4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Intake Problem (Check engine light on)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 08:00 AM

Intake Problem (Check engine light on)

Just yesterday i installed my intake. I bought a frankencar midpipe with a cone filter. I knew basically what i was doing but didnt know what one wire was. So i started looking through the .org and found this website.
http://www.brianv.net/mods/filter/
I read through and saw that i did everything right step by step. It was the 2nd picture from the bottom i saw what i was looking for.
"Now you'll find a plug that does not have anything to plug into. Inside the air box you'll see a sensor. You need to remove that sensor by unscrewing the two small Phillip's screws. Once the piece is removed you can attach the connectors together and leave the piece dangling in the engine bay. I'm pretty sure it is just an air temperature sensor. Thus, it will get a semi-accurate read by just being in the engine bay. I used tie-wraps to prevent it from moving."
BINGO! That extra plug that didnt go anywhere. That was my question. So i just tied it with tie-wraps. I went for a test drive around the block and everything was fine. I pushed it like 5 times just b/c it sounds amazing. Then Today when i started my car the check engine light is on. I went back and found 1 of the senors wasnt pushed in all the way. So i fixed everything and it is still on. Has anyone had check engine light come on after installing a intake? What should I do?

Please Help
Old 12-24-2003, 08:08 AM

Reset it and don't post 5 times
Old 12-24-2003, 08:14 AM
Tha Snatcher

Originally Posted by MaxAttack
Just yesterday i installed my intake. I bought a frankencar midpipe with a cone filter. I knew basically what i was doing but didnt know what one wire was. So i started looking through the .org and found this website.
http://www.brianv.net/mods/filter/
I read through and saw that i did everything right step by step. It was the 2nd picture from the bottom i saw what i was looking for.
"Now you'll find a plug that does not have anything to plug into. Inside the air box you'll see a sensor. You need to remove that sensor by unscrewing the two small Phillip's screws. Once the piece is removed you can attach the connectors together and leave the piece dangling in the engine bay. I'm pretty sure it is just an air temperature sensor. Thus, it will get a semi-accurate read by just being in the engine bay. I used tie-wraps to prevent it from moving."
BINGO! That extra plug that didnt go anywhere. That was my question. So i just tied it with tie-wraps. I went for a test drive around the block and everything was fine. I pushed it like 5 times just b/c it sounds amazing. Then Today when i started my car the check engine light is on. I went back and found 1 of the senors wasnt pushed in all the way. So i fixed everything and it is still on. Has anyone had check engine light come on after installing a intake? What should I do?

Please Help

My CEL came on when i installed mine. Just live with it...Mine when away after 1-2 weeks of normal driving!
Old 12-24-2003, 08:20 AM
Kevlo for President

Please Delete Your Other Posts.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:23 AM

How do i delete them...Im extremely sorry
Old 12-24-2003, 09:25 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

did you check your air intake temp sensor? it is alittle wire and connector that was on the black stock intake. if you know how run some codes and tell use was you got....

to delete a thread go to the post you made and hit edit....then delete.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by ManualMaxima
did you check your air intake temp sensor? it is alittle wire and connector that was on the black stock intake. if you know how run some codes and tell use was you got....

to delete a thread go to the post you made and hit edit....then delete.
Yeah...thats what i need to know. Where do you put your air temp sensor so the check engine click doesnt come on? Or do i just need to go to my mechanic shop and get the codes clear so the check engine light goes away.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:44 AM

if everything is ok then the light should go off with in 2 weeks...if not go to dealer asap..
Old 12-25-2003, 09:52 AM

Just take out the air temp sensor from the stock intake and plug it in to the wire. Then zip tie the sensor near the cone intake so it can sense the air temp After you do this, reset the CEL and it should stay off

AutoZone will check and clear the CEL for free
Old 12-25-2003, 10:34 PM

yeah im going to autozone tomorrow
Old 12-25-2003, 10:56 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

i put it inside the filter. just sliped it between the filter and the adaptor. that fixed it for me.