4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brake noise and other problems 95 max

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2001, 10:04 AM
mad_max_95_GLE

Danial B., any suggestions on this prob?

1. The brakes on 95 Max make a loud sort of grinding noise under regular braking after travelling at highway speeds for more than 10 minutes. I've had the brakes looked at 3 times from a shop I trust and all 3 times they have told me I have plenty of pad left. What could it be?
2. Also at speeds over 55mph I get high pitched wind noise from the windshield. I suspect it is not the factory windshield. How can I tell and is there any way to fix the noise aside from installing a new one.
3. Above 70mph I get a moderate vibration I think from the front end? Tires and wheels out of balance?

Old 03-02-2001, 09:37 AM
mad_max_95_GLE

Daniel B, any thoughts on this problem?

I'm mistified by this problem. Could the rotors be heating up on long drives and warping causing the brakes to make noise when I go to stop.

Old 03-02-2001, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by mad_max_95_GLE
1. The brakes on 95 Max make a loud sort of grinding noise under regular braking after travelling at highway speeds for more than 10 minutes. I've had the brakes looked at 3 times from a shop I trust and all 3 times they have told me I have plenty of pad left. What could it be?
2. Also at speeds over 55mph I get high pitched wind noise from the windshield. I suspect it is not the factory windshield. How can I tell and is there any way to fix the noise aside from installing a new one.
3. Above 70mph I get a moderate vibration I think from the front end? Tires and wheels out of balance?
Nobody responded, and you made a second request, so I'll make some guesses.

You didn't specify if your car has ABS, so I'll assume it doesn't. Make sure the thin metal brake pad shims are installed. If the pads look glazed (shiny surface), rough them up with a coarse grade of emery cloth. Ditto for the rotors. I'd also use a hand file to put a chamfer on the leading and trailing edges of the pads. Apply Blue Goo compound before reassembly.

Pinpoint the source of the sound by using a small-diameter rubber vacuum hose as a listening device. Have someone else drive while you trace the periphery of the windshield with the tube. When you find the source of the sound examine the gasketing. Perhaps you will find a small gap which can be filled with weatherstrip adhesive.

A second method would be to apply a strip of duct tape over the windshield gasket, on the outside of the car. Put a strip only on the top, then only on the bottom, then only the left side, then only the right side. Home in on the spot which generates the objectionable whistling sound. If you find any kind of gap, goop it up with some sort of cement.

- tire out of balance
- tire out of round
- tire defect (bulge or tread ply separation)
- bent wheel
- bent hub
- worn tie rod ends
- worn ball joints

A good procedure would be to have all four wheels balanced. If the symptom persists, rotate the tires exchanging fronts and rears. If the symptom changes, it is related to wheels or tires. If the symptom remains, it is related to a vehicle defect.