4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

need exhaust advice...after wreck...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 02:09 PM

need exhaust advice...after wreck...

As I posted a couple of days ago, someone rear-ended my max this past weekend. I need some advice on exhausts. Let me give you my stipulations, and you can tell me what you think I outta do:
1. I don't like a really loud car. I just want it to be fast withouth having to drown out all other noise in a tri-state area.
2. I don't mind used parts
3. Not sure of money to use from insurance yet

First, my OEM muffler has a hole or something in it after the wreck. I kind of have a hard time putting a new OEM one back on it. I am thinking about just having a catback (and new y-pipe) system put on there while I am repairing everything else. What do you think? If you think I should, what gains should I expect (y-pipe and catback together), and what is the quietest and cheapest set up that I can get. (I don't mind used, remember.)

Thanks,
Old 01-20-2004, 03:24 PM

I know

A Cattman Y-pipe is the best. (from my reserch anyway)It's made out of T-304 Stainless steel and is mandrle bent. Stay away from stillen Y-pipes I heard they sound like(Bees in a can) Warpspeed Y-pipe is pritty good also. If you want your ehxuast to give very good gains but not sound too loud your out of luck. One or the other, you kind of hafe to decide for your self. But thermall rapping of the pipe might help with the noise a little. Stock Y-pipes on maximas really suck, so any thing is an improvement, but I hear 10- 20hp. hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the info, icefishing. Cool screen name by the way.

I have heard that about bees in a can for the Stillen. I don't think I want that at all. However, I don't want to spend a lot on it, so Stillen is out anyway. ha ha.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:01 PM

I was also wondering if I should just get like a Stillen fron lip or something, with the money left over from the insurance.???????
Old 01-20-2004, 04:04 PM

I've heard the Apexi WS catback with stock muffler is quiet. Never heard it in person tho.

Ian
Old 01-20-2004, 04:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Black95Se
I've heard the Apexi WS catback with stock muffler is quiet. Never heard it in person tho.

Ian

The problem is the Apexi WS is for 95-96 Maximas only. I think you have to make some kind of modification to fit 97-99 Maximas. I had an Apexi WS before and it was very quiet. If you don't want loud, get the WS. Best catback IMO.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Cumalot
The problem is the Apexi WS is for 95-96 Maximas only. I think you have to make some kind of modification to fit 97-99 Maximas. I had an Apexi WS before and it was very quiet. If you don't want loud, get the WS. Best catback IMO.

Yeah, you have to have a hole put in for an additional o2 sensor if I remember right.

Ian
Old 01-21-2004, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Not to sound like an idiot, but what does the WS stand for?

Black95se, nice clean car, man!

Would I get the same hp gains with that catback system, with OEM muffler?(putting on y-pipe, of course)
Old 01-21-2004, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
Thanks for the comments, guys.

Not to sound like an idiot, but what does the WS stand for?

Black95se, nice clean car, man!

Would I get the same hp gains with that catback system, with OEM muffler?(putting on y-pipe, of course)
Hey, thanks for the compliment

As far as the WS goes, I think it stands for World Sport. Also, I think that you would get the same gains from the catback even with the stock muffler. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Take it easy,
Ian
Old 01-21-2004, 11:46 AM

Could I put a 95 muffler on my car and it be okay with emissions and fitment? I know of one for really cheap, and I was thinking about just picking it up.

Ian?
Others?
Old 01-21-2004, 12:20 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Get a budget y-pipe, you'd be stupid to pay more than $190 for a y. I have a WS and it's LOUD with a y-pipe. Just get a b-pipe from budget or something and a 5th gen muffler.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Big D
Get a budget y-pipe, you'd be stupid to pay more than $190 for a y. I have a WS and it's LOUD with a y-pipe. Just get a b-pipe from budget or something and a 5th gen muffler.
So, you think I should not get a whole cat-back system, Big D? What should I be able to get a 5th gen muffler for?.....$100?
Old 01-21-2004, 03:40 PM
Give me a Bud Light Holmes

get the apex'i world sport cat back it is the quietest cat back out. its a nice deep growl and you will never get pulled over for it. plus it looks really agressive. and get the warpspeed y pipe. they are 215 shipped on ebay and it is much better quality than the budget. plus i wouldnt trust a company called budget.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:45 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Like I said, get a budget y-pipe(only people who bash it are the fools who spent more cash on a different company's pipe or those who base their opinion of a product from the name of the company). The WS is hte BEST cat-back for the max in my opinion and I do suggest it but you said you want a quiet car so I suggested that you keep the stock muffler or get a 5th gen instead. Hell, get a super turbo from dynamax at murray's if you want. Those are supposed to be quiet as well and only cost $40.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:27 PM

I don't know how they only cost $40?

