4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Reverse Indiglo Guages

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 04:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Reverse Indiglo Gauges

I really want some white faced gauges and think the reverse indiglo gauges are cool. I was looking at Southwest Autoworks and they have them for 95-97. For some reason I thought I remembered these not working for 97 models. I have a 97 GLE BTW. Has anyone put them on a 97 GLE and are they hard to install? Do they have a separate controller or are they controlled by the stock dimmer? Thanks!
Old 12-12-2003, 04:38 PM
Pizda Boy

It's just a piece of plastic that you slip in place of the old plastic. There's no connections that I know of.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by MaxedOutOfCash
It's just a piece of plastic that you slip in place of the old plastic. There's no connections that I know of.
Do the reverse indiglo guages not require power?
Old 12-12-2003, 04:46 PM
Pizda Boy

Doesn't it say wherever you're getting them from?
Old 12-12-2003, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by MaxedOutOfCash
Doesn't it say wherever you're getting them from?
Southwest Autoworks doesn't mention it and I don't know who else sells them. I don't want the ones that light up a solid color, I want the ones that light up like in the picture below:
Old 12-12-2003, 06:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2448027897

$25, and they do require power
Old 12-12-2003, 06:40 PM

Getting power to those should be easy. Once you take the dash apart you can run a wire right down with the wires for the cruise control, then down under the steering wheel and tap into the power wire that leads to the cig lighter... just a thought...
Old 12-12-2003, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by rdaneel
Getting power to those should be easy. Once you take the dash apart you can run a wire right down with the wires for the cruise control, then down under the steering wheel and tap into the power wire that leads to the cig lighter... just a thought...
So they do need power, I can handle that. But has anyone put these in a 97 GLE. That auction says they are for 95-97 SE models. What is the difference?
Old 12-12-2003, 09:49 PM

does it have to be an SE some Maroon Max had them and it shure wasnt an se
Old 12-12-2003, 09:52 PM
Pizda Boy

no, it doesn't.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:00 PM

I have them on my 97 GXE. And they fit the SE. I don't see why they wouldnt fit the GLE. Theres pics of mine here: http://members.cardomain.com/v2powr

Does your gauge cluster look like that? If it does, they should work just fine. One thing I did (and you should do this the first time instead of later believe me) is after peeling the stock faces off...forget about the two sided tape crap. You need more than that especially if it's hot where you live. I took a dremmel and laid the old faces to the new faces and drilled holes. I pulled the little "pegs" out and used a very small piece of duct tape on the back to hold it in place until i got them screwed in. The power is easy. I believe it is connected to the always hot side of the dimmer switch and grounded appropriately. I liked the look of the white needles so i kept the white bulbs from the back of the cluster. Just dremmel an indentation in one of the bulb sockets and run the wires through there. I can prolly help ya remotely when the time comes.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:04 PM
SXN

Originally Posted by WaarrEagle
I really want some white faced guages and think the reverse indiglo guages are cool. I was looking at Southwest Autoworks and they have them for 95-97. For some reason I thought I remembered these not working for 97 models. I have a 97 GLE BTW. Has anyone put them on a 97 GLE and are they hard to install? Do they have a separate controller or are they controlled by the stock dimmer? Thanks!
install instructions in the 4th gen how to forum.... no one ever looks anyway

in my sig or at the top of the 4th gen thread is a link for the thread. its under "interior" at the bottom
Old 12-12-2003, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Max1man
I have them on my 97 GXE. And they fit the SE. I don't see why they wouldnt fit the GLE. Theres pics of mine here: http://members.cardomain.com/v2powr

Does your gauge cluster look like that? If it does, they should work just fine. One thing I did (and you should do this the first time instead of later believe me) is after peeling the stock faces off...forget about the two sided tape crap. You need more than that especially if it's hot where you live. I took a dremmel and laid the old faces to the new faces and drilled holes. I pulled the little "pegs" out and used a very small piece of duct tape on the back to hold it in place until i got them screwed in. The power is easy. I believe it is connected to the always hot side of the dimmer switch and grounded appropriately. I liked the look of the white needles so i kept the white bulbs from the back of the cluster. Just dremmel an indentation in one of the bulb sockets and run the wires through there. I can prolly help ya remotely when the time comes.

Do NOT tap into the dimmer switch for the connection. You will get a reverse fading effect. Instead, tap into the cruise control power. Make sure it's the red/blue stripe one that only turns on when the driving lights turn on. You'll figure it out.

Also, you can splice into the cruise control ground........

