply.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:26 PM

so why does the insurance company think it had to be driven away? a towtruck or flatbed could make your car disappear without a key.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:42 PM

...What if u just happened to forget to lock your car and thus not turn the alarm on? Your car was stolen. Insurance is supposed to make it all better. So, the fact that it had anti-thief wear should be irrelevant. Is there a rule in insurance that your car has to be locked in order to get coverage? ( The fact that the car had an alarm would probably be for rate purposes. As in, the probability of it being stolen would be lower with an alarm thus making your rates lower)..I dunno,or is it just me but I just thought that is what insurance is for.....
Old 12-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

just realised that my maxima to you is the I30 if that makes a diff
Old 12-08-2003, 06:16 PM
be the change u want2C

First of all only 99 maximas and up have an Immoboliser system. So you need to tell them that. IF they arent willing to pay for it then tell them your going to call your lawyer and sew them

My car is a 99 and it has a Immoboliser. All 99's have them. I have a chip in my key too, I had to get it reprogramed once cause it touched a strong magnet!!!
Old 12-08-2003, 06:23 PM

Don't worry. My insurance company tried the same ****. No matter what the car has on it, it can be stolen. They have to pay up. Do what I did, call the dude who is handling your case and ask him for all written documentation in reference to your case bgecause you need them for your lawyer. They will tell you that your lawyer has to put in a written formal request. After I did that with the adjuster and the manager. My check was in the mail in 3 days.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:25 PM
SXN

Originally Posted by Ni_Nos_Maxima
First of all only 99 maximas and up have an Immoboliser system. So you need to tell them that. IF they arent willing to pay for it then tell them your going to call your lawyer and sew them
yea, only 99+ had that, and it even wont keep your car from being stolen. also, your 96 alarm (like many fourth gen alarms) sucks! we dont have shock sensors, cant detect the windows being broken, etc... your inusrance company is smoking the rock
Old 12-08-2003, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ramses718
Are they on freaking crack?? Any car can be stolen. NO IMOBILLIZER OR ALARM can stop a theif from stealing a car. The car could have been stolen using a tow truck. A good tow truck driver can lift your car and already be down the block in less than a minute. A theif can have your car in less time lol. Alarms in my opinion arent built to keep your car from gettin stolen but to slow a would be theif down.
I dunno, maybe the insurance is different in Australia.

What really makes me wonder is when I watched that repo show. They simply lift the back and let the front tires (since most cars are FWD) skip as they drag it away. When they get safely away, then they drop it and lift the front. So much for the tip of parking head in and putting it in gear. Adds up to more damage when they grab and run. TOWING = very shady business. Those dudes routinely cruise around our co. parking lot, many times security catches up with them.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:29 PM
SXN

did everyone on the org watch that one repo show every thread about stolen cars goes back to that. its easy to jack a car if someone professional is doing it...but no offense, why did they want your 96 maxima?
Old 12-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Sports Button FTW

they dont believe a 96 with a stock alarm can be stolen? Immobilizer? maybe a fake a$$ kill switch but no immobilizer. Find someone with a 96 maxima and tell them you want to do an experiment and you'll pay for damages. Simply break driver side window, open car from inside, voila. This is already well known. Anybody still rocking stock alarm is a fool. I hope things work out, that insur company is dumb as hell.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:41 PM
Granny Driven

People this guy Is in Australia and has a 96 I30 which may have a immobolizer. U have to read between the lines.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:51 PM
SXN

as far as i know, none of the 96s had immobolizers
Old 12-08-2003, 09:57 PM
jmax

In the USA the police report would be all you need to make a claim. But most insurance companies want to wait at least a month to declare the vehicle a loss. After the month or settling the claim vehicle if found is the property of the insurance company.

Old 12-09-2003, 12:13 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by 190hpKiLLA
People this guy Is in Australia and has a 96 I30 which may have a immobolizer. U have to read between the lines.
in his first post he says "his 96 maxima was stolen". If he has i30, good chance he may have immobilizer? Does anyone here even know how australian insur. companies handle these type of situations?
Old 12-09-2003, 02:35 PM
SXN

um, if they handle them like british claims are handled (should be), then it should be exactly like us
Old 12-09-2003, 03:10 PM

The whole point of insurance is to protect you (the consumer) in case of accidents and theft. If you have your local law enforcement report simply send or email it to them and get a private attorney. That way you dont have to deal with your company anymore. The private attorney will get you more than you could alone, however he will take a percentage, so it will all work out in the end. Then switch companies. There is a lot of competition out there, so ask questions and become a well informed consumer.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:24 PM

95-98 immobilizer = Yank the fuel pump fuse.