4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Emergency Brake Relocation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2001, 12:34 PM

A weird question I know (a search revealed no more information so I expect I'm the only one experiencing this?)

I'm 6'4" and even with the seat all the way back, my legs are still bent a good deal and my right thigh has a really nice bruise on it from leaning my leg on the d@mned e-brake. Needless to say, it's pretty uncomfortable to spend a good portion of time in traffic (my commute is about an hour each way, stop and go).

I was wondering if anyone has been able to move/re-locate/bend/shim/whatever their emergency brake to get it further away from the driver's compartment? It seems like it is "leaning" into the driver's compartment and away from the shifter (yes, I am a proud slush-box owner). A simple (albeit careful) bend may do the trick but I'd rather it be a little less of a mickey-moused solution - any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 02-27-2001, 12:56 PM

Reach for the Hickey

Originally posted by tofor
A weird question I know (a search revealed no more information so I expect I'm the only one experiencing this?)

I'm 6'4" and even with the seat all the way back, my legs are still bent a good deal and my right thigh has a really nice bruise on it from leaning my leg on the d@mned e-brake. Needless to say, it's pretty uncomfortable to spend a good portion of time in traffic (my commute is about an hour each way, stop and go).

I was wondering if anyone has been able to move/re-locate/bend/shim/whatever their emergency brake to get it further away from the driver's compartment? It seems like it is "leaning" into the driver's compartment and away from the shifter (yes, I am a proud slush-box owner). A simple (albeit careful) bend may do the trick but I'd rather it be a little less of a mickey-moused solution - any ideas?

Thanks.
I'm not as tall as you but have the same complaint. It hasn't been sufficiently annoying for me to modify the car. I did "undress" the handbrake lever to get a good look and evaluate several possibilities. My preferred path would be to use an electrician's conduit bender (often called a Hickey) to bend the handle toward the passenger side of the car. There's lots of clearance with regard to the shift lever. The risk is that the push-button hand brake release mechanism might be pinched and not work properly.

I like the Hickey bend idea because it would take only a few minutes (no disassembly required) and because it would be easily reversible.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:41 PM

Yea i know this thread is hella old but i was searchin and this was the closest i could find to my problem.

Does anyone have any futher ideas for this ? I'm not too inclined to use said suggestions and was wondering if there was a way to get a shorter brake handle or something. I'm 6'6 and already have to do a considerably shift in body position to drive the car ( due to my knee forcefully braced up against the center console ) however, if i would be able to shorten/lower the height of the e-brake handle, i would be able to bend my leg to where it wouldn't have me wanting to sell my max

Does anyone have any pics of aftermarket e-brake handles installed on their car ? Or any pics of make-shift ghettoriggings ? I mean, i have a 2k3 but i'm sure it looks somewhat close.

THANKS
Old 04-24-2008, 07:23 AM
Whatchyou say?

O L D only starts to open this thread! WOW!!!!!

My suggestion on this is to re-mold (using fiberglass) a different center console and move the E brake to the pass side (like on an RX-7) and move the cup holders to the drivers side. Other suggestion would be to drive a different car, or cut off 8 - 12 inchs of your legs.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:29 AM
Horizontally opposed.

At first I went..."daniel b martin?! I've only heard of him as a legend, I thought he was long gone!" then I realized it was a 7 year old thread...

and this is the first time I've ever gotten to say this....being short FTW.

Last edited by mowgli29; 04-24-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:38 AM

get a bigger vehicle.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:15 PM

Thanks JTZ for tryna help. Unfotunately, i'm tryna get something way cheaper lol. I'm not the fabricating type and i'm sure that wouldn't be like 40 dollar job ( like something on ebay would cost ).

Also, thanks to the snypa, WAY TO BE USELESS IN A THREAD ! thumbs up to you guy ! ....