4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Maxima Headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 11:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Maxima Headers

What can I do about getting new headers for my car?
Old 01-08-2004, 12:05 PM
How 'bout them cliffs?

Originally Posted by Tom Burgess
What can I do about getting new headers for my car?

www.budgetexhaust.com
call them. order a Y-pipe for your car. including shipping, its about $180.

when u get it, install it. ENJOY it.

so so simple

it should get you ~15hp at the wheels.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by dmBK
www.budgetexhaust.com
call them. order a Y-pipe for your car. including shipping, its about $180.

when u get it, install it. ENJOY it.

so so simple

it should get you ~15hp at the wheels.
umm, he said headers not ypipe

YOu should get the ypipe if you don't have it already. Don't waste your money on new headers. I think JWT makes them but they are tons of $$ and from what I hear the gains are not worth the $$. Our factory headers are good enough.
-Paul
Old 01-08-2004, 12:30 PM
^ Jeff™

Tom - Stay tuned before you buy the y-pipe. There may be a new contender in the header market coming soon.

Everyone goes off of the JWT Header #s and are very pessimistic towards gains that might be proven by a new company.

Stone Header/Y-pipe combo
Old 01-08-2004, 01:14 PM
Hooooooonda.....

The stone Headers have been out for a few months. People got screwed a few months ago when he failed to show dyno numbers. Nothing special and gains over a y-pipe will be small. Also what JWT headers?
Old 01-08-2004, 01:19 PM

Headers will not show big gains over y-pipe.

Y-pipe=$180-$300
Headers=$650-$800

Headers probally only show 1-3 hp over y-pipe on a N/A car but they show big gains for supercharged car.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Big D
The stone Headers have been out for a few months. People got screwed a few months ago when he failed to show dyno numbers. Nothing special and gains over a y-pipe will be small. Also what JWT headers?
my bad. I did say "I think".
-Paul
Old 01-08-2004, 01:55 PM
^ Jeff™

Originally Posted by Big D
I wasn't sure about what kind of Headers were out before...I was just going off of what was posted above.

As far as people getting screwed the only one that got screwed was Nashua when the test vehicle person never got a dyno done and basically got the headers/y-pipe for free.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:13 PM
Banned

nashuhasthwedynorweasultas
ihvwethwedynorweasultas
mykweybordiasbrokwen
Old 01-08-2004, 02:15 PM
Hooooooonda.....

That is true Noshua got screwed but so did everybody else wanting headers. The guy just bailed on him, or so he says. As far as anyone knows Noshua could've gotten the dyno sheet and didn't like the numbers they showed so he just made up some story. I don''t believe that happened, I don't think he'd do that. Let's just hope this time we get a test car with an honorable owner.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:21 PM

The answer to all the newbie's power mods questions:
http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaPerformance
Old 01-08-2004, 06:00 PM
How 'bout them cliffs?

Originally Posted by TheMax95
umm, he said headers not ypipe

YOu should get the ypipe if you don't have it already. Don't waste your money on new headers. I think JWT makes them but they are tons of $$ and from what I hear the gains are not worth the $$. Our factory headers are good enough.
-Paul

i was CORRECT by not going into the header discussion, just look at all the posts above. i just gave him the "cliff notes".
Old 01-08-2004, 06:46 PM

Cattman is making headers Cattman headers, not sure if there out or when they'll be out tho.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by InfamousG
Cattman is making headers Cattman headers, not sure if there out or when they'll be out tho.
They are out, Cattman usually doe snot update his webpage, always best to call Mr. Catts.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:52 PM
Banned

listen up.
nashua got the results of the headers. he did not get the results on a floppy as he wanted so he could analyze the graph...i guess. there is a paper graph out there. hell its sitting at my buddies house who has the headers installed on his max. if you wouldn't pass state inspection, get an EGR port error code everytime, you would be angry too and possibly blow off the guy who had your car down for 3 days and then nashua asked my buddy to give him 300 bucks because the labor installing them was so high. he can't sell his car or reregister/inspect it. also i know what the dyno's gave but i am bound by my word which i gave to nashua, to not tell what they produced.

pm me for further details.
nashua got screwed. and so did my friend. i say its even.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:13 PM

Thx spanishrice, i didnt know there out
Old 01-09-2004, 01:56 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by Torgus
listen up.
if you wouldn't pass state inspection, get an EGR port error code everytime, you would be angry too and possibly blow off the guy who had your car down for 3 days and then nashua asked my buddy to give him 300 bucks because the labor installing them was so high. he can't sell his car or reregister/inspect it.
You're friend is an idiot if he voluntered without understanding the potential problems related to headers. Many things can go wrong when you're testing something new. You really can't blame Nashua for that. Also, aren't the regs such in the Northeast that even running a y-pipe will cause you to fail inspection since you're modified the exhaust and cats? Bright shiny headers are an instant red flag for anyone inspecting a late model car. Your friend should have researched this before doing it. If your friend really wants to get rid of the EGR code then buy a Chiltons/Hayne manual, find the resistance values of the EGR, and put a $.25 resistor in the EGR harness so that the ECU thinks everything is working fine. It's as simple as that.

Dave
Old 01-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dave B
You're friend is an idiot if he voluntered without understanding the potential problems related to headers. Many things can go wrong when you're testing something new. You really can't blame Nashua for that. Also, aren't the regs such in the Northeast that even running a y-pipe will cause you to fail inspection since you're modified the exhaust and cats? Bright shiny headers are an instant red flag for anyone inspecting a late model car. Your friend should have researched this before doing it. If your friend really wants to get rid of the EGR code then buy a Chiltons/Hayne manual, find the resistance values of the EGR, and put a $.25 resistor in the EGR harness so that the ECU thinks everything is working fine. It's as simple as that.

Dave

my friend was guarenteed a set of headers at no cost(other then 2 dynos) that would work. nashua wanted to charge him 300 bucks. they do not work as promised. its easy to pass with a y pipe, headers are fine as long as you pass emmisions. when testing something new then wouldn't it make sense for nashua to have fixed the problem he has, no becuase that means he(nashua) has to pay to have the rear headers removed fixed replaced and hope the fix actually works, another 600 bucks!?!? if i'm helping him prototype wouldn't it have been nice if what was being prototyped actually worked, not only correctly but made gains? when someone says something is 100% and guarenteed to work and then it doesn't work and costs you 300 bucks and 3 days without your car i'd be ****ed to. sorry you can't see it from his or my viewpoint. sure you can make the ecu think its running right but shouldn't it run correctly to start with? i don't like fooling computers of anysort its a hackjob, as is the job that was done on the headers.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:23 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Noshua isn't the most trustworthy person. He just ripped off some design that was sold on EBAY a year ago or so without making sure it was even a good design. I would even bet he had NO INPUT on the design of the headers or anything else except TRYING to sell them. The welds are crap, the inside of the headers is very rough and the lest he could do is try to get them smoothed out.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:56 AM
Banned

from what i know of headers, which isn't a great deal they should all be of equal length correct? i'v seen these in person and the pics show it too they are of different lengths, both mechanics when we brought this to them to test fit and get estimates said that as well. also they are somewhat smooth but i'v seen smoother. pointless upgrade on a NA engine.