4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Removing the Center Console in search of Pepsi

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 07:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Removing the Center Console in search of Pepsi

I spilled a pepsi in my center console and now it takes forever to shift the car out of park. I just have to keep trying till I get it right. Anyway, I figure that if I am able to open up the center console, I might be able to get at where the problem is. A mec told me to clean it with brake cleaner. Another told me rubbing alcohol...
I guess my question is where is the CELINIOD (sp) located in this car? If I just pull out the console, would I be able to find it right there or do I have to go into a shifter box? Is the celiniod even the problem that I have?
Not too familiar with cars, so a response in layman terms would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Maxima 95
Old 01-08-2004, 07:46 AM
Hooooooonda.....

Maybe the pepsi is frozen causing the trouble with shifting. The solenoid is there, somewhere. Just open it up and sprayaway.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok, I found a site that shows me how to remove the console as if I'm installing a sterio. At work now, but it looks like I can remove the plastic around the gear shift. Is this where I need to be to find the seliniod, or do I need to get into a box under the shifter?

Thanks
Old 01-08-2004, 08:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Waterproof
ok, I found a site that shows me how to remove the console as if I'm installing a sterio. At work now, but it looks like I can remove the plastic around the gear shift. Is this where I need to be to find the seliniod, or do I need to get into a box under the shifter?

Thanks
What solenoid are you talking about?
Old 01-08-2004, 08:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not sure. Someone told me that there is a seliniod that moves when I hit the break. This allows the gear shift to unlock so that I can shift out of park. They told me that this seliniod was probably jammed up, and if I cleaned it, my worries would be over. It seemed reasonable to me, but I'm not sure if this is right or not.
Again, any advice that could be given would be great.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Pry off the plastic first and see what's going on down there.

At this point, everything is speculation. It's easy to pry off the plastic piece and take a look.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:59 AM
Maxima95Tuner

Is it doing it in all gears, or just when you shift from park. If it does it for all gears, then it's probably not that solenoid. Try taking the console off and just cleaning off the linkages and everythiing else under there. It worked for me when I spilled coke in mine.

Old 01-08-2004, 09:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It happens just when shifting from park. What did you use to clean it? Brake cleaner?
Old 01-08-2004, 09:05 AM
Maxima95Tuner

I just used a small amount of water and a clean rag.

I wouldnt use brake cleaner, because if there is anything in there that is lubed up, brake cleaner will suck the oil or lubricant right out of it.

Old 01-08-2004, 09:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok. Thanks. I'll try that.

Thanks all for the replies
Old 01-08-2004, 12:07 PM
Maxima95Tuner

No problem

Old 01-08-2004, 01:20 PM

Thanks
Could you post the link? I'm looking to open up the console as well.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalNisMax2.htm
Old 01-08-2004, 01:42 PM

awesome link!
Old 01-09-2004, 09:10 PM

Not sure. Someone told me that there is a seliniod that moves when I hit the break. This allows the gear shift to unlock so that I can shift out of park. They told me that this seliniod was probably jammed up, and if I cleaned it, my worries would be over. It seemed reasonable to me, but I'm not sure if this is right or not.
Again, any advice that could be given would be great.
Soda pop, when partially dried out is best described as glue. Hot water with dish soap and toothbrush. Use a wet/dry vac to suck out the water and the mess. White lithium grease to lubricate.

There is no solinoid, shift lockout cable from the ignition switch. (Not the brake pedal.) The only switch at the auto tranny shifter is the OD. Make sure it moves freely. If there is a connection from the brake pedal, it ain't in here.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:34 PM

There is a shift-lock solenoid that releases when the brake pedal is pushed. Pressing the brake disengages the solenoid electromagnetically, thus allowing you to shift out of park. I once shorted the fuse to the solenoid on my Honda Accord (I have since sold the Honda). Pepsi may be gumming things up, but probably not how your mechanic explained. You can't just go cleaning the solenoid because the lever that releases the shift lock is the only part that is exposed. The solenoid itself (the part that may be gummy inside) is typically sealed. If you are sure that this is the problem, you may consider purchasing a new one from a junk yard (expect to pay around $US 5-10). It is not too difficult to pry up the plastic that surrounds the "gear shift box"--the difficult part is figuring out how to get to the solenoid, but it should not be too bad. Once you have the plastic cover off, you should insert your key and press the brak. Listen for the click of the solenoid as it retracts and watch for moving parts. Search for the spot where the solenoid locks with the gear shifter. You'll find it.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Fixed!
Thanks all for the info. Luckily it wasn't the seliniod, but just the pepsi sticking up the gears. I cleaned it with water and used a little brake cleaner too. Had to let it sit for a while after the cleaning, but its seems as good as new now.

Thinking about cleaning the starter next.