4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Sh** The wife broke my antenna

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2000, 06:22 PM

I can not believe she took my Max through a car wash and broke the damn antenna. There is a piece left and I am afraid it will damage motor. Does any one know where the fuse is to the antenna. I am afraid it is throught the radio and I will have to cut it at the base of the antenna or something. Please Help

Thanks in advance

Brett in Texas
Old 09-19-2000, 08:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by nismomaxse97
I can not believe she took my Max through a car wash and broke the damn antenna. There is a piece left and I am afraid it will damage motor. Does any one know where the fuse is to the antenna. I am afraid it is throught the radio and I will have to cut it at the base of the antenna or something. Please Help

Thanks in advance

Brett in Texas
On my 95, the antenna went through a car wash when it was only like 6 months old, and it wasn't that clean of a break, But the entire antenna was gone but there was like a couple cm of it that was left and sotra flared so it wouldn't retract. It was like this for a good 4 years before I replaced it when I bought the car and it didn't hurt the motor at all. I don't know where the fuse is, but if there isn't one, I don't think you will have to worry about the motor. The only thing I would worry about is if the plastic chain that raises the antenna got disconnected and is now getting twisted in the gears. They said it doesn't happen that often, but if it does you pretty much have to put in a new motor.
Old 09-20-2000, 05:39 AM

here ya go

hey nismomax
this might help
on my cousins 93 Q45 his antenna got stuck wouldn't go down but the motor kept goin..

this is what i did
go to the trunk take off the panels on the right side where the antenna is look for the wires goin to the motor(should be clips) and just take it off... one of the wires should be power to the antenna the other is for reception..

that stopped the motor..
when u get a new antenna just plug the power back in ..

Ant
Old 09-20-2000, 06:42 PM

Its funny how so many people can do the same thing. When my max was about a year old I did the same thing. It was so messed up after that. It isn't that expensive to replace if you go through the right people.
Old 09-20-2000, 06:54 PM
is invisible

Get a new antenna...

or get a new wife. just joking...
Old 09-20-2000, 09:19 PM

Re: Get a new antenna...

Originally posted by CoolMax
Hey Cool

LOL
Well the new antenna would be less maintenance than the wiff. But the antenna can not cook or do laundry. hehehehe
Old 09-20-2000, 09:28 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Adidas_Boy

On my 95, the antenna went through a car wash when it was only like 6 months old, and it wasn't that clean of a break, But the entire antenna was gone but there was like a couple cm of it that was left and sotra flared so it wouldn't retract. It was like this for a good 4 years before I replaced it when I bought the car and it didn't hurt the motor at all. I don't know where the fuse is, but if there isn't one, I don't think you will have to worry about the motor. The only thing I would worry about is if the plastic chain that raises the antenna got disconnected and is now getting twisted in the gears. They said it doesn't happen that often, but if it does you pretty much have to put in a new motor.

Adidas, can just the antenna be replaced or do I have to buy the whole assembly as one?

Thanks In advance
Brett
Old 09-20-2000, 11:17 PM

The antenna can just be replaced, it is like $100 if you go through the dealer though
Old 09-23-2000, 12:01 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

i have an extra antenna if you want one. i bought it off ebay a while ago, the jerk who sold it to me said the motor was included, but it wasn't. so not i just have the telescoping antenna, but no motor.

if you want it. i can sell it to you.
Old 09-23-2000, 08:32 AM

uh oh

now i'm invading the 4th gen forum.

well 5th gen antennas are now printed into the rear windshield. it doesn't work that great. the antenna install is real easy tho. i did it 3 times for the cars in the house. my mom broke two. hers and my dads. my bro broke one on our old grand cherokee. my mom broke one by hitting our neibors big boulder. another in a car wash. my bro car wash. i think you can get a amplified antenna thingy while your replacing it tho. i remember hearing something about it. or get a super dooper long one. hahah better receptioin but in' not sure if it'll break at high windspeeds. i think you should carefully snip the antenna off before the bend. and use pliers to squeeze it where if flared out where you snipped it. or if you have one handy, use a dremel. you can get a black antenna too. they aren't always silver. or maybe you can get those stubby beamer antennas that no longer retract.. that'll be cool
Old 09-25-2000, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by Chebosto
i have an extra antenna if you want one. i bought it off ebay a while ago, the jerk who sold it to me said the motor was included, but it wasn't. so not i just have the telescoping antenna, but no motor.

if you want it. i can sell it to you.
How much you want Chebosto

Let me know, I just removed everything but the base and it still gets excellent reception. I simply yanked the antenna and the line out from the motor.
Old 09-26-2000, 06:57 AM
TommyBoiSxty9

Re: Re: Get a new antenna...

Originally posted by nismomaxse97
Originally posted by CoolMax
Hey Cool

LOL
Well the new antenna would be less maintenance than the wiff. But the antenna can not cook or do laundry. hehehehe
I always thought it was kinda expensive to have a wife just to cook clean & carry things in her purse for your... kinda like some sort of REALLY expensive swiss army knife
Maid in 2-3x's a week much cheaper LoL
~tom