4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

YOU'RE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS...Big-rig tore through my Max

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2001, 10:08 AM
CustomMax

Yestarday my car was parked in a parking lot across from my friend's uncle's auto shop. We were standing across the street and saw this big truck toting a 4 ton load try to make a right turn into the gates of this business across the street. The load swung around and ripped through the back of my maxima turning my car almost completely around...Anyway, the guy driving it worked for this guy who ownes a multi-million dollar company. I spoke with the owner and he told me to get an estimate and bring it by his office monday, and he would write me a check. I called the police and got a police report and have all the information. Now here is my question...The back of the trunk (the part that opens up) is all dented in, and there is very minor damage done to the actual body of the car right above the rear outer tailight. What are my options as far as getting a shop to write me an estimate? I saw a maxima with IS300 altezza lights custom fit into it. Could I get a shop to write me an estimate for that and take it to the guy? What would you guys do to get the maximum value out of this situation? Any advice is greatly appreciate, thanks in advance.

-Custom-

Old 03-04-2001, 10:57 AM

wrecked Maxima

As one who has done quite a few rebuilders and having rebuilt my Maxima twice, you have got some leg work and phone work to do. I would call the guy right away on Monday am and tell him it will take you several days to get an estimate. I then would call around and ask a few body men who does the best and most expensive work. I would then go to several and hope their numbers are high. He probably knows that it will be difficult for you to get a quick estimate. Just my 2 cents. Dan
Old 03-04-2001, 11:26 AM

Friend,

Your question, which indicates your intent to make this an unfair payday, is unethical. If the damage done to your car represents an opportunity to get additional work done, get three estimates, accept fair settlement, and put your *own* money with it to modify your car. That's what you should do.

Anything else just smells bad, especially since settlement was offered to you so quickly and unselfishly. My .02...
Old 03-04-2001, 12:54 PM

You have to take into account the inconvenience you have to deal with. Your time is valueable... I say make the most of it.
Old 03-04-2001, 01:09 PM
ybelm620

i too would shop around and get the most expensive and best job to, why not he owns a multi million dollor business, and i am sure i am not the only one who would do that.

Old 03-04-2001, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Black97GLEnj
You have to take into account the inconvenience you have to deal with. Your time is valueable... I say make the most of it.
I agree.

But why not ask for a "little extra" in the settlement to cover? Think about what your *true* related costs are going to be. Give them a specific number. Any reasonable request would likely be honored. They would rather settle now than go to court. Give them a chance to be a hero. It will be good, and above board. You may even be surprised: You could end up with a *bigger* settlement this way... Good luck.
Old 03-04-2001, 02:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you're looking for a high estimate, try A1 Auto Body in Deerfield Beach on Powerline Road. They do good work, but their prices are rather high. I doubt they would know anything about the Altezza lights though.
Old 03-04-2001, 07:58 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

You must be in S Fla, Broward County

Since the Weasel mention Powerline Rd. I agree with one of the users when they mention being fare with this Muti-Million dollar person since he's willing to settle and handle his responsibility quickly. Don't forget to mention to this guy you will need a rental car while your ride is in the body shop. I once lived in Coral Springs 5yrs back, now I'm planning on moving back to Fla from N. Cali Bay area. Cheers
Old 03-04-2001, 10:02 PM

I Disagree

When your car is in an accident, the damage in cost value is more than just the cost to fix it. Now when you want to sell your car, it's been in an accident; and noone wants to buy a car that was hit by an 18-wheeler.

In a regular accident, the person (insurance) pays what it costs to fix the car, it does not compensate you for the fact that now your car is not as good as new, and has been in an accident and therefore retail value has dropped. Not to mention body work of any type is noticable to the naked eye if looked at closly.

I would say in your case you actually won't get ripped off as much as you would in a regular accident. Would you have bought your car at the same price if the seller would have also included that oh it was in 1 accident; just a semi hit it.

-Nate

Originally posted by bullseye
Friend,

Your question, which indicates your intent to make this an unfair payday, is unethical. If the damage done to your car represents an opportunity to get additional work done, get three estimates, accept fair settlement, and put your *own* money with it to modify your car. That's what you should do.

Anything else just smells bad, especially since settlement was offered to you so quickly and unselfishly. My .02...