4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

place racing cold air intake.. or then injen...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 10:25 AM

place racing cold air intake.. or then injen...

i was reading and it was saying that the injen isnt a real CAI ..... does this have any downfalls if i were to get this.. or should i get the placeracing CAI.. which would benefit me more ( i dont mind cutting a hole )..thanks
Old 12-06-2003, 11:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well the Place Racing CAI is a real true CAI as its filter sits in the fenderwell away from the radiator and engine bay. On the negative side you are prone to sucking in water going through a puddle/flood or such. The Injen is considered to be the best looking CAI, and it's filter sits right in front of the radiator under the battery compartment. I wouldn't say it's a true CAI but there is plently of cool air down there, plus you aren't prone to sucking in water unless you go through a really deep flood. Plus the sound is unbelieveable sounds like a V8, maybe I'm biast because I have an Injen, lol.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:53 PM

yup, ive got the injen and it scares other people that want to mess
Old 12-08-2003, 03:53 AM

so there's no cutting with the injen? cus if there is i'll just stay with my short ram...
Old 12-08-2003, 04:13 AM

Injen requires no cutting and only 1 bolt for installation.

err well actually I guess thats 5 because of the 4 on the MAF adapters, along with the worm connectors.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:50 AM

Does that mean that the Place Racing CAI DOES require cutting?
Old 12-08-2003, 05:45 AM

cutting is very simple, all you do is get a 4" hole saw, then attatch it to the drill, then drill a hole.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:08 AM
Old Maxima Legend

the place racing is going to suck in cooler air over the injen. because of where the injen filter is sitting, its going to get some warm air off the radiator.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:14 AM
Banned

pr- better performace so you'll get maybe 1-2hp more then the injen.

injen-much louder then the pr intake, shiny and showy.

intakes are for sound and show. they do so little for performace. get the injen easier install.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:26 AM

yeah, the injen does look pretty pimp... plus the bonus of no cutting.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Torgus
pr- better performace so you'll get maybe 1-2hp more then the injen.

injen-much louder then the pr intake, shiny and showy.

intakes are for sound and show. they do so little for performace. get the injen easier install.
That statement is too general. Reason intakes don't do much for 4th gens is because the main bottleneck is the USIM. It would be the same thing as buying a cat-back before a y-pipe.

As far as the PR outperforming the Injen just because is sucks in cooler air, that theory might not be entirely true. The PR might be getting cooler air, but don't you think that the Injen might have access to a bigger volume of air altogether?? IMO, where the Injen filter sits gets more air than the fender and behind the battery. And besides when you're rolling the air in the engine bay is much cooler than in stop and go traffic.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:46 PM

just get cai and u can later put it as a injen hehe thats what i do once in a while
Old 12-11-2003, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by IwANnAMaX96
That statement is too general. Reason intakes don't do much for 4th gens is because the main bottleneck is the USIM. It would be the same thing as buying a cat-back before a y-pipe.

As far as the PR outperforming the Injen just because is sucks in cooler air, that theory might not be entirely true. The PR might be getting cooler air, but don't you think that the Injen might have access to a bigger volume of air altogether?? IMO, where the Injen filter sits gets more air than the fender and behind the battery. And besides when you're rolling the air in the engine bay is much cooler than in stop and go traffic.
Sorry guys. The debate about CAI's vs HAI's has been going for years. It has been determined fairly conclusively that the primary difference is only the length of the pipe. Our intakes (USIM AND MEVI) suffer from air resonance problems. In low rpms, the longer tubes work better, and in high rpms, the short popchager/hai's work better. The MEVI helps alleviate this problem by switching intake runners at ~5000rpm where the difference is the most noticable, effectively changing the length of the airpath.

When it comes down to it, injen and place racing are going to flow the same. Anyone who tells you that you are going to gain an extra hp because of the cooler temps is incorrect because they are not accounting for the effect of the resonance. The only place where the cooler temps will help may be on a hot track day. You may end up lasting longer before getting heat saturation. Many people have switched to a hybrid intake which is middle ground between the CAI and HAI. This is essentially a CAI midpipe with a popcharger attached.

So it's really about personal preference. Neither one is going to "flood" with water easier than the other, they both sit at about the same depth.. And i've checked, the inside of that fender stays pretty damn dry, even when it's very wet out and you are driving through puddles. Just dont freaking sink your car and you'll be fine. I personally like the look of the PR intake over the Injen. I would say that the PR makes just as much noise or more than the Injen.

Disclaimer: I have had a PR cai for more than 2 years and have recently purchased a popcharger to go hybrid. (try that with a Injen, good luck heh)
Old 12-11-2003, 09:30 AM

Dude, why did you quote me?? I wasn't arguing about which type of intake was better. I was just presenting a theory of mine about the Injen vs. Place Racing, which is the point of this thread if you didn't know. If you read the post I quoted, you would know where I was getting at. I've heard it all about the CAI/Hybrid/Pop-charger debate so you're talking to the wrong guy. Try reading next time.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by IwANnAMaX96
Dude, why did you quote me?? I wasn't arguing about which type of intake was better. I was just presenting a theory of mine about the Injen vs. Place Racing, which is the point of this thread if you didn't know. If you read the post I quoted, you would know where I was getting at. I've heard it all about the CAI/Hybrid/Pop-charger debate so you're talking to the wrong guy. Try reading next time.
Dude!..Duude..Doooood!!...Dude!..no no.Dooooooooood!.Ah,well u do have a pont there