4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Will a 4 gen ever go 12's Na?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 04:33 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Will a 4 gen ever go 12's Na?

Is anyone trying? I think nealoc is the closest at 13.6 .
Im thinking of high 13's this spring,got rid of my all season tires ive always raced with .Finally got some light rims. Solved the problem with my car scaling back the timing. So whats up.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Only if an 8 sec drag car pulled it along for the ride

I highly doubt it, possibly, perhaps, but looking at a maybe a 10K project + the car.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:28 PM

I think Nealoc could get there if he invested more money into modifications. I don't know if he's prepared to do that to a car like the Maxima, but I think he has the skills and determination to drive it into the 12s.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

you'd prob have to pull out everything but the driver's seat
Old 12-06-2003, 10:25 PM
Redlinemax Owner

and raise the compression
Old 12-07-2003, 12:08 AM
Sports Button FTW

i dont think the maxima has enough restrictions to go that fast...unless someone finds out how to make a 3.5 fit....
Old 12-07-2003, 12:14 AM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by meccanoble
unless someone finds out how to make a 3.5 fit....
Old 12-07-2003, 12:38 AM

Hmmm, it would be interesting to see a Max try to do that... Personally i don't think it could be done unless you spent a stupid amount of money... I think Nealoc hit a ~13.6? That's fast on its own, but it takes a lot more to get into 12 second range N/A...

LEMAR
Old 12-07-2003, 01:25 AM

I don't think anyone has however it can be done with a VQ35DE easier than a VQ30DE would. Cartest shows a 12sec all motor max could be done with a 2800lb race weight, 230whp+, 1.7x-1.82 60'. Now unless someone is hell bent on building a VQ30, drop in a VQ35 with bolt ons should be enough. Then do some weight reduction and buy slicks while hopping you don't break axles or the tranny.

Originally Posted by krismax
Is anyone trying? I think nealoc is the closest at 13.6 .
Im thinking of high 13's this spring,got rid of my all season tires ive always raced with .Finally got some light rims. Solved the problem with my car scaling back the timing. So whats up.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:13 AM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by NookieMax
you'd prob have to pull out everything but the driver's seat

You could probably get the Maxima down to 2500-2600 lbs. Doing motor work and such would probably make it happen. But it's really not worth the time and $
Old 12-07-2003, 08:30 AM

Solved the problem with my car scaling back the timing. So whats up.
How did you figure out that it was scaling back the timing?
Old 12-07-2003, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo87SE
I don't think anyone has however it can be done with a VQ35DE easier than a VQ30DE would. Cartest shows a 12sec all motor max could be done with a 2800lb race weight, 230whp+, 1.7x-1.82 60'. Now unless someone is hell bent on building a VQ30, drop in a VQ35 with bolt ons should be enough. Then do some weight reduction and buy slicks while hopping you don't break axles or the tranny.
2800 lbs race weight means that the lightest gen 4 still needs to lose 400 lbs or so. That is quite a bit! Wasn't there a guy on the forum who has a website that had stage 1 - stage 4 weight reduction tips and he had his down to 2500 lbs (without driver)?

230whp NA would be quite hard to achieve without putting in a considerable amount of money into maybe raising the compression and getting forged internals... has anyone even attempted this on the org? Do we even have the resources to make these parts for Maximas?
Old 12-07-2003, 09:37 AM

Keep in mind that if 1.5 years ago somebody had said there was a 13-second all-motor max, they would have been laughed off the forums.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:23 PM

Im sure it could be done with the help of high compression slugs and some race gas. Lots of gutting out to be done also. But like Vyrus said, a 13 sec all motor maxima 1.5 years ago was a dream, so was a turbo for the maxima, but shoot everyone has one now LOL. We are all just a little behind on the power curve compared to the honda boys but hey we are making progress
Old 12-07-2003, 01:53 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by speedemn
How did you figure out that it was scaling back the timing?
Because most every time i got on the pedal my timing went down,not up. This got alot worse when i put the TB on because my small egr tube was almost completly blocked and the greater airflow made the egr problem worse and i had no power after 4000rpm it was like hitting redline And still ran a 14.600 this year.
After i fixed my maf and egr problems my car felt so much better it was great ,i had to go dyno, so i did.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:01 PM