Hope your pretty handy with crimping and soldering, though no soldering is required.

Get yourself a professional wire stripping gun, and a crimper with lots of different crimping connections. then run the switch for the indiglos to your position of choice.

BTW, when I installed my gauges, I got my finger stuck in the gauge cluster, and proceeded to punch the ceiling of my car from the pain.....no, wait a minute....I just shattered my mirror........be careful, ok?

Dan
Old 12-12-2003, 11:05 PM
SXN

anger issues maybe
Old 12-13-2003, 06:16 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

go to maxima driver.cpm and look up the how-to's on that site. And it tells you how you have to install them. If ya wantsome you can always go on ebay. They have them real cheal always.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by SXN
install instructions in the 4th gen how to forum.... no one ever looks anyway

in my sig or at the top of the 4th gen thread is a link for the thread. its under "interior" at the bottom
I actually did go there first but instead of reading the whole page i searched for the word "guage." The only time that word is on there is for changing bulbs. I see what you are talking about but I have to do a word search for guageS for it to show up. Thanks for the link.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by SXN
anger issues maybe

Hey, I'm a hockey player. What'd you expect?

I'm just glad it wasn't my winshield. I would've had a broken winshield, and a broken hand.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It's spelled "gauge"
Old 12-13-2003, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by HBFT
It's spelled "gauge"
Well I feel like an idiot now... Someone needs to go fix the 4th Gen How-To as it is spelled wrong in there for the bulb write up.
Old 12-13-2003, 11:25 AM
daroknessmonsto

Originally Posted by GoalieKeg
Do NOT tap into the dimmer switch for the connection. You will get a reverse fading effect. Instead, tap into the cruise control power. Make sure it's the red/blue stripe one that only turns on when the driving lights turn on. You'll figure it out.

Dan
Hm? I tapped into my dimmer switch for the connection, and have no "reverse fading" effects. You can tap into the dimmer with no problems.

Old 12-13-2003, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by daroknessmonsto
Hm? I tapped into my dimmer switch for the connection, and have no "reverse fading" effects. You can tap into the dimmer with no problems.

it depends if you tap it before or after the dimmer
Old 12-13-2003, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by GoalieKeg

Also, you can splice into the cruise control ground........

Hope your pretty handy with crimping and soldering, though no soldering is required.

Get yourself a professional wire stripping gun, and a crimper with lots of different crimping connections. then run the switch for the indiglos to your position of choice.

BTW, when I installed my gauges, I got my finger stuck in the gauge cluster, and proceeded to punch the ceiling of my car from the pain.....no, wait a minute....I just shattered my mirror........be careful, ok?

Dan
*sigh* ok...i have to pick this apart

1) You WILL NOT get any kind of reverse fading effect if you tap in "before" the dimmer and I quote "I believe it is connected to the always hot side of the dimmer switch and grounded appropriately" I don't remember the color of the wire but I did mine off the how to so I know it's there. I "think" its the right side of the dimmer as you are facing it but check to be sure.

2) How can you possibly get your hand stuck when your supposed to take the whole gauge cluster out as the how-to did say? Doing this on a steady flat surface will save you loads of agony.

3) There is only one "crimp" necessary and it doesn't even need to be a crimp. You can get a "box splice" connector that fits over both the + wire and your lights +. Snap it shut..all done.

4) I have the switch for the indiglos routed into the fuse box area and stuffed in the lower left corner of the fuse box. Very handy...very secure using wire ties.

All of this is backed up by the how to. I kept the one I used so I'll send it to you if you want it. Lemme know.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:30 PM

Where did you get those gauges that do not have the the blue circle in the middle? Also, why are your needles not lit up?
Old 12-13-2003, 12:39 PM

Where did you get those gauges that do not have the the blue circle in the middle? Also, why are your needles not lit up?
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and venture a guess that he has taken the bulbs out in order to run the wires through the back. Those holes are about it unless you make some. I ran mine that way for awhile until a light bulb went of in my head to do the dremmel thing I explained above.

I got mine on Ebay and it looks like his are the same.

Hope that helps.

*looking closer at his picture* Someone isn't wearing a seat belt

Old 12-13-2003, 01:01 PM
daroknessmonsto

got the gauges from custommaxima actually..they sent me the wrong ones obviously...guess i lucked out b/c they are much better lookin without the aqua color...just sonic blue and red..

As for my needles; they are not lit up b/c i didnt want them lit up. I thought it would look terrible with blue/red/ then white needles...Eventually i'll get the sonic blue needles to match.

