4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

may get a 5-speed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 01:02 AM

may get a 5-speed!!!

i may get a 5-speed in a couple of months for graduation and wont have to deal with my automatic..i know how to drive manual but never on a maxima! its gonna be a 4th gen and i just wanted to know the diff. i heard you get a lot more acceleration out of it and theyre just that much more fun to drive..i know im just making a dumb thread but im looking for a 4th gen...what year should i look for?? all i want is a standard!!
Old 01-17-2004, 02:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

As far as moding:

The 95-96's will accept a JWT ECU for a higher redline and more power. The main reason to get this would be the addition of a MEVI (Variable intake). If your not interested in the MEVI or heavy moding, this won't really be an issue.

Some 97's can also use the ECU, but may get engine codes. In 97 the exterior was re-designed

98's and 99's have slightly different interiors. The 99's cannot accept the JWT ECU, at least yet. In 99 the SE-L was available with a few little aesthetic additions. Some 99's have California emissions and don't accept some mods quite as well as Fed spec 99's or earlier models.

There's a ton more, but I'm tired and going to bed.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by MAXimumHP
As far as moding:

The 95-96's will accept a JWT ECU for a higher redline and more power. The main reason to get this would be the addition of a MEVI (Variable intake). If your not interested in the MEVI or heavy moding, this won't really be an issue.

Some 97's can also use the ECU, but may get engine codes. In 97 the exterior was re-designed

98's and 99's have slightly different interiors. The 99's cannot accept the JWT ECU, at least yet. In 99 the SE-L was available with a few little aesthetic additions. Some 99's have California emissions and don't accept some mods quite as well as Fed spec 99's or earlier models.

There's a ton more, but I'm tired and going to bed.
im not sure if im going for performance or show first...will add stuff first from my old max..like my tires and rims and possibly my grille..wee i get a manual!
Old 01-17-2004, 03:26 AM

how about spend a couple thousand and convert and use the money you saved and go turbo, sc, body kit, paint job ect ect....
Old 01-17-2004, 07:06 AM
Old Maxima Legend

95-96-97 look for those years ! if you not worried about go fast mods .. any of the amazing 4th gens will do !
Old 01-17-2004, 08:45 AM
Chassis Freak

This is my dilemma: I will be getting a 5-speed in a few months and I'd ideally get a 98 in great shape with low miles. But there seem to be a lot more 99s for sale, at least in the online listings. 97s and 98s can both take the JWT ECU with only minor issues, but not the 99s yet, correct? Here's my question: are the bells and whistles on the 99 nice enough to warrant just getting a 99 even though there's no ECU mod yet? I probably wouldn't be doing ECU until next year anyway. I guess what I need to know is what were the new features on the 99 SE?
Old 01-17-2004, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo
how about spend a couple thousand and convert and use the money you saved and go turbo, sc, body kit, paint job ect ect....
im not buying...if i had the money awesome conversion...this car is going to be given to a diff. family member but thrown back stock...its a graduation present..

oh yeah and i want a 98..cuz arent those the best for 4th gens?
Old 01-17-2004, 10:58 AM

imo 97s are the best 4th gens...I could be biased 'cuz I've got one, but uhhh... They rule
Old 01-17-2004, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by 97blackSE
imo 97s are the best 4th gens...I could be biased 'cuz I've got one, but uhhh... They rule

arent they lighter??
Old 01-17-2004, 09:25 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by 97blackSE

couldnt agree with you moreeeee
Old 01-17-2004, 10:30 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by MistaPeerez
arent they lighter??
The difference between all the 4th gens is around 10lbs if that. 95 was probably fastest cause of the lesser emission standards or crap like that.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:38 PM

I have a 95 SE 5-speed. I'd say its really fun to drive, the response from a 5-speed is more robust and you don't have to wait for that annoying lag from automatic tranny's. On the other hand, its not much fun when all you do is stop and go driving and that's pretty much how it is here driving in Los Angeles. Sometimes, things break up and you get a pretty long stretch of non-stop driving and that's when the rewards of owning a 5-speed comes in nicely.

If you are getting that car from a private party that you really don't know much about, see if he'll let you take the car to a trusted mechanic and have it inspected for any possible problems. If he pulls out some type of agreement that releases him of any fiduciary responsibilities should the car fall apart after you buy it, then that's your queue to really have the car inspected thoroughly before you drop your hard earned dollar because there's a lot of people out there that will screw you point blank, org member or not.

Here's a few things to inspect for:

1) Pull the spark plugs and inspect them, if there's too much oil on the plug, the valve cover gasket needs replacing. That's usually a $400 job from a dealer, probably half the price if you take it to a private mechanic.

2) Inspect the CV boots, if they are torn, they'll definitely need replacing ASAP otherwise prolong driving with torn boots can render the drive axles damaged and would need replacing too, very expensive repair there.

3) Inspect for leaks under the engine and transmission. Pay special attention around the transmission area, if you see leaks its probably the differential bearings, very very expensive repair.

4) While test driving, listen for clunks and other abnormal noises. If you feel some thuds coming from the shifter or if gears aren't catching enough, that could be bad syncros, another very very expensive repair.

5) If the clutch has a lot of play in it, its probably worn and need replacing. The clutch is hydraulic in our car and there's no way to adjust them since they automatically adjust as it wears. Another expensive repair that you don't want to get stuck with.

That's all I can think off right now. I know you can't cover all bases and there are defiinite risks from buying a used car, but by thorough inspection you can at least have the piece of mind and the confidence that you made the right choice. I'm sure some of the org members have something to contribute. Hope everything goes well with your purchase and I hope you get a good car that have been well maintained. Remember, watch out for those punks that will tell you that the car runs great and end up screwing you in the end.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:41 PM

the 95's are the lightest models from there on they just got heavier. But I will agree that the 97-99's look alot better than the 95-96's. They're just not as fast stock.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:01 AM

i MIGHT BE GETTING ONE TWO MY BOY WRECKED HIS CAR TWO DAYS AGO SO iLL SEE IF I CAN GET THE MONEY TOGETHER.