Because most every time i got on the pedal my timing went down,not up. This got alot worse when i put the TB on because my small egr tube was almost completly blocked and the greater airflow made the egr problem worse and i had no power after 4000rpm it was like hitting redline And still ran a 14.600 this year.
After i fixed my maf and egr problems my car felt so much better it was great ,i had to go dyno, so i did.
those are some pretty impressive dyno numbers you got there....how much do you think the TB got you?

ive been getting more and more interested in this mod....
Old 12-07-2003, 02:23 PM

2800 lbs race weight means that the lightest gen 4 still needs to lose 400 lbs or so. That is quite a bit! Wasn't there a guy on the forum who has a website that had stage 1 - stage 4 weight reduction tips and he had his down to 2500 lbs (without driver)?
That's crazy. Where are you getting you're numbers from. The 4th gen max is not a boat. If you're max weighs 3200lbs, try taking out the 200lbs of stereo equipment you must have put in there.

http://lighter.maxdes.net/

A 2800lb maxima is certainly doable, no question. The 230fwhp however, is going to need to come from a VQ35 or something because it would take way too much time and money to get that from a VQ30.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:05 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by hakk97se
That's crazy. Where are you getting you're numbers from. The 4th gen max is not a boat. If you're max weighs 3200lbs, try taking out the 200lbs of stereo equipment you must have put in there.

http://lighter.maxdes.net/

A 2800lb maxima is certainly doable, no question. The 230fwhp however, is going to need to come from a VQ35 or something because it would take way too much time and money to get that from a VQ30.
My car weighs in the high 2700's with pas seat out, will prob be 2600's by spring and i have a driver that will be racing my car that weighs 150lbs less than me. Just got some drag radials , lighter rims ,will prob have electric ps (in the works)from what ive seen worth around .2 , lower gearing 5%, jim wolf ecu 7400-7500rpm (have spare ready to send out, still not sure on ecu rpm). If all of that can get me close to nealoc i will spring for cams.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by hakk97se
Read again - 3200 lbs RACE weight... that includes driver. So unless you are a 5 year old driving a Maxima and weigh under 50 lbs, it would be extremely hard to weigh 3000 lbs as you are implying.

So as I said, race weight of 2800 lbs would mean that you would have to lose about 400 lbs off the weight of the Maxima (unless you want to go on a diet and lose about 50 then the Max. only has to lose 150)
Old 12-07-2003, 03:42 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

So you have all the kinks worked using the PF TB? Your last dyno did not show any AF ratio problems? When you say you fixed your MAF troubles what exactly do you mean?
Old 12-07-2003, 03:42 PM

197/192 are great numbers for where you at now. I don't think that anybody on the org has got the JWT cams and internals. It might also be worthwhile to get a GeForce (Technosquare) ECU since you have a US manifold.

What was your bone stock dyno numbers, if you had done a dyno then? 197hp does seem high but it is do-able if you had a higher starting point. My car did, but then I got the MEVI and lost a LOT of my midrange where the peak power was being made. So now my dyno numbers are more normal.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:47 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Read again - 3200 lbs RACE weight... that includes driver. So unless you are a 5 year old driving a Maxima and weigh under 50 lbs, it would be extremely hard to weigh 3000 lbs as you are implying.

So as I said, race weight of 2800 lbs would mean that you would have to lose about 400 lbs off the weight of the Maxima (unless you want to go on a diet and lose about 50 then the Max. only has to lose 150)
The key with my weight reduction is i dont tear things out i replace with somthing lighter . for instance take a cast iron bracket or steel and make it out of aluminum. Hey it doesnt cost me anything and its a hobby.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:02 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
So you have all the kinks worked using the PF TB? Your last dyno did not show any AF ratio problems? When you say you fixed your MAF troubles what exactly do you mean?
Yes no more problems, it wasnt a problem in the first place it just multiplied my other problems i had a bad maf got a newer one from junk yard and cleaned it $50. My egr system was so clogged i had a code for the longest time ,didnt know how to clean it.
The 10%-25% greater flow from the TB was making my bad maf and egr system go nuts my ecu was giving too much fuel then not enough,my timing was getting severly retarded. I just was focusing on the TB to much ,my dealership that i go to told me to take it off . I didnt do it ,i didnt want to give up.
Now my hesitations and stumblings were extremly bad, my scan tool was showing huge variations in fuel and timing and the consult 2 at the dealer showed the same thing, thats why they told me to take it off. With the new maf and overhauled egr system my car sounds different , no stumbling or hesitations it feels like a beast this is what made me go dyno.
I would like to put my scan tool and see someones airflow with the same mods except TB and compare airflow to mine in all rpm ranges.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:03 PM
Old Maxima Legend