Will I get about the same gains if I get a cat back system and get a 5th gen muffler?
Old 01-22-2004, 06:37 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

I just went through trying to find a catback for my car after my parents slid it into a wall for me in the snow. After trying to find the "Greddy type" OBX and not being satisfied with ANY of the other choices, I went custom. The catback really doesn't add any horsepower for our cars, so I had them take the stock path to avoid even more scraping than I alerady get. I figure with 2.5" piping the stock path should be fine. In any case, I'll be posting pics within the enxt couple hours...here's a thread about it in the NE forum...more detail...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=279837
Old 01-22-2004, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by icefishing
A Cattman Y-pipe is the best. (from my reserch anyway)It's made out of T-304 Stainless steel and is mandrle bent. Stay away from stillen Y-pipes I heard they sound like(Bees in a can) Warpspeed Y-pipe is pritty good also. If you want your ehxuast to give very good gains but not sound too loud your out of luck. One or the other, you kind of hafe to decide for your self. But thermall rapping of the pipe might help with the noise a little. Stock Y-pipes on maximas really suck, so any thing is an improvement, but I hear 10- 20hp. hope this helps.
im sorry i have to defend stillen.. i have the stillen y-pipe and it sounds awesome.. people ask me what the heck do i have that makes it sound so good.. i had it a few years with no problems what so ever.. it might be a little more expensive but as far as sound goes... sweet..and also the stillen system cat back is the quietest they make.. i recently changed over to greddy at stillens request because i wanted more of a growl.. with stillen you can barely hear the exhaust..ps even with the stillen y-pipe greddy catback setup you can still hear it barely when it idles.. but when you floor it ... what a growl
Old 01-22-2004, 07:53 AM
ABK

You guys think that this mufler will be loud? http://www.speedstash.com/powertech/pt1012.jpe
I just want something that's barely louder
Old 01-22-2004, 08:24 AM

that muffler looks like it will be loud. but it's not far off from my borla pro XS. my current setup includes the budget stainless Ypipe, stock cat, courtesy ss bpipe and this muffler welded on. if i could do it again, i'd either get the OBX or switch my bpipe to a stillen or budget bpipe since my courtesy pipe tends to make the muffler hit the bumper on hard bumps w/ people in the back. also you might want to try the borla pro XL model since it's a longer muffler made for big engines. it might be more mellow. i have no droning probs, but the sound might be loud at times. it's always quiet at highway speeds though. my .2
Old 01-22-2004, 09:04 AM

thanks for the info, guys. Keep it coming!
Old 01-22-2004, 09:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Any muffler will do fine if you dont install Y pipe. The Y pipe and straight through cat back is what really makes it loud.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by JetBlackMax
Any muffler will do fine if you dont install Y pipe. The Y pipe and straight through cat back is what really makes it loud.
that's true. I do want the hp gains from the ypipe though. I just want the quietest setup for the most horse power gain. I don't know if that makes any sense. I know that is kind of an oxymoron, but if I can accomplish the same hp gains with putting after mkt y-pipe and b-pipe on a stock (or OEM 5th gen) muffler, I want to do that. I just don't want loud, droning. I like people to not be able to notice when I am flying right by them...ha ha ha.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:42 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Why not try the budget or some other y-pipe and then MAYBE a budget b-pipe, then go stock or stock-replacement for the catback and muffler? Since the rear section yields little or no gains, would it not make sense to go inexpensive in the rear section and spend the money where it makes the most difference?

Just my opinion.

I have heard that the cat-back and cat yield 2-3 HP total, and that is at best.

I would buy the Y and save my $ for other mods...
Old 01-22-2004, 10:00 AM

the stock muffler w/ free flow exhaust sound bad imho. it sounds like an old cavalier with a hole in it's muffler. my borla has a nice low rumble.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
Why not try the budget or some other y-pipe and then MAYBE a budget b-pipe, then go stock or stock-replacement for the catback and muffler? Since the rear section yields little or no gains, would it not make sense to go inexpensive in the rear section and spend the money where it makes the most difference?

Just my opinion.

I have heard that the cat-back and cat yield 2-3 HP total, and that is at best.

I would buy the Y and save my $ for other mods...
Thanks, Man! I didn't realize until recently that the hp gains for the cat-back were so little. I mean, 2 hp at best is not really anything to go spending hundreds of dollars on. It is not really anything to spend any money on. You would not even be able to feel the difference. I will just go with the y and b pipe from Budget, and pick up a 5th gen muff if I find one. Thanks again for the help, phenryiv1.

Other comments still welcome
Old 02-06-2004, 10:40 AM

any other opinions?
Old 02-06-2004, 10:46 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

any other opinions?
I thought the catback was only ~2hp after it was mentioned numerous times on here, but then someone linked to the following by mistake, thinking it was for the Y-Pipe....

http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/522

Peak of 8, average of 4...hmm.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:52 AM

interesting...
Old 02-19-2004, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by VQdriver
the stock muffler w/ free flow exhaust sound bad imho. it sounds like an old cavalier with a hole in it's muffler. my borla has a nice low rumble.
First of all, there is no way the worst maxima would sound like the best cavalier! Don't even go there! cavaliers are 4 cyl and max is 6, so it will always sound better in the exhaust. I respect your opinion, but had to say that.

By the way, I think a loud, deep exhaust is overrated and ricey. That is why I am not doing all the stuff that everyone else does. That is my opinion.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:32 AM

First of all, there is no way the worst maxima would sound like the best cavalier! Don't even go there! cavaliers are 4 cyl and max is 6, so it will always sound better in the exhaust. I respect your opinion, but had to say that.

