4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Could i beat a RSX Type S

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 11:26 PM

Could i beat a RSX Type S

I think there was a post about this before, but i can't search the forums for some reason. so here goes......

Stock RSX Type S
6 speed manual
HP- 200hp
TQ-142tq

My Max
automatic
HP-190
TQ-205
plus my CAI, spark plugs, and cat back exhuast (200-220)

I was just wondering this b/c my friend is getting an Acura RSX Type S soon and my crew has been talking about a type s vs max race. Everyone thinks that the RSX is goin to rip me a new A hole, but i really don't think he will, i think it'll be a close race, and i'll pull ahead.
The type s come only in 6 speed manual, so obviously he'll have the advantage over me off the line, if he launches, but if he does get off the line faster, i'll make that up with my the max's powerful low end torque, which the RSX doesn't have. RSX has 200hp at crank and my max right now (i'm guessing) has anywhere from 200-220 hp at crank.

This is how i see the race going from a stop, and tell me if i'm wrong.
1. He launches with his manual and i do the little power brake launch with my auto.
2. He gets of the line quicker and he's ahead of me but by no more then a car length, but i soon make up the ground.
3. Now we're side by side but i'm pulling on him slowly b/c of the torque difference, and i remain ahead of him by no less then a half a car, b/c of my extra hp over him.

The only reason why i'm searching for answer is b/c there is "supposeibly" a "cash prize" involved. and plus i really don't feel like losing.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:44 PM

oooooo..........if he knows how to drive stick well, he will take you. The bad part is that you are an AUTO. If you were 5-speed, it might be a driver's race IMO. Try doing it from a roll. RSX's are no joke. They can be hella fast with a few mods(6-speed of course). I've read they do 0-60 in like 6.7, which is as fast as a stock 5 spd max. Good luck! Be careful... get a y-pipe and intake while you are at it before he gets the RSX
Old 12-03-2003, 11:53 PM

definetly need a y-pipe. it'll be a good race i think. he does weight roughly 450lbs less than you and he also has a stick....so i'm sorry to say, but with your setup right now....he'd win
Old 12-03-2003, 11:54 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

you will get raped. 3 car lengths by 60mph
Old 12-04-2003, 01:04 AM

Well I own a Celica GT-S 6-Speed which has the same performance as an RSX-S. My parents have a 97 SE 5-speed. So from driving both ill tell you my guess. Even though he has a 6-speed, you have SO much more torque. You will get him hard off the line. Once his 2nd cam engages he will start to catch up to you and eventually pass you. Don’t know at what MPH but id guess around 60-70 against a 5-speed. Not to sure against an auto.

Also know that there is a big margin of error in the RSX-S. If the guy can’t drive for crap you will win. In the GT-S, ive seen 16 sec stock ¼ times all the way to 14.5 just because they are so tuff to drive well.

Im trading my GT-S for a 4th gen max by the way
Old 12-04-2003, 04:21 AM
Old Maxima Legend

I dont think you could beat the type s. You would need more mods. Look down in my signature and click on VIDEO. Im racing a rsx type s. he also ran a 14.7 that night. I dont think he had mods, not sure.

hey i hope you wax the guy, but you could be out gunned !
Old 12-04-2003, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Luvin It
Well I own a Celica GT-S 6-Speed which has the same performance as an RSX-S. My parents have a 97 SE 5-speed. So from driving both ill tell you my guess. Even though he has a 6-speed, you have SO much more torque. You will get him hard off the line. Once his 2nd cam engages he will start to catch up to you and eventually pass you. Don’t know at what MPH but id guess around 60-70 against a 5-speed. Not to sure against an auto.

Also know that there is a big margin of error in the RSX-S. If the guy can’t drive for crap you will win. In the GT-S, ive seen 16 sec stock ¼ times all the way to 14.5 just because they are so tuff to drive well.

Im trading my GT-S for a 4th gen max by the way
Since WHEN does a Celica GT-S have the same performance as an RSX-S ...OH WAIT! NEVER! Celicas would get owned by a maxima or RSX-S on any day....rsx has 200hp the gts has 180, and im sure the torque figures on both suck mad @ss b/c toyota's and honda/acuras 4 cylinders are torqueless wonders.|
To conclude this speech, celicas are not even close to rsx's in styling,performance, or any other field sorry Luvin it.

And as ceasar put it SO well, a stock rsx-s can run 14.7-15.0's and your max would be lucky to pull down a 15.3-15.6... But good luck man, I hope your friend cant drive, and if he can? Remind him of the @ssraping his insurance gets every month, and how you own a car that is still rippen fast, can seat 5, and you still paid, and will pay less than him for the car, and on insurance.

EDIT: About how you guys think a 6-speed is SOOOOOOo great. Lets take a look at the latest import war out there. The Mitsubishi Lancer EVOlution Versus the Subaru WRX STI...

The Subaru Flexes 300 awd Hp ANd near that in torque as well. It comes standard with a bulletproof 6-speed manual transmission.
The Mitsubishi Lancer EVOlution comes with 271hp and 260 something awd torque, and comes standard witha decent 5 speed manual tranny.

SO, ANSWER ME THIS... WHY, OH WHY, does the mitsubishi lancer EVOlution actually BEAT the WRX STI 0-60????? HOW COULD THAT BE?

The lancer has less horsepower and torque, both cars weigh the same, and the subaru has a better tranny!

The 6-speed is what stopped the WRX from beating the lancer, even with its close to 30 more hp. There are too many shifts getting to 60, and during these shifts the lancer was able to pull ahead, still in its powerband, as the wrx had to blow off, and get off the gas to shift...

Im not saying you are gonna win or anything, but people rave about 6 speeds constantly, and im sure that extra gear is fun, but its not always the best thing...

Wow, what the hell is my problem this morning, im grouchy, must have not gotten enough sleep. Well, class time ttyl all!