The key with my weight reduction is i dont tear things out i replace with somthing lighter . for instance take a cast iron bracket or steel and make it out of aluminum. Hey it doesnt cost me anything and its a hobby.
hey krismax, lets share weight reduction ideas. im presently working on seats, hood, battery. Got the seats covered and cut 47 pounds off overall weight. it included taking out the stock seat belts. anyways i will be in touch.

hakk97se : hey hakk is that your site with the weight reduction on it ? if not whos site is this, i might have a few things to add, and chat about.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:18 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
hey krismax, lets share weight reduction ideas. im presently working on seats, hood, battery. Got the seats covered and cut 47 pounds off overall weight. it included taking out the stock seat belts. anyways i will be in touch.

hakk97se : hey hakk is that your site with the weight reduction on it ? if not whos site is this, i might have a few things to add, and chat about.
I have mapped out the entire weight reduction things for my maxima, some will cost some are free. I believe mid to high 2500's are doable and still keep it looking stock. You have to be a fanatic or the car will never be light. I spend hours going after ounces. Believe it or not putting the TB on saved a pound. And it doesnt hurt, i have access to CNC's and tig welders.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:51 PM
Father of the 00 VI

197/192 are great numbers for where you at now. I don't think that anybody on the org has got the JWT cams and internals. It might also be worthwhile to get a GeForce (Technosquare) ECU since you have a US manifold.

What was your bone stock dyno numbers, if you had done a dyno then? 197hp does seem high but it is do-able if you had a higher starting point. My car did, but then I got the MEVI and lost a LOT of my midrange where the peak power was being made. So now my dyno numbers are more normal.
I may be planning cams in my future ,otherwise i would get the gforce ECU. I will be dynoing again this winter after my Power steering project is done, hope that will put me over 200fwhp.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:53 PM

I may be planning cams in my future ,otherwise i would get the gforce ECU. I will be dynoing again this winter after my Power steering project is done, hope that will put me over 200fwhp.
Electric PS does sound like a good idea but there has got to be some drawbacks to it. Did you also bypass your AC pulley?

Did you consider higher compression pistons from Arias for example?
Old 12-07-2003, 08:52 PM

It's nice having a few guys around here that are serious about NA performance. I get jealous reading the turbo/SC forum.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:22 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Electric PS does sound like a good idea but there has got to be some drawbacks to it. Did you also bypass your AC pulley?

Did you consider higher compression pistons from Arias for example?
There is no drawback for me , it will be a on off switch . When i race it will be off and draw no power also on the highway it will be off saving fuel . I dont need PS in a straight line .
If i was going into the engine i would do it all and i dont have All that money right now.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:09 AM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
It's nice having a few guys around here that are serious about NA performance. I get jealous reading the turbo/SC forum.
I think we'll always be jealous of their power levels. I know I am. Still something fun about reaching that 200fwhp N/A though. When do you want to get together for baseline scan readings? I've got all winter to design & test my new CAI (chilled air induction) with my folks at TNR.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
I think we'll always be jealous of their power levels. I know I am. Still something fun about reaching that 200fwhp N/A though. When do you want to get together for baseline scan readings? I've got all winter to design & test my new CAI (chilled air induction) with my folks at TNR.

Anytime after I take my finals this week. I want to dyno as well, where do yo recomend I go?
Old 12-08-2003, 06:28 AM

why would someone go with high compression pistons and hit 12's. Once you hit 12s NA your going to want more. Its an addiction trust me. Just do the opposite and lower compression and youll surpass 12's with some boost!
Old 12-08-2003, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by JAY25
why would someone go with high compression pistons and hit 12's. Once you hit 12s NA your going to want more. Its an addiction trust me. Just do the opposite and lower compression and youll surpass 12's with some boost!
Go back to your turbo forum
Old 12-08-2003, 07:09 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
Only if an 8 sec drag car pulled it along for the ride

I highly doubt it, possibly, perhaps, but looking at a maybe a 10K project + the car.
$10k in motor work? Ouch. I also have a 1st gen RX7 and there are several people buying cars for like $400 and putting junkyard 2.3 liter turbo ford engines and running in the 12s for around $2500 including car.