By the way, I think a loud, deep exhaust is overrated and ricey. That is why I am not doing all the stuff that everyone else does. That is my opinion.
read it carefully. i said i thought the the maxima with ypipe, bpipe/stock muffler combo sounded like an old cavalier with a HOLE in its muffler. therefore i'm not comparing "the worst maxima with the best cavalier." to me it sounded very raspy and always growling. in fact when i first had the combo i thought i had not properly tightened the flanges correctly. it just sounded way off imho. hmm, "overrated and ricey." i'd like to see you run 14.0 with the bottleneck i call the stock axleback! i used to believe the stock muffler would suffice and that everything else was rice, until i found the right sounding muffler. it took a couple tries to find it. a properly sized freeflow muffler will provide a noticeable increase in power and response without being too loud.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:45 AM

I have a Budget Y and just had local exhaust shop put in a custom resonated B pipe, with a Dynomax superturbo muffler and SS tip - for $280.

The sound is deep at idle, throaty in the low range, then it goes quiet (all I can hear is the intake) at WOT. Stock sounding at cruising. Haven't noticed any gains.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:13 AM

how large in diameter was the b-pipe they made for you? You should have noticed a little bit. It might not be as noticeable to you as to me becaue you already have your y-pipe and have felt that, and I don't. Therefore, any little gain, I feel a lot.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:15 AM

read it carefully. i said i thought the the maxima with ypipe, bpipe/stock muffler combo sounded like an old cavalier with a HOLE in its muffler. therefore i'm not comparing "the worst maxima with the best cavalier." to me it sounded very raspy and always growling. in fact when i first had the combo i thought i had not properly tightened the flanges correctly. it just sounded way off imho. hmm, "overrated and ricey." i'd like to see you run 14.0 with the bottleneck i call the stock axleback! i used to believe the stock muffler would suffice and that everything else was rice, until i found the right sounding muffler. it took a couple tries to find it. a properly sized freeflow muffler will provide a noticeable increase in power and response without being too loud.
Which model of the borla did you get
Old 02-20-2004, 10:21 AM

how large in diameter was the b-pipe they made for you? You should have noticed a little bit. It might not be as noticeable to you as to me becaue you already have your y-pipe and have felt that, and I don't. Therefore, any little gain, I feel a lot.
I had them use 2.25" to avoid any droning.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:27 AM

I went ahead with the 2.5" because since nobody at a muffler shop like that has access to a mandrel bending machine(at least not in this entire city...they are really expensive, from what I understand), you lose a little less than a 1/4 inch through the bends from pressure bending. That way, even when I lose just a little bit, it is still bigger than a 2.25". Not that big of a deal though. Just a little power diff. prob.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:39 AM

All I was saying is that if you have ever heard a cavalier with a hole in the muffler, it sounds really really really really bad! I just don't think, even with the worst setup, that a maxima would ever sound that bad. I think if you cut everything off from the cat back, it would not sound that bad. That is all I was saying....(not a cavelier fan...it is the crappiest piece of junk Chevy makes). I can understand you saying it sounded way off if you were expecting to hear what you hear now with borla and whatever else you have.

I don't actually know what I run(I don't even have my y-pipe on yet). But I doubt that you actually saw more than maybe 0.1 off your time when putting that muffler on there rather than the stock one. We are also, however, talking about two different stock mufflers. The 5th gen are known for being a whole lot more free flowing than the 4th gen, and that is what I have. Since when is "straight back from the axle into the muffler" a "bottleneck?"
Old 02-20-2004, 06:46 PM

ORBIT, mine doesn't drone with the setup I have.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:19 PM

avoid any size changes in the exhaust. i went with a 2.25" super turbo for my G20 (RIP, rear ended, but hey, i got a maxima now) and it sounded like **** at first.

so, i decided to see how it sounded with a 2.25" cat back section with the same muffler, and voila, it sounded perfect. little deeper than stock, but quite nice.

this was with a 2.25" glasspack.

this is what i am going to do, this would probably sound quite nice, and get you maybe a couple HP. mainly, it will make it sound nice. i plan on doing this in the near future, so if you want, you can wait until i do it.

this muffler:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rt=WLK%2D17748

this resonator:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...D24214&view=33

or

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...D24236&view=33

maybe, just maybe, i can get this one to fit, which would kick cornhole. i dont think its going to happen though. this would shut the thing up nicely.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...D24213&view=33
Old 02-20-2004, 08:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'd go for the apexi WS, I have almost all of the N/A bolt on mods and its probably gonna be one of the last of the things I do (except for maybe cams?)
Old 02-20-2004, 09:17 PM
wat

Hahahahaa no way man, the curse of the Crimson blaze maximas. I was rear ended a weekend or two ago aswell. And now IM getting a new exhaust system. Pick up a Dynomax super turbo muffler off of jegs.com $43 shipped roughly. Got it today actually, its very nice, very quiet from what I hear. Do that with a 2.5" exhaust custom piping.

Quick Reply: need exhaust advice...after wreck...