4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Where exactly is the vehicle speed sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 08:46 AM

Where exactly is the vehicle speed sensor?

My Hayes manual has this little crappy pic of it and I can't find it. I know it's attached to my tranny gear box but where? Also, what do you guys use to jack-up your maximas to be worked on? I have ramps but I don't wanna scratch up the front bumper. I have a 96 GLE w/ automatic.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:53 AM
Custom User Title...

i just reached from the top of the engine bay. it took forever for anyone to answer me until someone here sold me a fsm. i removed the stock air box and all it's components to make it more easily reached. turns out it wasn't even my speed sensor that was broken though. i'll get you the thread for it with pics. did you get a code for it? i think it's my speedo head that's the problem because i have to tap it to get it to work again. i have a spare that i'm gonna switch it with soon.

i also have a working used speed sensor if you're interested. anyways, i'll get you the thread in a few.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:58 AM
Custom User Title...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....t=speed+sensor

here's the thread, the pic that was semi helpful is gone for some reason. anyways, a big tip to finding it is look for a thin white tube. it is a wire cover that attaches to it/is a part of it. look in from the top right side of your engine near the airbox & fuel filter and you'll see it if you look around.

sorry if this is unclear as i just woke up.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:02 AM

Thanks a lot! I have the sensor, got it from a dealer for $27 (Buddy works there). Again, thanks a lot. One last question, do I lube it with tranny fluid or is there some other grease I need to use? On the 0-ring I mean.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:28 PM

Well, I got it fitted in and the sensor works great. High RPM shifts are a breeze now. Also the car seems a bit for responsive on acceleration. Maybe thats just me though .
Few tips for people doing this sort of thing:
*Find the white cord, it will lead you home.
*Be CAREFUL when removing the wiring harness, you break those wires you gotta fix them and maybe buy a new harness.
*There were three plugs on a metal breacketr attached to the harness, I removed the whole bracket in order to get better access to the wiring harness.
*To remove the sensor plug I used a (very) small flat head screwdriver to pry back the lever holding it on. It saves me and my fingers some pain.
*Take the airbox off and move it. Don't try to reach in, that hurts.
*Never raise your head in victory too quickly. That REALLY hurts like hell

Thanks all.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:46 AM

Well hopefully this will help me out too. First time the check engine light came on it said vehicle speed sensor. Then a few day later it came on. It has gone off and came back on several times in the last month. I'll try checking voltage and cleaning the conections. My speedo still works even when the CEL is on which reads VSS. Nick
Old 01-07-2004, 04:34 PM

Mine worked also and I just replaced the sensor. The engine light is not on anymore and my speedo seems to be a bit more responsive to speed changes. (Was a bit sluggish and seemed to be off. Maybe it's just me.) Make sure you nail the ***** down GOOD. Leaked tranny fluid SUCKS. (Sorry to bring back a dead thread.)