4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Daniel Martin - Question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2001, 04:02 PM

Sorry to bug you...I did perform a search which did not produce satisfactory findings. I am in the process of installing new 6 1/2 speakers in my 1995 Maxima GXE (non bose). I am not a big audio guy but one of my speakers died (probably due to age) and figure I should just upgrade. I understand how to replace the fronts AND rears (removing the rear seat and all). BUT I cannot remove the rear deck b/c of the Third brake light mount. How do I detach and/or dismantle the third brake light for removal of the rear deck? Any ideas?
Old 03-03-2001, 04:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This one's easy. Pull the brake light towards the front and it should pop right off. Then just disconnect.

Next time, put your problem into the title. When people saw D.B. Martin's name in the title, they assumed it was a tech question when it turned out to be something most people have done already.

"How to remove third brake light" would have been a lot more helpful and you would have gotten an answer in about 30 seconds.
Old 03-03-2001, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by kratz74
Sorry to bug you...I did perform a search which did not produce satisfactory findings. I am in the process of installing new 6 1/2 speakers in my 1995 Maxima GXE (non bose). I am not a big audio guy but one of my speakers died (probably due to age) and figure I should just upgrade. I understand how to replace the fronts AND rears (removing the rear seat and all). BUT I cannot remove the rear deck b/c of the Third brake light mount. How do I detach and/or dismantle the third brake light for removal of the rear deck? Any ideas?
Calvin Lee gave the right answer. This technique is shown in the Owner's Manual in the section on replacing light bulbs.
Old 03-04-2001, 10:51 AM

Thanks. I appreciate your help. If you have legal questions-throw 'em my way...
Old 03-04-2001, 11:59 AM

"Now serving #..."

I struck a bump in the road here in Memphis, TN. It was not visible as a road hazard, but it was bad enough to slightly bend one of my (discontinued!) wheels. So, unless I decide to live with a little shimmy, I have to buy a whole new set of wheels. OUCH.

The City agreed the road defect was not visible, and did not assign any blame to me for the damage to my wheel. They even took pictures. The City *thanked me* for reporting the bump (!), and repaired the roadway within 48 hours.

The City also said they are not legally bound to pay for damages to my vehicle caused by road defects unless they are aware of the defect *beforehand*! They claim they were not aware of this particular defect until I reported it, so they are not legally bound to pay me for my damages.

What kind of policy is that? It seems to me the City is responsible for maintaining a *proactive* road maintenance program to protect its citizenry, rather than using us as sacrificial lambs to find road defects! The City could deny knowledge of all defects to avoid responsibility! If I had been going any faster, or if the road surface had been wet, I could have lost control of my vehicle and crashed into a bridge abutment.

I am not litigious, but I think I deserve a fair settlement for my damages. What can I do? Please advise. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2001, 12:34 PM

IANAL

Originally posted by bullseye
"Now serving #..."

I struck a bump in the road here in Memphis, TN. It was not visible as a road hazard, but it was bad enough to slightly bend one of my (discontinued!) wheels. So, unless I decide to live with a little shimmy, I have to buy a whole new set of wheels. OUCH.

The City agreed the road defect was not visible, and did not assign any blame to me for the damage to my wheel. They even took pictures. The City *thanked me* for reporting the bump (!), and repaired the roadway within 48 hours.

The City also said they are not legally bound to pay for damages to my vehicle caused by road defects unless they are aware of the defect *beforehand*! They claim they were not aware of this particular defect until I reported it, so they are not legally bound to pay me for my damages.

What kind of policy is that? It seems to me the City is responsible for maintaining a *proactive* road maintenance program to protect its citizenry, rather than using us as sacrificial lambs to find road defects! The City could deny knowledge of all defects to avoid responsibility! If I had been going any faster, or if the road surface had been wet, I could have lost control of my vehicle and crashed into a bridge abutment.

I am not litigious, but I think I deserve a fair settlement for my damages. What can I do? Please advise. Thanks.
IANAL! Spelled out, I am not a lawyer! The following is a layman's opinion.

I have to buy a whole new set of wheels.
No. You have to get one damaged wheel repaired. There are outfits which advertise in the motor-head magazines. The following two were picked at random. They will repair your damaged rim.

Wheels America
1-888-434-9746

Wheel Collision Center
1-800-292-7467
http://www.wheelcollision.com

What kind of policy is that?
Common.

It seems to me the City is responsible for maintaining a *proactive* road maintenance program to protect its citizenry ...
This is wishful thinking on your part. We don't live in a risk-free world.

What can I do?
Get your damaged wheel repaired at your own cost.
Old 03-04-2001, 01:53 PM

I hear you, DBM.

My request to the City for assistance is humble, honest and above board. It is based on correspondence with OZ, which I summarize below. If the City does not help me, I certainly will not pursue a lawsuit.

Thanks for the references on wheel repair, but I recently corresponded directly with OZ Racing, and they specifically advised *against* repairing the damaged wheel. Can I have a slightly-damaged wheel safely/fully repaired or not?

If so, I will not ask the City for help. I'll just have the wheel fixed. If not, then I still have 4 new wheels to buy, unless I am successful in a search for a good used wheel w/ the right size, style, and offset. (Needle in a haystack?)

Please advise. Thanks again. Bullseye sends.
Old 03-04-2001, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by bullseye
... Can I have a slightly-damaged wheel safely/fully repaired or not? ...
My Maxima has steel wheels so I've never used one of these wheel repair services. IMHO slight damage can be fully repaired.
Old 03-04-2001, 02:08 PM

Thank you......
Old 03-05-2001, 07:00 AM

You are SOL!

Your wheel damage will not be paid by the city and it would cost you big bucks to fight it. Most municipalities can only be sued if you follow "different" rules. First you must file a claim with the city and give them a period of time to investigate the matter. Then, you can file suit but your statutes of limitations are usually shortened and petitions may only be filed in District court (no Small claims court). In a nutshell - it will cost you thousands to get them to pay for your wheel. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Old 03-05-2001, 07:15 PM

Re: You are SOL!

Your wheel damage will not be paid by the city and it would cost you big bucks to fight it. Most municipalities can only be sued if you follow "different" rules. First you must file a claim with the city and give them a period of time to investigate the matter. Then, you can file suit but your statutes of limitations are usually shortened and petitions may only be filed in District court (no Small claims court). In a nutshell - it will cost you thousands to get them to pay for your wheel. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Looks like the sacrificial lamb is in need of a O-Z Racing 16 x 7.5 Monte Carlo rim. Or maybe a new set of Volks... Thank you very much for your reply. Bullseye sends.