"*looking closer at his picture* Someone isn't wearing a seat belt"

You are right. I wasn't b/c i wasn't driving...i was taking a picture
(The picture was taken from the back seat)

Old 12-13-2003, 01:12 PM

got the gauges from custommaxima actually..they sent me the wrong ones obviously...guess i lucked out b/c they are much better lookin without the aqua color...just sonic blue and red..

As for my needles; they are not lit up b/c i didnt want them lit up. I thought it would look terrible with blue/red/ then white needles...Eventually i'll get the sonic blue needles to match.

"*looking closer at his picture* Someone isn't wearing a seat belt"

You are right. I wasn't b/c i wasn't driving...i was taking a picture
(The picture was taken from the back seat)
hehehe i figured had to get a good j/k in today
Old 12-13-2003, 03:29 PM
SXN

Well I feel like an idiot now... Someone needs to go fix the 4th Gen How-To as it is spelled wrong in there for the bulb write up.
are you mentally retarded... i dont see it spelled wrong in any of the important links i told you to look at

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...4&postcount=21

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...8&postcount=17

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...29&postcount=7

oh look, 3 sets of instructions. they are ALL spelled right, all listed where i told you they were.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by SXN
are you mentally retarded... i dont see it spelled wrong in any of the important links i told you to look at

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...4&postcount=21

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...8&postcount=17

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...29&postcount=7

oh look, 3 sets of instructions. they are ALL spelled right, all listed where i told you they were.
Well I may need to work on my spelling of "gauge" but you need to learn to read. If you look in my previous post it says it is spelled wrong in the BULB write up, not any of the links you are referring to. And I quote:
"Another How To Change Guage Bulbs -"
That is right between two of your posts at the bottom.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:21 PM
SXN

any of the links i gave you would have told you how to do it, unless you mean the custom bulb job, then you should just ask for that instead of gauge install instructions
Old 12-13-2003, 06:31 PM

Reverse indiglows and changing your gauge bulbs are two different things....Pick one and stick with it slappy!
I just changed my bulbs...10 beans as opposed to 30...
your damn right im a cheap @ss
Old 12-13-2003, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by 97blackSE
Reverse indiglows and changing your gauge bulbs are two different things....Pick one and stick with it slappy!
I just changed my bulbs...10 beans as opposed to 30...
your damn right im a cheap @ss
I don't want to change my bulbs. I just noticed the error while searching for instructions for indiglo gauges and I said someone should fix it...
Old 12-14-2003, 06:44 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

ok look i am getting this soon as well. i just did my bulbs behind the gauges and i think it sucks.

I justw ant them to come on when i turn my lights on. so what would i do.

Before the dimmer. How do i know where before the dimmer is. I know alittle bit about wiring sometimes i just need to be pushed into a directions.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by ManualMaxima
ok look i am getting this soon as well. i just did my bulbs behind the gauges and i think it sucks.

I justw ant them to come on when i turn my lights on. so what would i do.

Before the dimmer. How do i know where before the dimmer is. I know alittle bit about wiring sometimes i just need to be pushed into a directions.
Step 13 from the how-to

Okie. Now we have to hook up the power/ground to the control box. there should be a BLACK wire. that's ground. Using the wire stripper, strip about 1/2 inch of the insulation off and twist into a firm lead. Then, using the BACK of the gauge cluster, find something labeled "GND" that's ground. Unscrew that ground screw just enough to slide and wrap the ground wire around it, and then retighten.

For Power, that's gonna be tricky. We want the indiglos to come on ONLY when the lights are turned on. So. we're going to tap into the "DIMMER" switch. But not physically the dimmer switch, but the power that lights up the little Dimmer logo. get it? When you turn on the lights, the whole console and radio buttons turn on, right? so we're going to get power from that little logo that turns on when the lights are on. So for this car (97 SE) it was a blue wire. To make sure, use a voltmeter to see how much power is coming to that lead. CUT the blue wire, strip both ends and splice into it with the red wire from the control box. wrap it around a few times with electrical tape to make a secure and strong connection. Test the connection by turning on the lights. The gauges should go on. good.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:22 PM
SXN

did anyone read all the how to links i posted?
Old 12-14-2003, 07:24 PM

Actually ya I did Got lots of new ideas now..thanks.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:30 PM
SXN

maybe WaarrEagle should follow by a good example
Old 12-14-2003, 07:35 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

ok shut up, i got it now!
Old 12-14-2003, 07:41 PM
SXN

guilting you into learning...always works.